Coil whine after dropping my PC

I started healing some coil whine in my desktop after I dropped it. The PC stood in a 90 degree angel when I lost grip and it hit the floor. What could couse this coil whine. I now have coil whine on both my gpu and the motherboard around the cpu area. The motherboard coil whine might have been there from before. It is a few weeks since I dropped it and it has worked since then. Should I be worried that it might stop working after a while?

2 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

I started healing some coil whine in my desktop after I dropped it. The PC stood in a 90 degree angel when I lost grip and it hit the floor. What could couse this coil whine. I now have coil whine on both my gpu and the motherboard around the cpu area. The motherboard coil whine might have been there from before. It is a few weeks since I dropped it and it has worked since then. Should I be worried that it might stop working after a while?

the coils probably moved a bit when you dropped your PC; hence the coil whine. No, your PC won't stop working it would've done that way before if it was going to. Try running heaven for a while and it might get rid of the whine.

6 minutes ago, Assassinguy2623 said:

the coils probably moved a bit when you dropped your PC; hence the coil whine. No, your PC won't stop working it would've done that way before if it was going to. Try running heaven for a while and it might get rid of the whine.

Are you sure? I have only used it for maybe 15 hours since i dropped it.

28 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

Are you sure? I have only used it for maybe 15 hours since i dropped it.

No one can say for sure but you at least know they are still attached. Otherwise they wouldn't make noise anymore.

These coils are inside of some 'glue' (silicone paste I believe) to keep them from audibly vibrating (which is normal). I think that one of your coils managed to shake itself loose when it dropped and isn't kept from vibrating anymore.

It might have been damaged in the drop but I would continue to use it like normal. It's not worth it to replace or try to fix it and break something just because something might be broken.

Are you hearing this noise from the computer itself or through your audio source?

1 minute ago, Aakburns said:

Are you hearing this noise from the computer itself or through your audio source?

Computer itself

There's not likely anything you'll be able to do about this.  This happened to me once, not from drop-age.

My solution that did work on that computer, running the cpu at full all the time.  This never made anything bad happen, though I'm not telling you to do it.

3 minutes ago, Aakburns said:

There's not likely anything you'll be able to do about this.  This happened to me once, not from drop-age.

My solution that did work on that computer, running the cpu at full all the time.  This never made anything bad happen, though I'm not telling you to do it.

Do you think the pc will keep working?

Mine ran just fine.  If the coil whine doesn't come through your headphones or speakers, I would change nothing.

My coil whine came through my speakers, it was awful.

2 minutes ago, Aakburns said:

Mine ran just fine.  If the coil whine doesn't come through your headphones or speakers, I would change nothing.

My coil whine came through my speakers, it was awful.

How can coil whine come through speakes?

Well, I use active speakers, so they are powered. 'Studio Monitors'

Here's what I later learned.  I was using unbalanced cables, that's what let the coil whine come through the speakers.  Switched to balanced cables solved the problem. 

I was then able to stop running my cpu so hot.

4 minutes ago, Aakburns said:

Well, I use active speakers, so they are powered. 'Studio Monitors'

Here's what I later learned.  I was using unbalanced cables, that's what let the coil whine come through the speakers.  Switched to balanced cables solved the problem. 

I was then able to stop running my cpu so hot.

How did you keep your cpu at full load all the time?

You will have to do some research, because I don't recall exactly how I did it.  However, there are a lot of hidden options in advanced power settings.  Do some googling, there are ways to get the hidden options to show up.  It's a registry editing experience.

image.png.61e4ad23e341701673a8f070ef33a619.png

image.png

13 hours ago, DumbTrollface said:

No one can say for sure but you at least know they are still attached. Otherwise they wouldn't make noise anymore.

These coils are inside of some 'glue' (silicone paste I believe) to keep them from audibly vibrating (which is normal). I think that one of your coils managed to shake itself loose when it dropped and isn't kept from vibrating anymore.

It might have been damaged in the drop but I would continue to use it like normal. It's not worth it to replace or try to fix it and break something just because something might be broken.

But if the coils vibrate can they not vibrate out of place and fall of or lose contact if they already are a bit loose after the fall. Also are there any other things that can have caused it.

14 hours ago, Assassinguy2623 said:

The coil whine on the motherboard is much more silent than the coil whine on the gpu. The coik whine on my motherboard is only audible if I hold my ear right next to the motherboard. The coil whine on my gpu is audible if I just stick my ear next to my pc. But can both still be coil whine?

3 hours ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

But if the coils vibrate can they not vibrate out of place and fall of or lose contact if they already are a bit loose after the fall. Also are there any other things that can have caused it.

2 hours ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

... But can both still be coil whine?

Coil whine itself is completely normal since every coil does vibrate at (and depending on) load. So it might have been there all along.

I am by no means an expert but I'd say that its fine.