GTX 1080ti Poor Performance

Hello, recently I bought a Asus Strix GTX 1080ti to replace my GTX 1060 3gb. I installed it and installed all the new drivers for it and jumped into a game and was actually getting lower FPS then with my 1060. I have a Core i5 7600 and have read that a Core i5 6600 wouldn't bottleneck a 1080ti so I figured I would be fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times with no luck. When I play games like PUBG I get about 50-75 FPS on the lowest settings. IN fact all games I play now I'm getting no more then 110 FPS. I'm playing on a 1080p 144Hz monitor. I have read a couple of people say that my monitor could be a bottleneck; however, I have read just as many people say that is not the case. 

CPU bottleneck and poor optimization in PUBG are what you are looking at

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

Where did you get the 1080 from? I've heard about people buying lower end cards and getting 5-7 generation old cards that had been reflashed to show the card they report to be. Try running a benchmark. 

You could run the Passmark Performance Test, it will compare your GPU results vs other 1080ti's (if it is a 1080ti at all).

I think that's one of the better benchmarks to test if it's a real 1080ti.

For a smaller/shorter benchmark you could try "Userbenchmark".

Also a benchmarks that compares your gpu to other gpu's.

Think those tests will get you the fastest results!

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

3 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

PUBG is not optimised good.

He's wondering if his graphics card really is a 1080ti. So the optimization of PUBG doesn't matter...

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

1 minute ago, partymarty said:

He's wondering if his graphics card really is a 1080ti. So the optimization of PUBG doesn't matter...

No it is a GTX660 probably

1 hour ago, WarpedRainbow98 said:

Hello, recently I bought a Asus Strix GTX 1080ti to replace my GTX 1060 3gb. I installed it and installed all the new drivers for it and jumped into a game and was actually getting lower FPS then with my 1060. I have a Core i5 7600 and have read that a Core i5 6600 wouldn't bottleneck a 1080ti so I figured I would be fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times with no luck. When I play games like PUBG I get about 50-75 FPS on the lowest settings. IN fact all games I play now I'm getting no more then 110 FPS. I'm playing on a 1080p 144Hz monitor. I have read a couple of people say that my monitor could be a bottleneck; however, I have read just as many people say that is not the case. 

Show us GPUZ window and run a benchmark

As racer243l said, and I agree, you got CPU bottleneck at 1080p, especially with a 1080 Ti. Also if I'm not mistaken PUBG likes cores and speedy ones and on top of that it's not fully optimised.

Bottom line, at 1080p, your graphics card is more powerful than your CPU. Which translates into 100% load on CPU and lower than 100% load on the GPU, and that equals CPU bottleneck.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

12 minutes ago, r3loAded said:

As racer243l said, and I agree, you got CPU bottleneck at 1080p, especially with a 1080 Ti. Also if I'm not mistaken PUBG likes cores and speedy ones and on top of that it's not fully optimised.

Bottom line, at 1080p, your graphics card is more powerful than your CPU. Which translates into 100% load on CPU and lower than 100% load on the GPU, and that equals CPU bottleneck.

True. But that does not explain why his FPS is lower now. He added a stronger GPU... So his FPS, if they are CPU bound, should still be the same. 

Switching a 1060 for a 1080ti can not result in lower FPS.

+ I highly doubt if the i5-7600 is such a heavy bottleneck for a 1080ti. Maybe in PUBG it is, but overall I think it's not a "cpu bottleneck". 

1 minute ago, partymarty said:

True. But that does not explain why his FPS is lower now. He added a stronger GPU... So his FPS, if they are CPU bound, should still be the same. 

That's true as well. He shouldn't get lower FPS. Maybe he should try a DDU (he didn't mentioned about it, he only said that he simply uninstalled old ones and installed new ones)

Also, @WarpedRainbow98 what PSU you have in your PC?

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

1 minute ago, r3loAded said:

That's true as well. He shouldn't get lower FPS. Maybe he should try a DDU (he didn't mentioned about it, he only said that he simply uninstalled old ones and installed new ones)

DDU is always a good thing to do :) 

Even a core i5 would bottleneck a 1070. So no idea where you getting those info from.

Passmark is unreliable test, use Unigene benches to test.

PUBG is unoptimized so having lower frame rates could be that issue, or it is being heavy bottlnecked. Check for CPU and GPU usage in game.

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

I'm having the same FPS using FX 6300 + 1060 3gb. No way his i5 bottlenecks harder than my AMD. I actually play with ultra textures and AA because the gfx card can take it without FPS impact. Yes, it's poorly optimized but one should also notice that his FPS should not be on same level as mine with much better CPU.

On 2/15/2018 at 2:44 AM, r3loAded said:

I put a Corsair 750 watt psu in it. I had a 500 watt before so I thought that may have been the issue. When I swapped it out there was no change...

On 2/15/2018 at 2:41 AM, partymarty said:

+ I highly doubt if the i5-7600 is such a heavy bottleneck for a 1080ti. Maybe in PUBG it is, but overall I think it's not a "cpu bottleneck". 

Yeah that's what is confusing to me, why is a weaker card doing better that one of the strongest cards out there. With the 1060 I was getting well over 100 FPS in Siege and over 90 in PUBG, both were consistent. When I went to the 1080ti I can't get over 80 FPS in Siege and I went down to about 50 in PUBG...

On 2/15/2018 at 1:17 AM, kerradeph said:

Where did you get the 1080 from? I've heard about people buying lower end cards and getting 5-7 generation old cards that had been reflashed to show the card they report to be. Try running a benchmark. 

I bought it from Amazon. It's and Asus Strix. I ran the Superposition benchmark on 1080p at medium settings and it scored about 14,000. Then we ran the same test on my buddy's pc with an 8600K and GTX 1080 and it scored about 15,500.

Benchmark it. Check temps, check voltage/power use. Check different benchmark/games. It may be your PSU, or something else entirely.

May be a driver specifically from ASUS that does not like PUBG?

LCmBzXdBAw-4.png

A quick search suggest most performance issues tend to be CPU bottleneck/thermal throttling. The most likely option is the PC has increased game fidelity (med to max) and thus seems "slower" on the new settings, but would be faster if reverted back to med etc.

I don’t think the only reason is PUBG being un-optimised like everyone is saying. 

I have a Core i5-6600 (non-k) and a GTX 1070 Ti, all lower specs than the OP’s, and I get 80fps on ultra settings.