Wait for windows?

thomyboy34

Just got my build up and running havn't purchased a new copy of windows yet.  I also have yet to install my ssd witch i want to put windows on, can I move windows over or do I have to re use my flash drive and install it that way,  Id like to be able to access all my files and game installs.  Is this possible and if so when do i buy and activate the new windows.

Hi

Was your original Windows version on a store bought computer, or did you buy a stand alone version.

Exp :

A ) Buying a Dell computer with Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10

Or

B ) Buying a CD version of Windows 7 installing it on a computer that is not good anymore.

9 hours ago, Zmax said:

Hi

Was your original Windows version on a store bought computer, or did you buy a stand alone version.

Exp :

A ) Buying a Dell computer with Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10

Or

B ) Buying a CD version of Windows 7 installing it on a computer that is not good anymore.

I purchased a pre built pc from cyber power, upgraded don't have the key for old choppy don't really want it either, looking to just buy a key off kinguin

You won't be able to move your Windows over since it was an OEM license, which isn't valid for anything other than your previous system. You can however install Windows 10 without a product key for the time being and run your games and whatnot. You will have personalization settings and stuff like Windows Defender and Update locked for modification until you activate however, so you won't be able to control those. Everything else will work properly for 30 days.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

In my opinion. Your best option

1. Install only the new drive.
  2. Do a clean install of Windows - Look on YouTube on how to
  3. Install your games. once windows as finish, and any drivers you need
  4. Connect old drive
  5. Transfer any info you want to keep.
  6. Format second drive, keep it as more space.

Some games have a folder for saved game you may want to have a look for that.

Luck

As I believe your question was answered, I'll just say for your computer, when you'll set it up:

• Make sure that (in your UEFI):
    • UEFI is enabled
    • CSM is disabled
    • XMP is set to Profile 1
    • SATA controller is set to AHCI mode if you have a SATA non-RAID drive
    • And nothing is set to Legacy mode
    • Enable Fast Boot
    • Enable Secure Boot
  • Make sure your SSD/HDD that Windows will be installed on, if it is a SATA drive to connect it to SATA 0
  • When you install Windows 10, take your time. Let Windows do it's stuff. So once you first login and you see the desktop for the first time, your account is still being prepared. Lots of activity is happening, and at the same time, Apps are being installed, Windows Update has started, and Indexing has already started. Just let it do its thing. Give it time. Once the start menu will not have any down arrow anywhere on the tiles, and WIndows Update says that they are no more updates, now you are ready. Open the Store app, tap the "..." then pick "Download and updates" and hit the "Get updates" button, this will check for the built-in programs updates. Do not start uninstalling apps until this is done. As already at this stage, it already started on the back doing the updates, and you'll end up with a conflct to deal with later. So let it do it's thing, and then you'll uninstall what you don't care about after.
  • Once done, now you can install any missing or outdated drivers
  • Restart, and now you can start installing your programs one by one.
  • And once that is all done,a and everything is fine, now you can transfer your data to the system.