Gamig PC help

hamza.m

recently i have been on the market for a gaming PC and i have been learning about all the hardware components and find what is best for me. i planned on buying a ryzen 3 from amazon when i saw a local computer shop closing down and i got a great deal on a ryzen 5 1600x (it was around £110) .  with that type of CPU i was wondering how much ram and what GPU i need for my build ( and i want it to be future compatible so i can add on  ) . i am planing to play overwatch and pubg at above 60 fps. i have heard that ram and GPU prices are at an all time high so i was wondering if i should wait and i would preferably want a warranty on the hardware .  

What's your budget for the RAM and GPU combined? Just that, nothing else.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

TBH if I were you I would wait until the prices for the RAM and GPU lower as they are inflated currently.

My Main PC

CPUIntel Core i5 6600K CPU Cooler - Corsair H80i v2 Motherboard - ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 GAMING ITX/AC RAM - 1x HyperX FURY 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 GPU - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Founders Edition  Storage - 1x HyperX FURY 120GB SSD, 1x WD Blue 1TB 2.5" HDD, 1x WD Black 330GB 2.5" HDD Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 650W G3 Case - Silverstone SUGO SG13B

For overwatch you don't need that much power... PUBG on the other hand needs a lot of power because the game is so badly optimized.

If you want to play at 60 fps 1080p. You will need 16gb ram! Last week I've had to upgrade my nephew his game pc to run PUBG decent, he wasn't able to play PUBG with a steady fps because of his 8gb ram.

For GPU:

His 970 was doing fine in PUBG, so everything like that or faster should be fine.

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

17 minutes ago, nickyteddy said:

TBH if I were you I would wait until the prices for the RAM and GPU lower as they are inflated currently.

they won't, this is 2018 the only thing that is going to lower is my iq after exams.

my budget for ram and GPU is around £350 but i would not mind  waiting for the price to drop but my main Priority is to get something that works well with my CPU so there is no bottle necking and i can improve down the line.

as i am new to the gaming pc world i am confused about overclocking and what it dose , how to do it and if i should do it.

dose it void the warranty?

Just now, hamza.m said:

my budget for ram and GPU is around £350 but i would not mind  waiting for the price to drop but my main Priority is to get something that works well with my CPU so there is no bottle necking and i can improve down the line.

as i am new to the gaming pc world i am confused about overclocking and what it dose , how to do it and if i should do it.

dose it void the warranty?

Seeing as amds own overclocking tool says using it voids the warrant I would assume yes

15 minutes ago, hamza.m said:

my budget for ram and GPU is around £350

I would suggest to go for used ram. Usually ram doesn't fail and used one, if bought from eBay or from somebody where you can test them would be a little bit of saving to put towards a GPU. GPU, which I would recommend buying it brand new if you are that into warranty. I personally bought £5000 worth of GPUs last year, even last night I bought a GTX 980 for £185, and I had a single fail on a shitty GTX 970 Armor 2X (one of the worst models from MSI). But you do how you feel and want ;).

18 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

my main Priority is to get something that works well with my CPU so there is no bottle necking and i can improve down the line.

First one that would come in my mind would be a GTX 1060 6GB. Decent in price (when the prices will get back to normal - if they will), decent in performance at 1080p and a good start to upgrade from when you feel the need. Otherwise for that CPU you can go for a GTX 1070 or a GTX 1080 (but that's over your budget).

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

1 hour ago, partymarty said:

For overwatch you don't need that much power... PUBG on the other hand needs a lot of power because the game is so badly optimized.

If you want to play at 60 fps 1080p. You will need 16gb ram! Last week I've had to upgrade my nephew his game pc to run PUBG decent, he wasn't able to play PUBG with a steady fps because of his 8gb ram.

For GPU:

His 970 was doing fine in PUBG, so everything like that or faster should be fine.

me and all 5 of my friends play PUBG with 8gb of ram and never have trouble maintaining 80+FPS  ( My HDD is pulled out of a 2011 laptop so it did load the world a little slow at first but i just installed it onto my SSD) everyone else has it on a 1TB WD Blue and it runs good. 

If your trying to use chrome with multiple tabs and or any other high  Ram  consuming program while playing PUBG then yeah more is better. but Just playing pubg  Discord Steam and Chrome with 1-3 Tabs Youll be fine.  ( Linus also just did a video on this) 

Ram being something that is so easily upgradable and basically no discount buying 16 over 8 i dont see anything wrong with trying 8gb first if your budget is tight and or Need that money to be able to afford a GPU now Days.

1050TI will do 80ish FPS at Medium 1080p  anything above that for PUBG is pretty good. 

19 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

me and all 5 of my friends play PUBG with 8gb of ram and never have trouble maintaining 80+FPS  ( My HDD is pulled out of a 2011 laptop so it did load the world a little slow at first but i just installed it onto my SSD) everyone else has it on a 1TB WD Blue and it runs good. 

If your trying to use chrome with multiple tabs and or any other high  Ram  consuming program while playing PUBG then yeah more is better. but Just playing pubg  Discord Steam and Chrome with 1-3 Tabs Youll be fine.  ( Linus also just did a video on this) 

Ram being something that is so easily upgradable and basically no discount buying 16 over 8 i dont see anything wrong with trying 8gb first if your budget is tight and or Need that money to be able to afford a GPU now Days.

1050TI will do 80ish FPS at Medium 1080p  anything above that for PUBG is pretty good. 

My nephew had insane fps drops, from 150 to like 3. His game froze a lot, especially in gun fights. He will probably have more ram things in the background than just gaming + discord + chrome. Since the upgrade to 16gb, all of his problems are gone.

When googling about ram usage in PUBG, a lot of sites pop-up saying that that game really needs more than 8gb. The plane phase and the phase were there are more than 70 people alive often takes over 8-10gb ram.

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

39 minutes ago, partymarty said:

My nephew had insane fps drops, from 150 to like 3. His game froze a lot, especially in gun fights. He will probably have more ram things in the background than just gaming + discord + chrome. Since the upgrade to 16gb, all of his problems are gone.

When googling about ram usage in PUBG, a lot of sites pop-up saying that that game really needs more than 8gb. The plane phase and the phase were there are more than 70 people alive often takes over 8-10gb ram.

There was a Game Breaking update about 2 weeks ago that made the game Run Garbage ( Cause why test a update...)  but they did Pull the update and Backdate everyone though. 

Going 150FPS to 3fps Sounds like Something else was going on in the PC Network problems Pc problems way too much running  ect. 8gb of ram wont cause 3FPS in pubg. But i agree 16GB is ideal its just not required and shouldnt Cause major issues at all. Like i said i did encouter a problem with a crap HDD running the game in the begging and More Ram would of helped that But i had the SSD already so i just moved it over. many people play this with an Okay HDD and 8gb of ram without 3fps though.  

Game is also very CPU heavy in Spawn or on plane the FPS a lot of times gets bottle necked to the CPU aswell.  they Also have shit Servers that produced Lag spikes in the first 6 Minutes. 

3 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

There was a Game Breaking update about 2 weeks ago that made the game Run Garbage ( Cause why test a update...)  but they did Pull the update and Backdate everyone though. 

Going 150FPS to 3fps Sounds like Something else was going on in the PC Network problems Pc problems way too much running  ect. 8gb of ram wont cause 3FPS in pubg. But i agree 16GB is ideal its just not required and shouldnt Cause major issues at all. Like i said i did encouter a problem with a crap HDD running the game in the begging and More Ram would of helped that But i had the SSD already so i just moved it over. many people play this with an Okay HDD and 8gb of ram without 3fps though.  

Game is also very CPU heavy in Spawn or on plane the FPS a lot of times gets bottle necked to the CPU aswell.  they Also have shit Servers that produced Lag spikes in the first 6 Minutes. 

I've ran tests on everything. It wasn't his 7700k. It wasn't his 970. It wasn't his Samsung 850 PRO 500gb where pubg was installed. Only his ram was filling like crazy... As soon as his ram reached around 95%. The frames were dropping like hell and the game started to freeze. Often when he jumped out of the plane, his pc locked until he was landed. 

1 hour ago, partymarty said:

I've ran tests on everything. It wasn't his 7700k. It wasn't his 970. It wasn't his Samsung 850 PRO 500gb where pubg was installed. Only his ram was filling like crazy... As soon as his ram reached around 95%. The frames were dropping like hell and the game started to freeze. Often when he jumped out of the plane, his pc locked until he was landed. 

Yeah i Didnt think it was Hardware  much, Sounds software related somethings eating the ram up/  Memory leaking. Pubg Uses like 3-5 Gigs of ram. I typically hover in the low 4s. But i dont have anything besides Discord Steam and PUBG up ussualy have some ram left over but close to full 80%  6gb is where i typically sit while playing.

Either way like i said 16GB is preferred and can help especially with multitasking Just not to the degree of locking up 0FPS and 3FPS dips.  there is millions of people playing with 8GB just fine i dont know a single person personally since everyone has $1000- builds that plays with 16Ggbs and they all run fine.   i even have a friend with a FX 8350 8gb of slow ddr3 ram 970 and he never dips below 60. Sits around 90 FPS after landing

5 hours ago, r3loAded said:

I would suggest to go for used ram. Usually ram doesn't fail and used one, if bought from eBay or from somebody where you can test them would be a little bit of saving to put towards a GPU. GPU, which I would recommend buying it brand new if you are that into warranty. I personally bought £5000 worth of GPUs last year, even last night I bought a GTX 980 for £185, and I had a single fail on a shitty GTX 970 Armor 2X (one of the worst models from MSI). But you do how you feel and want ;).

First one that would come in my mind would be a GTX 1060 6GB. Decent in price (when the prices will get back to normal - if they will), decent in performance at 1080p and a good start to upgrade from when you feel the need. Otherwise for that CPU you can go for a GTX 1070 or a GTX 1080 (but that's over your budget).

You quoted my quote of op lol