HD 7850 vs R9 270x vs R7 370

I have a tough time choosing between these three cards, all of them I can only find on the second hand market, and I heard they perform pretty similarly.

However, here's the pros and cons of each of them

• For the HD 7850, what is very enticing is the price, being the cheapest of all three of them, however it does not have a warranty, unlike the other two.
  • For the R7 370, I can buy it from a second hand store that offers a 6 month warranty on it, but it comes in as the second most expensive card.
  • Then there's the R7 270x, which I found to be the most expensive of the bunch (almost as much as a new RX 560), but it still is in warranty until November 2020!!

Considering my choices, should I just get a new 460 / 560 since I don't risk anything? Or should I go for a second hand one from the list above?

I know computer stuff is more durable than it seems, and that the risk of second hand is worth it but I'm still kinda reluctant and need further assurance second hand is ok.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Overall, the 370 would have better performance. The 7850 isn't bad by today's standards, you can still game on it. I wouldn't trust the 270x to do too much personally, but it could probably manage 720p Medium games at ~50fps.

If you can get a new 460/560, I would go for either of those over the 3 options you listed.

Or, if you can find a good deal on a used GTX 970 or 980, both of those would be excellent options.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I had the 7850, was a decent card. Pretty old now. I could play BF4 on medium at 1080p fine.

I would go with the R7 270

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Overall, the 370 would have better performance. The 7850 isn't bad by today's standards, you can still game on it. I wouldn't trust the 270x to do too much personally, but it could probably manage 720p Medium games at ~50fps.

If you can get a new 460/560, I would go for either of those over the 3 options you listed.

Or, if you can find a good deal on a used GTX 970 or 980, both of those would be excellent options.

All three models are literally the same.

Performance wise they are between the GTX 750 Ti and GTX 950.

7 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

All three models are literally the same.

Performance wise they are around the GTX 950.

Yeah but I'm worried the hd 7850 would die any second aftre I buy it, even with all the testing I would have done beforehand

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I did find a good deal for a 960, but I'm reluctant on getting nvidia because amd seems to age better, not saying that "nvidia is slowing your cards down", but yeah from what I've heard AMD matures and ages better

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Just now, xFluing said:

I did find a good deal for a 960, but I'm reluctant on getting nvidia because amd seems to age better, not saying that "nvidia is slowing your cards down", but yeah from what I've heard AMD matures and ages better

I wouldn't go that far, my 780 runs everything I throw at it pretty well. From what I've seen, Nvidia cards tend to age pretty well, my overclocked 780 performs just about the same as my friend's 1060 3Gb.

A 960 would outperform all the card you listed(with the exception of maybe the 560), and if it's a good deal, I would definitely go for it. Still a capable card in this day and age.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't go that far, my 780 runs everything I throw at it pretty well. From what I've seen, Nvidia cards tend to age pretty well, my overclocked 780 performs just about the same as my friend's 1060 3Gb.

A 960 would outperform all the card you listed(with the exception of maybe the 560), and if it's a good deal, I would definitely go for it. Still a capable card in this day and age.

But again there's the issue with it being second hand, and if it breaks down I won't be able to afford another one any time soon and I'll have to switch back to the display adapter™ that is my r7 250 (which runs very well actually, but it's starting to show its age and 386 or something SP count)

1 minute ago, xFluing said:

But again there's the issue with it being second hand, and if it breaks down I won't be able to afford another one any time soon and I'll have to switch back to the display adapter™ that is my r7 250 (which runs very well actually, but it's starting to show its age and 386 or something SP count)

Ah that is a good reason. As long as you stay on top of maintenance, I wouldn't worry too much about your card dying if it was used. I got my GTX 780 secondhand from a friend that used it in his rig for years.

From what I can tell, GPUs tend to last the longest(or close to) before being replaced in a gaming rig. I don't expect to need an upgrade from my 780 for another year or two since I don't play that many demanding games and am willing to turn down settings for a playable experience(one of the habits that stuck from when I played on an i3-330M+iGPU). So there's that aspect.

I do have another GPU I can use just as a display adapter(it's a GTS 250) in the event that my 780 fails, but I've been making a real effort to keep up on maintenance with all my systems so I don't expect it to happen. If you would feel more at ease getting a newer GPU, I wouldn't discourage you(I try to get as much new as I can).

The R7 370 is an overclocked 7850. The R7 270X is an overclocked 7870.

The 270X will perform best, roughly on par with a GTX 950.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Ah that is a good reason. As long as you stay on top of maintenance, I wouldn't worry too much about your card dying if it was used. I got my GTX 780 secondhand from a friend that used it in his rig for years.

From what I can tell, GPUs tend to last the longest(or close to) before being replaced in a gaming rig. I don't expect to need an upgrade from my 780 for another year or two since I don't play that many demanding games and am willing to turn down settings for a playable experience(one of the habits that stuck from when I played on an i3-330M+iGPU). So there's that aspect.

I do have another GPU I can use just as a display adapter(it's a GTS 250) in the event that my 780 fails, but I've been making a real effort to keep up on maintenance with all my systems so I don't expect it to happen. If you would feel more at ease getting a newer GPU, I wouldn't discourage you(I try to get as much new as I can).

I can do maintenance well, I guess I'll just ask the guy how he's treated his gpu, and if all's good and there's no artifacts then I'll definitely go for it.

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The R7 370 is an overclocked 7850. The R7 270X is an overclocked 7870.

The 270X will perform best, roughly on par with a GTX 950.

Right but in this situation it's the most expensive and I'm not sure the difference will be enough to justify the jump in price.

Edit: then again, I do get warranty til 2020 with it so it might be worth it actually