CPU upgrade?

Hello, I have a lower end PC and I play a lot of Rainbow six siege. and when I play I notice that I max out at 60 fps and when I check task manager I see that my Pentium G4560 is at 99% and my MSI gaming x 1050ti is only at 70-80%. I want to upgrade my cpu so ill get rid of the bottle neck because I want to start playing games like subnautica and battlefield and I don't want to have low frame rates at high settings. I was looking at the i3-8100 or should I go for a lower end i5? Help would be highly appreciated .

Check the build out here: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/7zhypg

(yes I know the PSU will need to be upgraded as well) 

go for i5 over i3 if money allows, other than that look up
<game> <cpu> <gpu>
to get a roughy idea on what performance will be like

i3-8100 isn't a bad choice, although that will require a new mainboard as well. If you can find a 7700/7700K that would be a good option.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

i3-8100 isn't a bad choice, although that will require a new mainboard as well. If you can find a 7700/7700K that would be a good option.

I'd strongly recommend a 6700k over a 7700k.  You can find them for $90 cheaper on eBay, and there's a 5-10% performance difference.  The highest end CPU of a socket tends to stay near retail, while others drop.  It's damn near impossible to find a reasonably priced 4790k.  I ended up buying mine new a couple years ago because it was a $15 difference.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

23 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Well I can get a z370 motherboard with the i3-8100 for $190 and it will be faster then a i5-7400. I can probably sell my G4560 and b250 for $100

23 hours ago, star_weaver said:

go for i5 over i3 if money allows, other than that look up
<game> <cpu> <gpu>
to get a roughy idea on what performance will be like

the i3-8100 is faster then the i5-7400 (which would be the i5 I would get) and I can get the motherboard with the i3 for $10 more.