Getting a Black Screen on New Ryzen 1700X Build.

Hilux22RE

As the title states, I am getting a Black screen as if i turn off my system at random times, but its not just that, My Keyboard and Mouse lights turn off as well.

All of the lights In my case including my AIO and fans stay on but everything else seems to "Shut down". I get no response from the Reset button and the system will not turn off even if i hold the Power button. I need to flip the switch on the PSU to get the system to turn off. Ive done a lot of searching here and a few other places but come up empty. 

System specs:

ROG Strix X370 Motherboard

Ryzen 7 1700X

Thermaltake Riing Floe AIO

16 Gigs of Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram  (Model #CMR16GX4M2D3200C16)

Sapphire RX580

250 Gig Samsung Pro 950 MVMe

1 TB HDD

EVGA 850w PSU

In a Corsair Air 540 Case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

when does this happen? while you are shutting down. Maybe a very slow shutdown...this is werid what the hell...never seen or heard.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

48 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

when does this happen? while you are shutting down. Maybe a very slow shutdown...this is werid what the hell...never seen or heard.

I Could be browsing the web or playing a game and then bam, my reflection on the screen... Pretty scary stuff...

17 minutes ago, Hilux22RE said:

I Could be browsing the web or playing a game and then bam, my reflection on the screen... Pretty scary stuff...

oooh check you video card. maybe it might be dieing. You monitor. check if your cable is loose. check everything related to the gpu.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

1 hour ago, DeezNoNos said:

oooh check you video card. maybe it might be dieing. You monitor. check if your cable is loose. check everything related to the gpu.

The GPU is brand new, and all of the connections are secure, but I will try another 580 I have just to be sure! It's a start! Thanks!

1 minute ago, Hilux22RE said:

The GPU is brand new, and all of the connections are secure, but I will try another 580 I have just to be sure! It's a start! Thanks!

If that gpu is brand new RMA if you find it faulty.

Build

Spoiler

So I tested with other GPUs and the problem is still there.. not too sure on what to do now. and searches still come up empty.

Update, the issue is still happening... but now I have the VGA LED illuminated on my motherboard but I still get an image on my monitor. Not too sure what to do.. 

Completely random in it's choosing or is it more common under some form of load?

Once the pc is switched on does it work fine for the entire period of use and only have this problem occur on 'shut down'?

12 hours ago, WhatTheHell said:

Completely random in it's choosing or is it more common under some form of load?

Once the pc is switched on does it work fine for the entire period of use and only have this problem occur on 'shut down'?

I could be googling something or even sitting idle and it will do this "shut down" thing. I looked into the Error logs and Error 41-Kernel Power came up. 

this is odd, Id look in the hardware direction for certain, but idk

But if I had to take one guess, Id say your motherboard is dieing, due to the oddity and the fact that you cannot shut it down with the power button, even if you hold it for 10 seconds.

Maybe a second guess would be PSU, maybe a low voltage situation, I know that can cause crazy non-sense to occur as well

Id say try a different psu first, if that doesnt fix it, then you might want to look into RMA on the motherboard.

I'm betting you got a defective part in here somewhere

• Try clearing the CMOS (something might be corrupt)
  • Ensure all power leads are secure
  • Remove all unnecessary external hardware 

Give that a shot, and also what Taco said.

Hi @Hilux22RE, I am having a very similar issue and found another post with a similar problem:

Our builds are very similar as you can see in the last post. The biggest similarities are Ryzen7 chips and ASUS MOBOs.

Try some of the stuff there and see if you can make any progress as I am myself struggling with this atm.

I assume there is no bios update for it?

That would be the only other thing I could think of, and technically its in the realm of hardware problem, which this really sounds like. 

Bad/incompatible firmware can have any and every affect, no telling what its going to do. 

From here I would look for news of a coming bios update, or for a released bios update. 

As well as googling for others having the same issue with the same board and series of cpu.

Still I feel like it has something to do with the motherboard, maybe firmware will fix it, otherwise I would believe something is broken.

I don't have a lot of time to go googling around tonight.

When I do, I will check, but I would jump the gun on this if I was you and try searching for others with the same issue. 

If you find anything, post it so we can read and get a better understanding of what they are experiencing and what others have suggested.

It will also help others with this problem in the future, such as guihashimoto

I see that @guihashimoto has referenced my issue here, which is in my opinion exactly the same as you are having.

And you are also in the possession of the same MB and CPU combination that I have.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this @Hilux22RE. :D

And I also have ruled out the MB because I already replaced it for a brand new piece and it has not fixed the issue.

Today I got my brand new piece of R 1700X via RMA so I hope that the CPU was the issue.

I believe that the chance of having two bad cpus from two different people, and both of them ending with the same results is pretty low.

like absurdly low, like getting hit by a meteor low lol,

unless some how amd had a bad batch and a few got out, and then two people that use the same forum got two of them and both posted about it (also crazy low chance of that) 

Anyhow the chance of two cpus going bad and causing the same problem is nuts, consider there are some 4.8 Billion transistors in this thing.

This is an issue with motherboard software/chipset I am betting, sounds like a compatibility issue with a specific cpu.

I would say contact the manufacture of the motherboard and give them the specifics.

Let them know you are working with others that have exactly the same issue, and you have already replaced the motherboard and cpu via RMA (and if you can find evidence of it, let them know others have done the same with no results).

Make sure they know the specific cpu you are running.

It might be a good idea to mention that gpu's and ram brands and models vary but cpu's are identical in other cases with the same results

This will let them know that the issue comes from one specific part, instead of them trying to put you through a wild goose chase of have you tried this or that, or it might be your gpu or ram or whatever (you want to skip the BS if you can)

Ask them if they are aware of this problem, and if there is a fix for it or a specific patch available.

They might be already aware and may have a fix already, whether or not they have published the fix is another issue entirely.

But I've run into special cases where manufactures provided sort of a  "beta" fix for me, that was not released yet, maybe you will get lucky.

Good chance they have heard of this issue already, and are working on it, or have a fix (released or unreleased) 

Either way let them know, see what they can do for you ( they may even offer a different model mobo to replace it, to resolve your issue but see what they say first before you try going in that direction)

Afterwards, share your results, I am sure other people will run into this issue and will thank you to no end if you manage to resolve it and have some information on how they can resolve it too.

Thanks for the replies.

I have all my drivers up to date, and have been having this issue for a few months, so apparently it does not depend on BIOS or some other driver version.

Browsing the Googlenet and Reddit, I found this recommendation to uninstall any monitoring software, especially ASUS AI Suite, AURA and GPUTweak. And so far it has been working for me. I will also let you know weekly if black screens occurred once again.

It is just so frustrating that I got matching ASUS MOBO and Grapchis Cards in hopes for maximum compatibility and yet, it seems to have had the very opposite effect. @ElSeniorTaco, it seems to me that maybe some lucky people with this MOBO and CPU combo will have this issue, and I found threads on other forums dating as far as the ryzen launch. Overall, just very disappointed with ASUS.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:34 PM, ElSeniorTaco said:

this is odd, Id look in the hardware direction for certain, but idk

But if I had to take one guess, Id say your motherboard is dieing, due to the oddity and the fact that you cannot shut it down with the power button, even if you hold it for 10 seconds.

Maybe a second guess would be PSU, maybe a low voltage situation, I know that can cause crazy non-sense to occur as well

Id say try a different psu first, if that doesnt fix it, then you might want to look into RMA on the motherboard.

I'm betting you got a defective part in here somewhere

I Will try a new PSU and report back. Ive been doing A bit of searching myself and come up clean..

On 2/15/2018 at 7:32 AM, WhatTheHell said:
  • Try clearing the CMOS (something might be corrupt)
  • Ensure all power leads are secure
  • Remove all unnecessary external hardware 

Give that a shot, and also what Taco said.

I Will also try clearing CMOS If new PSU Doesnt fix the issue..

Do you have pu tweak 2 installed, try unnistall, had same issues. Try another bios version or the newest if not already in

7 minutes ago, Noobie22 said:

Do you have pu tweak 2 installed, try unnistall, had same issues. Try another bios version or the newest if not already in

The only ASUS Software i have is Aura Sync. 

I think it migth be a software issues And I got black screen when trying to run time spy, always crashed. Also had ram issuesbut bios update fixed those, hard to say

1 minute ago, Noobie22 said:

I think it migth be a software issues And I got black screen when trying to run time spy, always crashed. Also had ram issuesbut bios update fixed those, hard to say

Im going to run a few Stress tests today, Also got a new PSU to test today. will keep updated. 

Small Update, 

Tried a different PSU: Same

Resetting CMOS: Same

Different Ram: Same

Just going to wait to hear back from ASUS or AMD to see if there is a Fix or Patch available...

Check Event viewer for cause. It could be a faulty driver (couple days ago we had a similar issue updating the Lan driver (Not from Asus website) solved the crashes)