Help with CPU choice (x299 vs. Coffee Lake)

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 hour ago, Sheiddy said:

I used the 5820k OC'd to 4.5 since I bought it 3 years ago (that's probably why it died too) and it worked like a charm. It was very rarely slow when using tons of demanding apps (like photoshop, after effects, vegas etc.) and streaming. I do intend to overclock just a bit, maybe 10%. Current cooler is NZXT Kraken X62. And for your last question, I am from Romania :).

Idgo 8700k then. Its cheaper, Best single threaded performance, and more than enough cpu power for editing 4k. You can get a bit faster with editing, but from your use it wouldn't seem to be worth it.

So my old PC decided to die a little too soon, can't figure out if it's the motherboard(R5E) or the CPU(i7-5820k) that's not working anymore and decided to no try and repair/replace what's broken and instead upgrade to a newer generation. I will keep everything I had except for the CPU and mottherboard. It had a 1080ti, 1000w Corsairs PSU, 16 GBs of RAM and some SSDs+HDDs.

What I need is an advice on the CPU-MoBo. Should I go with the intel x299 and 7th gen i7-7820x or i9-7900x or should I go with z370 and the i7-8700k.

I usually use the computer for gaming on a 1440p@160Hz monitor. I also stream sometime and do some video editing for YouTube(Sony Vegas/After Effects) and also use it for programming.

Budget: £1000.

I will post below a list of parts that I considered buying and their pricing where I am, maybe it helps.

• CPU:
    •  i9-7900x -  £679
    •  i7-8700x  - £327
    •  i7-7820x  -  £420
  • Motherboard:
    • Asus TUF X299 MK1 -  £225
    • Asus Strix Z370          -  £153
    • Asus Strix X299-XE    -  £274

Feel free to give any kind of advice and/or other parts.

Thank you.

EDIT: words

Edited by Sheiddy

How did you find the 5820k in your usage? The basic question is, is the 8700k enough, or do you need to throw more money at it? Or, if you got the extra money anyway, why not go higher up regardless? For gaming the 8700k will be more than fine, but I'm not familiar with the other tasks and how they might possibly benefit, if at all. Also, what CP cooling do you have? Do you intend to overclock? Especially for the higher end CPUs, they can get rather toasty.

If you don't mind, very roughly where are you? Just wondering on the off chance you're not far and if so there might be more possibilities.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 minutes ago, porina said:

How did you find the 5820k in your usage? The basic question is, is the 8700k enough, or do you need to throw more money at it? Or, if you got the extra money anyway, why not go higher up regardless? For gaming the 8700k will be more than fine, but I'm not familiar with the other tasks and how they might possibly benefit, if at all. Also, what CP cooling do you have? Do you intend to overclock? Especially for the higher end CPUs, they can get rather toasty.

If you don't mind, very roughly where are you? Just wondering on the off chance you're not far and if so there might be more possibilities.

I used the 5820k OC'd to 4.5 since I bought it 3 years ago (that's probably why it died too) and it worked like a charm. It was very rarely slow when using tons of demanding apps (like photoshop, after effects, vegas etc.) and streaming. I do intend to overclock just a bit, maybe 10%. Current cooler is NZXT Kraken X62. And for your last question, I am from Romania :).

1 hour ago, Sheiddy said:

Idgo 8700k then. Its cheaper, Best single threaded performance, and more than enough cpu power for editing 4k. You can get a bit faster with editing, but from your use it wouldn't seem to be worth it.