Is used worth it

CombatComedy

No one says a yes or no to this. I am a young lad and this is my first PC build and i only have about 320 USD to spend on a graphics card. I have bought all of my other parts that were either on sale or were just necessary for my build. My CPU is an i5-7600k and my mobo is an ASROCK Z270 SLI/AC Killer. I have a 750 watt PSU and its a nice corsair 2017 edition (80+ bronze) . I've asked this question before but now (within the next week and a half) i can pay for my gpu. Everyone told me to buy used since the prices are outrageous currently due to the shortage due to mining and such but, is used worth it when u get no warranty and you are taking a huge risk because for all you know, it may as well be broken or break within a year of usage. Idk man, can someone help me out. (Im only running 1080p obviously) I was looking at a 1060 but new is so expensive and used scares me

(EVGA B-Stock and Nvidia stock is never literally in-stock so don't push me towards that because I have already been set up with email notifications)

10 minutes ago, CombatComedy said:

No one says a yes or no to this. I am a young lad and this is my first PC build and i only have about 320 USD to spend on a graphics card. I have bought all of my other parts that were either on sale or were just necessary for my build. My CPU is an i5-7600k and my mobo is an ASROCK Z270 SLI/AC Killer. I have a 750 watt PSU and its a nice corsair 2017 edition (80+ bronze) . I've asked this question before but now (within the next week and a half) i can pay for my gpu. Everyone told me to buy used since the prices are outrageous currently due to the shortage due to mining and such but, is used worth it when u get no warranty and you are taking a huge risk because for all you know, it may as well be broken or break within a year of usage. Idk man, can someone help me out. (Im only running 1080p obviously) I was looking at a 1060 but new is so expensive and used scares me

(EVGA B-Stock and Nvidia stock is never literally in-stock so don't push me towards that because I have already been set up with email notifications)

I would be careful of buying used online, because that can be sketchy. However, I've heard Amazon has good dispute resolution, in case something goes wrong, so IF you can find anything then that might be a good outlet. I would look on Craigslist to see if anyone in your area is selling something in that price range. Maybe they can show you that it works and everything before you buy, so you know what you're getting. I would agree with whoever told you not to buy new right now; Prices for midrange-high cost GPUs are insane. If you get really desperate, go for eBay, but I've heard enough horror stories that I really wouldn't recommend it. 

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

Only buy something from within your continent, that accepts returns, and uses PayPal.  That greatly reduces the chance of scams.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Only buy something from within your continent, that accepts returns, and uses PayPal.  That greatly reduces the chance of scams.

I agree. PayPal almost always sides with the buyer, so you're probably safe there. 

Current Desktop:

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

Just now, TraskJ said:

I agree. PayPal almost always sides with the buyer, so you're probably safe there. 

is a msi gtx 970 for 250USD worth it? will it fit my needs ( 1080p gaming )

1 minute ago, TraskJ said:

it only has 4gb of vram tho, i mean i feel as though it would run well enough for games like PUBG, CsGo, Fallout 4, GTA V, etc

Just now, CombatComedy said:

A 970 should do 1080p gaming just fine, but $250 seems a little pricey to me for a 970, though I'm not super experienced with used market or anything. A quick google says you can get one for anywhere from $200-$300 though, so that's likely a legit sale. Make sure you find out which manufacturer it's from and if it has a factory OC though; that can affect performance and pricing a little. 

Current Desktop:

I almost always buy used; I find it more interesting searching for amazing deals on parts, then simply going to a store and picking what I want.

It also usually means I get a much, much more powerful computer for my money. For instance I'm currently working on a 1500x/GTX 980 build that will end up costing me about $400. If that.

Just make sure if you're buying online, you pay with Paypal. If you're buying locally, ask to see it working. I'd personally go with online, as the deals are better and you have protection. I'd also recommend going with EVGA; their warranties are based on the product, not on a receipt.

5 minutes ago, TraskJ said:

I would be careful of buying used online, because that can be sketchy. However, I've heard Amazon has good dispute resolution, in case something goes wrong, so IF you can find anything that might be a good outlet. I would look on Craigslist to see if anyone in your area is selling something in that price range. Maybe they can show you that it boots up and everything before you buy, so you know what you're getting. I would agree with whoever told you not to buy new right now; Prices for midrange-high cost GPUs are insane. If you get really desperate, go for eBay, but I've heard enough horror stories that I really wouldn't recommend it. 

If you pay with Paypal I'd say it's just as safe, if not more safe than Amazon. eBay is perfectly safe as they generally side with the buyer, and disputes are very easy to open. Almost to the point where it's not worth being a seller.

Prices are ridiculous though. I bought an entire set up just to get a  decent GPU.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That doesn't mater in the least. I've purchased tons of stuff from over seas, never had a problem.

I've also sold hundreds of items, and I have a strict no return policy.

1 minute ago, CombatComedy said:

No, that's about $75 overvalued. Check out the Reddit Hardware Swap; I've seen lots go for around $160.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

That doesn't mater in the least. I've purchased tons of stuff from over seas, never had a problem.

I've also sold hundreds of items, and I have a strict no return policy.

Half the things I've bought from overseas has been a scam (particularly the expensive items) while everything from North America has been legitimate.  The last i7-6700k I ordered turned out to be a box of staples. xD

I'm not saying that those things definitely mean it's a scam.  You're an obvious example of how it isn't.  However, faster shipping, the ability to return, and the fact that PayPal can take the money directly from your bank account means you're much safer.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Half the things I've bought from overseas has been a scam (particularly the expensive items) while everything from North America has been legitimate.  The last i7-6700k I ordered turned out to be a box of staples. xD

I'm not saying that those things definitely mean it's a scam.  You're an obvious example of how it isn't.  However, faster shipping, the ability to return, and the fact that PayPal can take the money directly from your bank account means you're much safer.

this guy is asking for 220 USD for a relatively new 1060 3gb ( single fan EVGA superclocked ) and he lives in my area, worth? I was looking into a 6gb gpu but does it really matter if im using it for 1080p with high(erish) settings (depending on what game) i want atleast medium setting for shaders and stuff on games like PUBG

2 minutes ago, CombatComedy said:

this guy is asking for 220 USD for a relatively new 1060 3gb ( single fan EVGA superclocked ) and he lives in my area, worth? I was looking into a 6gb gpu but does it really matter if im using it for 1080p with high(erish) settings (depending on what game) i want atleast medium setting for shaders and stuff on games like PUBG

As long as he accepts PayPal, sounds like a great deal.

25 minutes ago, CombatComedy said:

Yes.

EDIT: Fuck, I'm retarded. That's USD, not CAD. So no, not really.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

As long as he accepts PayPal, sounds like a great deal.

i would meet him in person and probably pay in cash since they only live about 20 minutes away from me

1 minute ago, CombatComedy said:

i would meet him in person and probably pay in cash since they only live about 20 minutes away from me

Craigslist encourages people away from PayPal and checks of any kind, so you might have an issue if you try to do PayPal, but generally speaking that sounds fine. But $220 is about the MSRP of a GTX 1060 3gb, right? I suppose it's the best you're likely to get in this market, but still... sad to see that. I'd sell you my 6gb model for less if I still had it. 

Current Desktop:

2 minutes ago, TraskJ said:

Craigslist encourages people away from PayPal and checks of any kind, so you might have an issue if you try to do PayPal, but generally speaking that sounds fine. But $220 is about the MSRP of a GTX 1060 3gb, right? I suppose it's the best you're likely to get in this market, but still... sad to see that. I'd sell you my 6gb model for less if I still had it. 

man, in this market to get your hands on a 6gb 1060 under 260$ seems like it would require something like a sexual favor xD

1 hour ago, CombatComedy said:

Cash is fine in that case.  Just meet in a public place to reduce the risk of death by chainsaw.

2 hours ago, CombatComedy said:

How much money do you have left for a video card?

Just now, Mr. Darkwraith said:

How much money do you have left for a video card?

ive found a 3gb 1060 for 220usd, i think im fine now, thx