High Temps GTX 970

Ilumic

I recently purchased a second gtx 970 , my first card it fine and runs great, overclocks perfect and temps are spot on , 66 degrees under load and 35 at idle , however I bought a second gtx 970 to sli but the card is terrible it overclocks really badly and the temps are 10 degrees higher than my other card.

Also my 4 displays are connected to my first gtx 970 not my new one, so it cant be that causing the heat issues.

Things ive tried:

New thermal paste on both cards

added a fan to push air in the gap of the sli

removed the overclock

increased the fan speed

all drivers are up to date

Thanks 

CPU 5900x| GPU 3080ti FE| MOBO MSI MPG CARBON MAX| RAM 32GB VENGENCE PRO 3200Mhz| STORAGE Samsung 980 Pro 1TB,2X WDSN750,4TB Seagate Barracuda| COOLING 1x Corsair 360mm XR7 54mm Radiator,1x EK-CoolStream PE 360mm Radiator| GPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XG7 RGB| CPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XC5 RGB| Fittings: EK-Torque STC & Corsair Hydro X Series XF| Pump/Res: EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5| Tubing: Corsair Hydro X Series XT Softline| Liquid: Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Clear| Fans: 10x Corsair SP120 RGB

Just now, Morgan Everett said:

Is the second 970 the exact same model as the first?

yeah they are both EVGA ACX 2.0 SC 

CPU 5900x| GPU 3080ti FE| MOBO MSI MPG CARBON MAX| RAM 32GB VENGENCE PRO 3200Mhz| STORAGE Samsung 980 Pro 1TB,2X WDSN750,4TB Seagate Barracuda| COOLING 1x Corsair 360mm XR7 54mm Radiator,1x EK-CoolStream PE 360mm Radiator| GPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XG7 RGB| CPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XC5 RGB| Fittings: EK-Torque STC & Corsair Hydro X Series XF| Pump/Res: EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5| Tubing: Corsair Hydro X Series XT Softline| Liquid: Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Clear| Fans: 10x Corsair SP120 RGB

2nd card in sli pretty much always runs hotter. Also 76C is not bad for a GPU

Just now, frozeNNN said:

2nd card in sli pretty much always runs hotter. Also 76C is not bad for a GPU

I always thought that the top card would be hotter because heat rises, the temps aint bad its just the difference is so much between the 2 cards 

34 minutes ago, Lewiscool45 said:

I always thought that the top card would be hotter because heat rises, the temps aint bad its just the difference is so much between the 2 cards 

Nah it depends on the airflow and case size but pretty much in most cases 2nd gpu is hotter. You can try and switch them and see if the current top one will run hotter on 2nd slot and vice versa 

17 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Nah it depends on the airflow and case size but pretty much in most cases 2nd gpu is hotter. You can try and switch them and see if the current top one will run hotter on 2nd slot and vice versa 

ill give that a go cheers

23 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

I tried this and it solved the problem both gpus are the same temp at idle and at full load, thanks a lot :D