delid + liquid metal for i7 8700 in laptop.

Pachuca

I'm purchasing a custom gaming laptop, and there's an option to either get delid + liquid metal for cooling on the 8700 or 8700k. I have no experience with liquid metal and from what I've read online liquid metal ages poorly compared to traditional thermal paste. Is this true and is there anything I can do to avoid it? Also, is it worth it to delid+liquid metal cool the cpu in a gaming laptop or should I just use it as is. Budget is not a concern here, i'm interested in best performance and longevity of the cpu.

31 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

I'm purchasing a custom gaming laptop, and there's an option to either get delid + liquid metal for cooling on the 8700 or 8700k. I have no experience with liquid metal and from what I've read online liquid metal ages poorly compared to traditional thermal paste. Is this true and is there anything I can do to avoid it? Also, is it worth it to delid+liquid metal cool the cpu in a gaming laptop or should I just use it as is. Budget is not a concern here, i'm interested in best performance and longevity of the cpu.

an i7-8700K is too hot without delidding and repaste! what model? what reseller?

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

an i7-8700K is too hot without delidding and repaste! what model? what reseller?

that doesn't matter i'm more interested in the effect that liquid metal would have inside a laptop. Is the gain on performance worth it? Is the liquid metal going to cause any damage down the road? 

12 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

that doesn't matter i'm more interested in the effect that liquid metal would have inside a laptop. Is the gain on performance worth it? Is the liquid metal going to cause any damage down the road? 

a K cpu has 95W of TDP so delid and repaste are useful for having good temperatures

If you are plannig for making some OC than LM is needed

a good reseller is importan too IMO

LM is a really good thermal material with an high thermal conductivity. if a reseller makes the delid and he uses LM onto the DIE and then he reapplies clue between DIE and IHS, there are no possibilities of damages

s-l1000.jpg

If you are talking about using LM between IHS and heatsink, that could cause some problem if LM spills over the motherboard.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, sicily428 said:

a K cpu has 95W of TDP so delid and repaste are useful for having good temperatures

a good reseller is importan too IMO

LM is a really good thermal material with an high thermal conductivity. if a reseller makes the delid and he uses LM onto the DIE and then he reapplies clue between DIE and IHS, there are no possibilities of damages

s-l1000.jpg

If you are talking about using LM between IHS and heatsink, that could cause some problem if LM spills over the motherboard.

thank you for that, but the cpu in a laptop is usually delided. I think I'm going to avoid the liquid metal because of the hassle involved with re-pasting it later on. I plan to put my laptop to some heavy use cases so I'll use the 8700 with 65w TDP. I don't think the minor overclock on the 8700k is worth the extra temperatures. What do you think?

10 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

thank you for that, but the cpu in a laptop is usually delided. I think I'm going to avoid the liquid metal because of the hassle involved with re-pasting it later on. I plan to put my laptop to some heavy use cases so I'll use the 8700 with 65w TDP. I don't think the minor overclock on the 8700k is worth the extra temperatures. What do you think?

when you consider i7-8700 and i7-8700K, they are not delidded cpus because they are desktop cpus. they are used by clevo n950tp6, p750tm, p775tm, p870tm

hpit-435_hpit_435_01_800x800.jpg

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Pachuca said:

where did u find a gaming laptop with i7 8700? 

2 hours ago, charbel1011 said:

where did u find a gaming laptop with i7 8700? 

there are a few out there, sager.com and avadirect.com were the site's I saw. 

3 hours ago, sicily428 said:

when you consider i7-8700 and i7-8700K, they are not delidded cpus because they are desktop cpus. they are used by clevo n950tp6, p750tm, p775tm, p870tm

hpit-435_hpit_435_01_800x800.jpg

I see, but I think it should be ok with 8700 in there for thermals.