Headphones OR Headset * Wireless & Comfortable"

Hey everybody!

I've saved money for a few months now to buy a new headset and the time has come.

I want a good audio system and would like some tips/advices/opinions/personal experience from you guys to help me make this choice. I must say that I'm not an English speaker so my apologies for any English mistakes I may make.

I will use it for mostly gaming and listening to music. I play a variety of games but I do play FPS games so a good "locational audio" is certainly a good thing.

I'm going to the US in January and I'll have about a week to buy the audio system on the internet so, if the product is available on amazon, etc it's a plus (or a must, perhaps). I can pay up to $200 but I can go a little higher if it is really worth it.

What I want is an audio system that is:

- Comfortable: I currently use a cheap headset that I have for a few years now. It's a random 15 bucks crap and it's not comfortable at all. After wearing it for 15 minutes my head and ears start to hurt so bad that I just HAVE to switch to my earplugs and "lose" my mic because I just can't stand the pain(I'm not being a winning baby here. It does make me want to cut my ears off to alleviate the pain). So, anything that is comfortable for 5, 6 hours of straight use is what I look for. I live in a hot place so if the headphones/headset have some "sweat foam control" it's also good. I've read that those leather-ish(pleather) covers might make one sweat a bit around the ears.

- Wireless: My keyboard and mouse are wireless. I like to use the computer from my bed when not gaming so that's why everything is wireless. When you have wireless stuff that actually work as good as the wired ones you kind of get addicted to it. Therefore the audio system must be wireless. I can live with a wired microphone though, because if I need to talk I'll most certainly be on my desk. Regarding the range the system works I don't really care. Working for 2m/6ft. is all I need.

Durable: I really need something that will last for a long time. I don't want it to last for 10 years but, at least, for 4 years because I don't know when I'll have the chance to buy another one in the future. I know that shit happens but I will take good care of it, it won't get out of the headphone support I will hang on the wall, it won't get sit on, etc. If it fails, it's because it was broken before reaching my hands. I know the battery will eventually die but I am prepared for that and it's ok.

Having said that, I looked for a few audio systems and all I could find were "gaming" headsets. Most of them with 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. I know that a 2.1 stereo sound is as good as the surround sound for games and maybe better for music/movies, so I don't really care about the surround feature.

I am currently between these two wireless headsets:

Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Dolby 7.1 Gaming Headset (V2100) - $130

My opinion from reading reviews and stuff is that it's overall a really good headset and cheap when compared to other 7.1 wireless headsets. 

It has large 50mm drivers ("Large diameter, circumaural ear cups - Blocks distracting sounds and keeps your head in the game"). This is definitely a good thing as I think I have a kind of average-big ears and I really care about it being comfy for a few hours of use. Also, the pads turn 90 degrees which I think is a good thing.

Only negative sides I could find were that the audio-card buit-in is not that great and the headset stops working if there are walls between you and the usb antenna.

Skullcandy PLYR1 7.1 Surround Sound Wireless Gaming Headset (SMPYFY-003) - $170

It has a "EQ3 EQUILIZER MODES - Sound equalization settings for games, music and movies Precision Mode, Supreme Mode, and Bass Mode" and this looks cool because it might improve sound quality depending on what you're gonna use the headset for. Something cool about this is that you can actually turn Off the Dolby 7.1 surround so it becomes a 2.1 stereo headset. You can adjust the voice x game volume turning the game volume higher or lower versus the voice volume. I don't really know how this works because what if you are using a third party program for communication like RC, TS, Skype? Will it work too? Or only if you're using the VOIP built-in?

The negative sides of the PLYR1 are the price (if compared to the V2100); the pads do not rotate on the horizontal axis (the X axis) to fit your head like most headsets; and also the pads do not turn 90 degrees (to rest in your shoulders) but I don't think this is a big deal.

I looked at the A50s from Astro Gaming but they are too expensive for the negative sides I found on the internet. I also looked for the G930 but its build is really cheap so it's not worth spending $100 on it. I really wanted to find the Wireless A40s but apparently they don't make them anymore.

If I were to buy it today, I would buy the PLYR1 but I really hope someone can change my mind or make me feel less afraid of buying!

I wanna hear what you guys think and have in mind that I would also buy a headphone if it's got those three things I pointed out in bold.

Thanks a lot in advance!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

I would go for the corsair ones, they are the best value

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Corsair 2100

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I do in general like the sound of my corsair 2000 but that thing is absolute rubbish for positional audio 

I also can still hear stuff from the computer one floor above or below, it is a bit dicey when I go 2 floors away from it

if you really want positional audio go with an ath ad700(x) because none of these "gaming" headsets is going to give you great positional audio without doing the annoying and shitifying 7.1 virtualizers 

The 2100. Corsair has never failed me but Skullycandy has many times

I would be looking into headphones over a headset. Just be aware that 7.1 isn't better than stereo for positional accuracy. If you actually want position accuracy as a requirement, look at open ear headphones. I have to admit I would never go near these types of headsets (brands/gaming) but maybe that's just me.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

@smjpl I don't really care about 7.1 surround sound as I mentioned in the first post... What I really need is something that won't let me down, like @TheFartBall said.

The difference in price of the V2100 over PLYR1 is what makes me think Skullcandy is like beats, a hipster equipment.

What I personally don't like about V2100 is the "cheap looking" antenna/conector and the power on button. I think I won't know when it's On or Off, can you enlight me here, @Aphexx?. But the headset has large pads that rotates to fit your head best and to rest on your shoulder... On the other hand, the PLYR1 can actually turn off the 7.1 "shit" and work as a 2.1 stereo headset...

Maybe the $50 difference isn't worth because of a (maybe) better positional audio of the PLYR1 over V2100...

I didn't find any ad700(x) wireless... this wireless feature narrows down the number of options :(

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

I didn't find any ad700(x) wireless... this wireless feature narrows down the number of options :(

The best headphones generally aren't wireless. :( I just stick to wired headphones.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

the ad700 is for getting the best in positional audio and like I said earlier the corsair is shit for positional audio. there is a button to disable the dolby headphone which is their "7.1" virtual shitifyers 

there is a blue led under the power button to indicate if the headset is on 

and there is an antennae on the corsair? huh?

also the respectable wireless solution is the sennheiser RS 180 or 220 people have suspected that they use sennheiser 5xx and 6xx drivers on them. they probably are better for positional audio but you are paying a premium for the sennheiser solution. 

The best headphones generally aren't wireless. :( I just stick to wired headphones.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. If I were to buy a wired headphone I'd probably go with the A40 because I've tested it out and I just loved it... But I really need it to be wireless otherwise everything I do using the PC apart from gaming will have to be done in my desk...

the ad700 is for getting the best in positional audio and like I said earlier the corsair is shit for positional audio. there is a button to disable the dolby headphone which is their "7.1" virtual shitifyers 

there is a blue led under the power button to indicate if the headset is on 

and there is an antennae on the corsair? huh?

also the respectable wireless solution is the sennheiser RS 180 or 220 people have suspected that they use sennheiser 5xx and 6xx drivers on them. they probably are better for positional audio but you are paying a premium for the sennheiser solution. 

The antenna I mean is the USB wireless receiver/transmitter. Other systems have a big box for it, even though they are also used to hang the headphones, but it looks like the sound card is a little worse because of the size.

The RS180 is a bit pricy but it's a possibility. Only downside is that I could buy two V2100s with that money... so I don't know if it's actually worth it. If anyone has a V2100 and could talk a little bit about the positional audio being good or bad it'd be awesome. Gonna look for that information on the internet as well...

EDIT: Uhm.. this is helping: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/75134-corsair-vengeance-2100-or-logitech-g930/

... I'd probably go with the A40 because I've tested it out and I just loved it...

Did you not hear what I said about gaming brands? Astro's are no exception. :P

Did you not hear what I said about gaming brands? Astro's are no exception. :P

You are right. It's hard to compare sound quality of headphones with headsets... I guess it's a tradeoff for having a microphone or something.

After reading a bit, I am almost discarding PLYR1. Now I believe I'm choosing between the wireless Sennheiser RS 180 ($240) + an inexpensive mic or the Vengeance 2100 ($130)...

@Aphexx do you believe the V2100 can have an average~good positional audio/queues when you use the 2.0 Stereo from that driver software from Corsair? If it's not total crap, I think my search might be over.

In order to choose the RS 180 over the V2100, I need to know if it's comfortable for a long period of time, if it's durable and bulky without being that heavy (V2100 weighs 370 grams I believe) and if, on the long run, it's gonna be a better option.

If the RS 180 is something that will last for 8, 9 years even if the battery life decreases over time, I might go for it...

The V2100 has the option to use it while charging so, even if the battery life is 10 minutes, the headset won't be useless, it will just become wired... I don't think RS 180 has this.

the positional audio is probably average as far as gaming headsets go. 

I have audio technica and beyerdynamic headphones that I use for real audio so I am very tough on things especially if it affects my K/D ratio and the corsair and gaming headphones make me stop for a second and process things 

battery lasts about 8-10 hours as advertised. and I've done a few sessions of over 10 hours with them on the whole time. 

search in this forum I've written pages and pages on the corsair before. 

the positional audio is probably average as far as gaming headsets go. 

I have audio technica and beyerdynamic headphones that I use for real audio so I am very tough on things especially if it affects my K/D ratio and the corsair and gaming headphones make me stop for a second and process things 

battery lasts about 8-10 hours as advertised. and I've done a few sessions of over 10 hours with them on the whole time. 

search in this forum I've written pages and pages on the corsair before. 

As you can see, I don't have much experience in this field.

I don't really care for the audio from songs/movies as I have some big speakers so, as long as it's not completely shitty, I can bear it. My current headphones are not comfortable at all but the audio is just what I need. It's from a random brand called C3 Tech so you can imagine what's "just fine" for me.

Having said that, I believe that as long as I can hear the footsteps and kind of know where are they coming from, it's just fine.

I read a few things you posted and I hope the V2100 will be enough for 3 or 4 years and, for my next audio system, I'll get an audiophile wireless headphone, like the RS 180/220 but I think it's too expensive for now.

So, if there isn't something real bad about the V2100 I think that it's gonna be what I'm looking for and at a good price range.

I read a few things you posted and I hope the V2100 will be enough for 3 or 4 years and, for my next audio system, I'll get an audiophile wireless headphone, like the RS 180/220 but I think it's too expensive for now.

By then, there might even be better options. :)

By then, there might even be better options. :)

Exactly, that is the point. RS 180 and etc might be chaper because of more options in the market.

Exactly, that is the point. RS 180 and etc might be chaper because of more options in the market.

Haha, that doesn't sound like Sennheiser, but you never know.