Upgrading my rig looking for help and suggestions

unitus77

So i'm looking to do some upgrading on my 19 month old rig bought and built from the lovely folks at ncix.

It is for gaming, HTPC, and everyday use. I use this comp for everything but gaming is the main focus.

It was my first rig i built and yes i made some mistakes and was not a techy at the time, nor am i now but have more knowledge.

Specs:

Case: NZXT Apollo ATX Tower Case

MOBO: Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition OC to 4.0

CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 CPU cooler

RAM: Corsair XMS3 Dominator GT 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 7-7-7-20 (I know crazy expensive ram i didn't need)

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5830

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM

SSD: Intel 335 Series 240GB

PSU: Corsair Professional HX850W Modular Silver (Yes i know but it was half off and i had big plans then never panned out)

So obvious things for me are i need to upgrade my GPU and add some more RAM. I am looking to spend >$250 on a new GPU. AMD prefered but not mandatory. Also pref factory OC.

I plan to game on a single 27 inch 1440p monitor with no desire for 3D of any kind or eyefinity setup in the foreseeable future.

Can i get a good enough GPU to do so with that price and this rig? Also i don't follow the gpu world closely

now a good time to buy or price drops coming in near future?

Now the RAM i am a bit confused about. I cannot afford more of the same ram nor do i think its even sold anymore. So what are the rules when crossing different types of ram?

8GB good enough or should i go for 14-16?

In final thoughts how long of a life do you think this thing has left in it? I know i will eventually need to get a new bigger case, new mobo and CPU. But say i slap a 7870 and 8 more gigs of ram in it could i be gaming well at 1440p for awhile?

Thanks for your time. Any ideas or insight much appreciated.

[h=1][/h]

a 7870 would be your best bet

or a 7950 if you can manage (3gb > 2gb @ high res gaming)

8GB is enough for gaming ;)

2500k,4.3GHZ · Hyper.212.+ · P67A-UD3-B3 · 2x4GB.1600Mhz · GTX 760 AMP!.2GB · M4.128GB · WDCBlue.1TB · WDCGreen.3TB · WDCGreen.1.5TB · XFX.XXX.650W · HAF.912.Advance
ND7000 · 17-50 f/2.8 · 50 f/1.8

8GB of RAM is more than enough for gaming. As for VRAM unless you are doing multiple monitors I don't think the 2GB vs 3GB question will come into play. 1440p is a little less than twice as heavy as 1080p. Just for perspective. I'd go with a 7950 if possible.

Go for one of the 7870 Tahiti's, overclock the snot out of it to get the same performance as a 7950 and just get some corsair vengeance 1600 8gb cl9 cheap stuff ;) that'll be pretty good for 2k, you can turn down AA because the pixel density will fix that

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Thanks for the help guys. Leaning towards finding a used 7950. Any other suggestions welcome.