is this a good camera?

Ashleyyyy

i constantly get dissapointed by the camera on my phone, so i want to get a decent camera.

not anything too advanced, i'm not doing anything special. i just want to make "good" and clear photo's. 

i saw this one: https://www.canon.nl/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/powershot/powershot_sx540_hs/

(excuse the dutch site, you can google the model to get it in your own language)

i want to know if that's a good camera. i don't know anything about them, so that's why i ask here. 

She/Her

This should do exactly what you want. Just make sure you do some research on good framing, focus, and exposure. Those three things really make or break a photo, not just the hardware. 

On 2/20/2018 at 7:19 AM, Ianchu said:

This should do exactly what you want.

thanks!

On 2/20/2018 at 7:19 AM, Ianchu said:

Just make sure you do some research on good framing, focus, and exposure. Those three things really make or break a photo, not just the hardware. 

okay, i'll do that. 

@Ianchu i found this one: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is used for a good deal. is it good enough as well? 

She/Her

It isn't bad, just dated. I would go with the first one if you could though.

3 minutes ago, Ianchu said:

It isn't bad, just dated. I would go with the first one if you could though.

it's a bit expensive.. i want to get used to a dedicated camera first i think, before i spend so much money

She/Her

57 minutes ago, Ianchu said:

What is your budget?

around €300 at most. i'd like cheaper though...

She/Her

1 hour ago, Ianchu said:

This one might be up your ally. I am a fan of the Lumix series and you can get one used for around your price range. It is small and offers great image quality.

Panasonic-DMC-TZ81EG-K-Traveller

that seems to only be available in germany, or is €400+ here...

EDIT: not available used either. 

She/Her

Oh bummer. Sorry not use to looking internationally haha. But if you can find a point and shoot for the price range you have that would probably be best. Anything with swap able lenses will raise the price quite a bit.

4 hours ago, Ianchu said:

Oh bummer. Sorry not use to looking internationally haha. But if you can find a point and shoot for the price range you have that would probably be best. Anything with swap able lenses will raise the price quite a bit.

i'm getting a good deal on that older camera, so i'll think i'm going to get that first, get used to it a little bit, and then get something better. 

She/Her

Sounds like a plan! Good luck! If you get a chance post some of your shots, I would love to see them!

30 minutes ago, Ianchu said:

Sounds like a plan! Good luck!

thanks! 

31 minutes ago, Ianchu said:

If you get a chance post some of your shots, I would love to see them!

is there a topic for that?

She/Her

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

is there a topic for that?

Just post it here :P

On 2/20/2018 at 10:26 AM, firelighter487 said:

@Ianchu i found this one: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is used for a good deal. is it good enough as well? 

Being a owner of this camera as long as the lens and internals is in good condition it will work great. Avoid the digital zoom, it's cancer.

I'm assuming you're going for the camera?

If so buy this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/58-mm-58mm-Conversion-Tube-Lens-Adapter-For-Canon-S3-S5/401247651720 (don't panic about it being the last one or sold out, there are plenty on ebay and might find it locally, avoid the canon ones as if my memory serves they are PLASTIC and over priced). It gives you the ability to add filters and additional lenses Like my Raynox DCR-2025PRO. I wouldn't invest heavily into the camera (aka don't buy the lens i just mentioned) because as mentioned it is old. However a lot of the filters are good on various canon DSLR lenses.

Here are 2 pictures from the S5 (had a hard time trying to find them because it became my destroy toy after I got the SX40).

Use rechargeable AA batteries, because it will suck the alkaline ones dry fairly fast using flash...

Spoiler

imageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db8Taken from the Toronto Islands back in 2009. It was cloudy... I didn't bring my Raynox (too bulky)_MG_0908.thumb.JPG.cfe322403c38ef68842045d12102b494.JPG

This boat is in the right hand corner. I'm sure it was fully zoomed in

_MG_0897.thumb.JPG.b16b2dd345e5396616c1439fb89d4c6a.JPG

On 22/02/2018 at 8:55 PM, Ianchu said:

If you get a chance post some of your shots, I would love to see them!

here you go:

IMG_0034.thumb.JPG.3ef1525bd6c8d048e6612e23620d44e5.JPG

She/Her

out of curiosity what phone do you have?

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

14 minutes ago, cc143 said:

out of curiosity what phone do you have?

Sony XA1. the camera isn't bad, but it just hates low light and closeups... it doesn't like that at all. it makes some things in images very noisy as well. 

example:

(look at the icons on the functionwheel on the camera, and the "canon" on the strap on the right)

DSC_0616.thumb.JPG.7b95528640f296d8ac8ffe4d74e03ae0.JPG

She/Her