How to stop Windows 7 dual-boot breaking Windows 10

Hello,

My main OS is Windows 10 installed on my boot SSD and I also have Windows 7 on another hard drive so I can boot either (because Sims 2 is no longer compatible with Windows 10 and I want to play it).

I has been working fine for about a month, until yesterday when I booted Windows 7 and it performed a disk check. This disk check seemed to remove/edit all the Windows 10 files it found and basically broke it, so I could no longer boot Windows 10.

I had to format my SSD and reinstall Windows 10. I'm now wondering what is the best way to prevent anything like this from ever happening again (perhaps Windows 10 will decide to break my Windows 7 next time).

I believe I have been able to exclude my Windows 10 drive from the automatic Windows 7 disk checks, but is there anything else I can do?

Advice?

Maybe disable Windows updating? Cause that is one of the problem I had

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

install windows 7 on a separate boot record / booting from its own hdd.

Whats happening right now is you're installing w7 on a different drive but sharing the same boot record on ssd with w10.

Usually this won't be a problem, but since you have one, you may want to try this.

- unplug ssd

- boot to w7 install disk and select repair installation, it will warn that no master boot record found, recreate the mbr on the same hdd.

- boot back to w7

- shutdown and plug the ssd

- the pc will auto start w10

- if you want to start w7, press f9 in bios screen and select the w7 disk.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

39 minutes ago, Gabby2805 said:

<SNIP>

Easiest solution would be to get Sims 2 on Origin, I got it for free because they gave it away a while ago. That copy definitely works on Windows 10. My original copy works fine on Windows 10 too though for some reason. Maybe it's fixed already?

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

1 minute ago, MSWindowsinside said:

Easiest solution would be to get Sims 2 on Origin, I got it for free because they gave it away a while ago. That copy definitely works on Windows 10. My original copy works fine on Windows 10 too though for some reason. Maybe it's fixed already?

Thank you for your suggestion, I wish this worked for me. Don't even get me started on all the trouble I had trying to get Sims 2 working againxD Its always been fine until the latest Windows 10 update (1709). I managed to get the Origin version but that didn't work either. I tried so many things but it seems there is an incompatibility between Sims 2, Windows 10 1709, and GTX 1080s (and similar cards). That's why I went for this elaborate solution of getting Windows 7 just to be able to play it again.

Thanks again anyway, glad its working for you.

6 hours ago, MSWindowsinside said:

Sims 2 on Origin? I haven't seen it there, and a search shows that it's not available through Origin, but only as a used disc copy.

How long ago were they giving it away for free?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

This happened to me. I found a really old thread on Microsoft Answers (for XP of all things). The fix worked for me under W7.

Under W7, my W10 drive is mapped to H:/

Open Regedit and go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Click on BootExecute. 

This key is normally set to autocheck autochk *

Just add /K:H at the end before *.

So for example the new key is "autocheck autochk /k:H *"

If you have extra drives you can add these as shown below

autocheck autochk /k:H /k:I *

• 5 months later...
On 19/02/2018 at 10:19 PM, Delicieuxz said:

Sims 2 on Origin? I haven't seen it there, and a search shows that it's not available through Origin, but only as a used disc copy.

How long ago were they giving it away for free?

Sorry for the late reply, it was a while ago that they gave it away for free and I think it was only for a couple of days (an anniversary or something). But I contacted them and said my disc versions weren't working so they gave me a copy of the digital version to try - I had to prove that I own the discs though so that I could get it for free.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's comments and to share that my solution is simply unplugging the Windows 7 drive when I'm not using it and unplugging my others when I am - it is a little bit of a faff but it avoids problems and it's only for one game after all.