Which is bad, Router or ISP

Bakerking31

EDIT:  This was solved due to my own stupidity.  thank you for looking.  Leaving it here in case anyone searches in the future.

I need some help identifying an issue.  I will detail the issue and what I have done as well as my hardware.

Issue: Internet connectivity is hit and miss.  Some sites load others do not.  I cannot load Microsoft or get any updates, cant load origin (battlefield), Linksys's site, and cannot load Pandora.  I can load Cnet, Google, YouTube ... Issue started today but for the last few days I was getting slower than expected (half of normal) internet speeds.  This is both wired and wireless.

Hardware:

Frontier Fios ONT to Ethernet, Ethernet from the ISP plugs into my router directly.  There is no modem.  Router is a Linksys wrt1900ac and is 2-3 years old.

Trouble shooting: 

- For other reasons I thought the issue was only on my desktop and I was having issues with Origin anyway so I have done a full, fresh install of windows 10.  kept nothing.

- I set my router up to use Googles DNS (8.8.8.8) and this helped.  I was not getting google.com before and now I do.

- I confirmed this is an issue network wide on all devices

- I used my phone as a wifi hotspot and everything works as expected.  ( I am writing using this workaround now)

- I have tried the netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log, and netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log - no impact

- I have flushed DNS

- Factory reset on router

- Took the Ethernet coming from the ONT and plugged it directly into my computer (same results but I am not sure if this means anything since it bypassed my router it may be an ip thing?  I don't know much about this side).

I don't know how I can verify if the issue is on my ISP side or on my router side at this point.  I am leaning to my ISP just because of the last point.

i5-6600k @ 4.5ghz || XFX RX-480 GTR || 16gb DDR4 || Lots of SSD's.

What is your rated internet speed?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

100/100

I am getting full speed now by the way, its just 70% of sites don't load.

Is this over DSL or Cable? Get your ISP to run a line check on it.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Does your ISP have any router settings you can access?

1. Type cmd in the windows search bar and click on the first result

2. Run the command 'ipconfig/all'

3. Find you IP adress (should be on the second line of Default Gateway)

4. Put that into a browser and search

5. If the website asks for administrator passwords, it should be written on the sticker on your router

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Im betting its the ISP. Frontier is a SHIT ISP from what I have read. They took over Verizon DSL and Fiber services in several states and fucked it up pretty bad. Id contact them and have a tech out. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

So I feel like an idiot, sorry for wasting your time.

I tried calling my ISP a few times today but they had several hour long hold times.  I tried back just as I posted this and got through.  Discover moved my card to a different (higher level card) a few months ago and I must have had this bill on autopay on the card because they said my account was past due which coincided with the time my new card arrived.  I didn't think I had anything on it that was autopay.

anyway.  I am surprised I could change to googles DNS and still get a decent number of sites with suspended service.

On 2/20/2018 at 11:07 PM, Bakerking31 said:

So I feel like an idiot, sorry for wasting your time.

I tried calling my ISP a few times today but they had several hour long hold times.  I tried back just as I posted this and got through.  Discover moved my card to a different (higher level card) a few months ago and I must have had this bill on autopay on the card because they said my account was past due which coincided with the time my new card arrived.  I didn't think I had anything on it that was autopay.

anyway.  I am surprised I could change to googles DNS and still get a decent number of sites with suspended service.

Lol dont worry about it...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :(