HDD to SSD: Move or fresh install?

Now before you spam "Fresh Install", read this,

I am replacing the HDD of a laptop with an SSD, my only concern is, How will I activate Windows again if I do a fresh install, cause laptops come with the OEM version right? 

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Now before you spam "Fresh Install", read this,

I am replacing the HDD of a laptop with an SSD, my only concern is, How will I activate Windows again if I do a fresh install, cause laptops come with the OEM version right? 

Thanks!

Before reinstalling I would suggest you e-mail the manufacturer of your laptop and ask for the windows key because you recently bought an SSD to upgrade blah-blah. You should know the drill. And maybe that would work. If not, the only thing you could do is move the files, in order not to lose the windows key. PS: Check the laptop's box or the end of it. Mine had the windows activating key wrote on a tiny piece of paper glued to the back of the laptop.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

When I did that before, I just phoned the manufacturer and told them my hard drive broke and they had no issues moving my licence.

3 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

Before reinstalling I would suggest you e-mail the manufacturer of your laptop and ask for the windows key because you recently bought an SSD to upgrade blah-blah. You should know the drill. And maybe that would work. If not, the only thing you could do is move the files, in order not to lose the windows key. PS: Check the laptop's box or the end of it. Mine had the windows activating key wrote on a tiny piece of paper glued to the back of the laptop.

Just now, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

When I did that before, I just phoned the manufacturer and told them my hard drive broke and they had no issues moving my licence.

Thanks a lot! :) 

License key is bundled with mobo, the key will automatically activate when installing Windows

Edit: I'd done it myself

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128