Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit System builder

Building my first computer in over 20 years with my oldest. I ordered Windows Pro 64 bit, but I guess i ordered a kit for System builders. Once I break seal, I cannot return. 

Has as anyone used this? Do I still need to purchase liscenses? Wondering if I should return. I bought on Amazon. 

Any insight?

Is there fine print some where that it can or can't be used by PC enthusiasts? If there's nothing saying it can't be used for x purpose it will work like any other version. 

Other than I am responsible for end user support. It stats once I break seal that I agree to the Microsoft OEM Builder Liscense agreement. Details on www.microsoft.com/oem/opk 

Of course it redirects you and I am just confused. Just an old newbie wondering what I ordered. 

it sounds like its an OEM license, like poster above also said.

I just snipped this from another website that explains it pretty clear:

• Retail: The retail version of Windows is the full version and the standard “consumer” version. Anytime you walk into an electronics store and see the boxed sets of Windows, you’re looking at the retail version. It’s designed for people who want to upgrade their computer or buy a new license. The license can be installed on any computer, and it comes with full support from Microsoft.
  • OEM: The OEM version of Windows is a system builder and primarily used by large computer manufacturers as well as local computer shops. Computer enthusiasts can use them on their workstation PCs, though Microsoft has gone back and forth as to whether or not this is allowed. The OEM version is tied to a single PC forever, and it doesn’t come with support from Microsoft.

In my experience there is support from MS also on OEM licenses, at least if you chat with them.

The only issue is that if you ever want to swap out motherboard then you will need a new license, as it looks like it ties in with that component - I have been swapping CPUs, RAM, graphics and more but when I swap MB I would get into trouble and can no more re-activate.

My Gaming PC: 27833

I still have a few days for some components. I will do some thinking on this. It is a Ryzen 5 1600 based build and in past swore only by Intel. But hey my last build was a Pentium II build. Wish pcpartpicker was available then. 

1 minute ago, mvanheck77 said:

I still have a few days for some components. I will do some thinking on this. It is a Ryzen 5 1600 based build and in past swore only by Intel. But hey my last build was a Pentium II build. Wish pcpartpicker was available then. 

well if you have not locked in what route you are going, red pill or blue pill, if i was buying today i would take a real hard look at team red as their upgrade path at the moment look pretty interesting. but like i said, be sure what motherboard you will go with in the end if its an OEM version as you could else end up loosing the right to activate if you swap out down the line

13 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

• Retail: The retail version of Windows is the full version and the standard “consumer” version. Anytime you walk into an electronics store and see the boxed sets of Windows, you’re looking at the retail version. It’s designed for people who want to upgrade their computer or buy a new license. The license can be installed on any computer, and it comes with full support from Microsoft.
  • OEM: The OEM version of Windows is a system builder and primarily used by large computer manufacturers as well as local computer shops. Computer enthusiasts can use them on their workstation PCs, though Microsoft has gone back and forth as to whether or not this is allowed. The OEM version is tied to a single PC forever, and it doesn’t come with support from Microsoft.

So it's a little more complicated than that

• Retail licenses like this one are available to anyone to purchase - there is no requirement set by Microsoft for their purchase. However, you need to retain the COA (certificate of authenticity) which is that little holographic sticker with the product key on it. This is essentially your proof of purchase.
  • OEI / OEM keys are designed for system builders / system integrator. They're cheaper because they come with less support (essentially no level 1/2 support) from Microsoft. They require the purchase of certain hardware alongside them however rarely is this rule followed. Generally these keys are bound to the BIOS of the machine when shipped from the manufacturer while they used to be attached as a little sticker. Some smaller system builders however don't have this tech so they still put the sticker on.
  • The functionality of an OEI vs Retail key however is the same for day to day use.

I won't get into EA's with MAK's and then Microsoft 365 subscriptions :P

3 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

So it's a little more complicated than that

• Retail licenses like this one are available to anyone to purchase - there is no requirement set by Microsoft for their purchase. However, you need to retain the COA (certificate of authenticity) which is that little holographic sticker with the product key on it. This is essentially your proof of purchase.
  • OEI / OEM keys are designed for system builders / system integrator. They're cheaper because they come with less support (essentially no level 1/2 support) from Microsoft. They require the purchase of certain hardware alongside them however rarely is this rule followed. Generally these keys are bound to the BIOS of the machine when shipped from the manufacturer while they used to be attached as a little sticker. Some smaller system builders however don't have this tech so they still put the sticker on.
  • The functionality of an OEI vs Retail key however is the same for day to day use.

I won't get into EA's with MAK's and then Microsoft 365 subscriptions :P

you are totally right. i only snipped the easier version of the story :)

Thanks again all for the info. Going to be an interesting build. My 8 year old will be documenting for his YouTube channel and my 15 year old first experience at building the PC.