RGB Control Software

cluelessgenius

ok, so i thought it would be nice if there was a software combining all rgb hardware.

meaning that you could control all the different types of motherboards, gpus, ram, keyboards, mice, hue lamp, and so on (maybe even an app that captures whatsapp and other events as triggers?) in one place

and then configure them in a sort of IFTTT fashion

with programmable animations/effects and it could even incoorporate pixel capture so you could make it react to in-game events for games that dont support it.

so i think im gonna start something like that as an open repository.

this post is just because i would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on the matter. and if the community would be interested in using something like that or if imm gonna be doing this just for me.

personally i think theres too many specific options out there and a unified place to do it all would be nice and also im kinda not satisfied with the customization offered by the oem software so i thought id make my own .

i already researched a couple of solutions on how to adress hardware from code so with time im sure this could grow to be very extensive.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

also if someone has a name suggestion for the softare that would be great :D

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Hey cluelessgenius,

Eventhough I'm not into RGB, this sounds like a great idea. Would it be too much to ask you to keep us posted on the progress?

For the name, I'd suggest something simple yet thoughtful, maybe Cyclopes (The three giants that made Zeus' lightning-bolts in greek mythology).

2 minutes ago, kamoper said:

Hey cluelessgenius,

Eventhough I'm not into RGB, this sounds like a great idea. Would it be too much to ask you to keep us posted on the progress?

For the name, I'd suggest something simple yet thoughtful, maybe Cyclopes (The three giants that made Zeus' lightning-bolts in greek mythology).

Not even sure how to pronounce Cyclopes, Sigh-klo-pez? Maybe a shortened version like Cyclo?

1 minute ago, kamoper said:

Hey cluelessgenius,

:D greek mythology huh? like the genera idea but cyclopes just doesnt quite roll off the tunge.

i do agree that im also not that into the whole RGB thing but for me i feel thats mostly because its usually very overdone and rainbowy so it gets overwhelming fast. me personally i would configure it to static or with some sutale wavy effect and then be mostly inteesteed in triggering indicator lights for certain events. 

and obviously im gonna try to post progress on here but as soon as the github is up youll fid the latest news on on progress there.

Well, if you say you want it organized to stop the chaos. I'd suggest Hyperion then (a titan connected to watchfulness, wisdom and light). The name rolls off your tongue quite easily and thanks to Borderlands everyone knows the name.

also while implementing this i would rely heavily on user feedback. by that i mean i would only implement what i personally find interesting or what was requested by users. so nobody come crying telling me it only does these 3 things i cant even.. if you want functionality that isnt there youd just have to suggest it and id think about how doable it is.

I think the LTT forum is able to provide enough users willing to give you some feedback and maybe try out different versions of the controller-software.

1 minute ago, kamoper said:

Well, if you say you want it organized to stop the chaos. I'd suggest Hyperion then (a titan connected to watchfulness, wisdom and light). The name rolls off your tongue quite easily and thanks to Borderlands everyone knows the name.

like it. kinda worried about it already being used somewhere by someone. will have to check availability

3 minutes ago, kamoper said:

just saw that there already a software called hyperion for diy ambilight on tvs. not sure what determines wether i can use a name or not.

As it is gonna be a standalone, you could go with something really simple as well. Maybe just name it RGB-Master-Controller or something like that.

54 minutes ago, kamoper said:

As it is gonna be a standalone, you could go with something really simple as well. Maybe just name it RGB-Master-Controller or something like that.

nah i went with Hyperion now thanks for the suggestion ;)

so i think im gonna start buy covering the functionality other software already offers. starting with my asus z270i board/ asus aura.

and while im add it and since its the same sdk that also includes my trident z rgb ram by gskill

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The biggest hurdle in creating an all-in-one RGB control solution is to figure out how everyone sends data to control their respective RGB things.

I was going to write a comment to this effect, but I have to disagree that that's the biggest hurdle.

The biggest hurdle to writing software to control all RGB components is finding all the RGB components (or RGB component families, where a family of components is a group that uses the same driver) that need to be controlled. For this reason, this is an extremely maintenance and hardware testing intensive project that will never be complete.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

19 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The biggest hurdle in creating an all-in-one RGB control solution is to figure out how everyone sends data to control their respective RGB things.

well yeah. but from what i have seen so far there is always a way to figure it out somehow.

14 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I was going to write a comment to this effect, but I have to disagree that that's the biggest hurdle.

The biggest hurdle to writing software to control all RGB components is finding all the RGB components (or RGB component families, where a family of components is a group that uses the same driver) that need to be controlled. For this reason, this is an extremely maintenance and hardware testing intensive project that will never be complete.

yes. on all points yes. i still think the idea is better than making everyone use X amount of different programs. but its true that i can only include functionality i can test therefore only support hardware i have.

maybe over time other contributors can test some functions as well. or if this should get really really big i could also imagine setting up some form of funding where if enough people want support for a certain hardware i dont have they each donate whatever they feel is right and once the donations hit the cost of whatever hardware they want supported then i could implement it and test it. 

but for now id only rely on user feedback and even then id have to "fix" it "blindly" and rely again on their feedback if that did it or its still a problem. 

but hey this is all open source so maybe other developer will want to contribute in the future who knows

22 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

also things would get easier if all manufacturers could finally agree on a common standard how lights bulbs are starting to do where philips and osram all those at least kinda start to be compatible with each others hubs/bridges

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

also things would get easier if all manufacturers could finally agree on a common standard how lights bulbs are starting to do where philips and osram all those at least kinda start to be compatible with each others hubs/bridges

The technology is still extremely new, and rather competitive. I doubt we will ever see RGB component standardization, because it's not necessary.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

14 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

don't use the name. Prismatik is also a bad name, same problem. 

Hyperion is famous and you don't want to fight against many SEO in google search.

so what name would you suggest?

alright so the initial github at least is up now and anyone interested is welcome to contribute. right now its basically empty though ill start coding myself later tonight when i get home.

while im coding i just realized coming up with a logo that nobody has used yet is gonna be way harder 

This is a great idea: even though I'm not very much into RGB I do own a few parts that each require a different program to control.

Sorry if this comes out as a dumb question, but how would you go about including a certain piece of hardware if there are no open source drivers for it? Could you also post a guide on doing so? I think it would greatly help others to contribute more easily.

8 hours ago, top_line said:

This is a great idea: even though I'm not very much into RGB I do own a few parts that each require a different program to control.

Sorry if this comes out as a dumb question, but how would you go about including a certain piece of hardware if there are no open source drivers for it? Could you also post a guide on doing so? I think it would greatly help others to contribute more easily.

well there are a couple of ways to go about it. some manufacturers like asus and corsair for example have sdk's you can use some like phillips have api's and for keaboards i even saw a guy reverse engineering it from the signal going over usb to figure out what signals he needs to send to basically imitate the oem software. but if you look for sdk or api for a specific brand youll usually find something or at least someone who already tried from scratch and you can build on that.

id gladly deliver a guide on how to do it once its done but what would that look like? the code will be up and for everyone to see. 

also there is quite a bit of conceptional work im doing right now. i dont just want to make what already there thats boring. i thinking on how to make plannable tasks with triggers, targets (devices) and action (effects). also making an easy to use UI will be something ill have to address once people complain :D