Macbook Pro change of parts

PJH

I have a broken macboook, planning to fix it and replace with SSDs and upgrade ram to 16gb. Are there any problems with doing that? 

Which year  is it? If its any of the retina models you won't be able to upgrade it really.

Not enough informaion to answer. Which model and what is broken? Go to ifixit and look up your specific model. That'll tell you what you have to do in order to replace certain parts. Newer models have soldered memory so there's no safe way to upgrade other than replacing the whole board with cpu and gpu. Newer models use afaik M.2 drives so bear in mind and check what you actually need. 

Again: go to ifixit.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

15 minutes ago, PJH said:

I have a broken macboook, planning to fix it and replace with SSDs and upgrade ram to 16gb. Are there any problems with doing that? 

Go watch some videos from Louis Rossmann to get an idea of how useless that would be. You WILL have problems, it's a better idea to invest in a proper computer if you'd ask me.

6 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Newer models use afaik M.2 drives so bear in mind and check what you actually need. 

Again: go to ifixit.

Nope, in normal Apple fashion, they use a proprietary connector that looks very much like M.2, but is not. Basically everything about them is the same as M.2, but they use their own connector and the drives are significantly more expensive than standard M.2 drives. 

If it's a touch bar model from 2016-2017, the SSD is actually soldered to the board. I believe even the new non-touchbar Pro models use soldered storage too. 

The SSD from a 13" Pro Retina 2015. The prices are ridiculous. 128GB is about $250, 256GB is $450

DGvn3CFxmNFVUndA.huge

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Nope, in normal Apple fashion, they use a proprietary connector that looks very much like M.2, but is not. Basically everything about them is the same as M.2, but they use their own connector and the drives are significantly more expensive than standard M.2 drives. 

Well, I know why I'll never go for a Mac again. The last "good" Mac was the late 2012 model Macbook Pro. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

17 hours ago, bowrilla said:

Well, I know why I'll never go for a Mac again. The last "good" Mac was the late 2012 model Macbook Pro. 

Exactly, that thing lasted me 5 solid years with the only repair I had to perform was to replace the hard drive ribbon cable, switching to an MSI GT62vr and I never looked back

Still miss OSX from time to time

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2018 at 10:56 PM, Generallee said:

Go watch some videos from Louis Rossmann to get an idea of how useless that would be. You WILL have problems, it's a better idea to invest in a proper computer if you'd ask me.

i am already building one but need a laptop for work, editing more convenient so like ya planning to get an MSI laptop too but will take longer than the macbook upgrade due to cash

On 11/02/2018 at 10:49 PM, samcat116 said:

Which year  is it? If its any of the retina models you won't be able to upgrade it really.

10 minutes ago, PJH said:

Quite old. Why? They're all dual core only, and the early 2010 is still Core 2 (which is shit in 2018). I'd aim for at least a mid 2012 13" and nothing older. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Quite old. Why? They're all dual core only, and the early 2010 is still Core 2 (which is shit in 2018). I'd aim for at least a mid 2012 13" and nothing older. 

I mean just trying to work with what i have

3 minutes ago, PJH said:

I mean just trying to work with what i have

That's fine, but do you already know what's wrong with it? Investing more than $100-150 would be an enormous waste of money imo.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro