Thread ripper or alternative

Dark Star

I am running games on multiple vms and I am finding performance not so great due to the clockspeed on the dual e5-2670. I have tested on my 6700k and because of it higher clockspeed I find it runs them fine but of course it lacks cores to run as many vms as my dual e5-2670 can. So I am looking at the 1950x thread ripper and was wondering if anyone know of any issue the amd threadripper would have running on windows server 2016 with remotefx? Also Is they maybe another option I am missing for high core count and high frequency?

Threadripper 1950x would be the mot financially viable option, but there is a 18 core xeon/core i9 if selling your kidney is a option.

Lol I enjoy my kidneys. So they is no other option in that price range for that amount of core/ threads + frequency ? Also they is no known issue with running virtual machine on a amd setup ?

14 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Lol I enjoy my kidneys. So they is no other option in that price range for that amount of core/ threads + frequency ? Also they is no known issue with running virtual machine on a amd setup ?

There were some issues at the start, but right now it seems threadripper is the best option for VMs. Also use the arrow sign uner my post  to quote me, so i receive a notification that you have asked me something.

I remember there being PCIe pass through issues (as well as a few other VM issues) with AMD recently, might want to see if they're resolved

Yours faithfully

It would probably be a good option. I mean if you are using both of the e5's considering that both have 16 cores, but the thread ripper is new and it has support for ddr4 sram,and you can run 4 pcie m.2 ssd's in raid 0. And the thread ripper having more of everything, and the ability to not loose value just buy looking at it. I think it is great if you also want to video edit, stream videos,and mine BTC,and play i AAA title game. The threadripper is a viable choice 

35 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

There were some issues at the start, but right now it seems threadripper is the best option for VMs. Also use the arrow sign uner my post  to quote me, so i receive a notification that you have asked me something.

Thanks for the tip.

29 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I remember there being PCIe pass through issues (as well as a few other VM issues) with AMD recently, might want to see if they're resolved

Pcie pass through not really a concern for me as I am using remotefx.

20 minutes ago, Somekid5 said:

It would probably be a good option. I mean if you are using both of the e5's considering that both have 16 cores, but the thread ripper is new and it has support for ddr4 sram,and you can run 4 pcie m.2 ssd's in raid 0. And the thread ripper having more of everything, and the ability to not loose value just buy looking at it. I think it is great if you also want to video edit, stream videos,and mine BTC,and play i AAA title game. The threadripper is a viable choice 

Yea true I guess but is they a massive improvement going from ddr3 to ddr4 ram ?

Does anyone know if say going with 2x 2667 v2 would be a better option ? They work out a lot cheaper than the thread ripper and I would not have to replace my whole system. Is the thread ripper performance a lot better ?

Does anyone know why the e5 2667 v2 what newer and has a higher frequency is showing as having a worse single core and multicore performance against the e5 2690 on site like cpuboss ?

1 minute ago, Dark Star said:

Yea true I guess but is they a massive improvement going from ddr3 to ddr4 ram ?

Does anyone know if say going with 2x 2667 v2 would be a better option ? They work out a lot cheaper than the thread ripper and I would not have to replace my whole system. Is the thread ripper performance a lot better ?

Does anyone know why the e5 2667 v2 what newer and has a higher frequency is showing as having a worse single core and multicore performance on site like cpuboss ?

Yes Because AMD's CPU's rely on very fast memory

Plus it has a lot more threads and More pcie lanes and And i draws 40-50 less watts of power

and (if you can somehow do this) get up to i think 1.4 tb worth of ram which is awesome. 

11 minutes ago, Somekid5 said:

Plus it has a lot more threads and More pcie lanes and And i draws 40-50 less watts of power

It has the same amount of thread than dual 2667 v2.

13 minutes ago, Somekid5 said:

And 40 mb of cache 

So for virtual machine the extra 15 cache wold make a big difference ?

13 minutes ago, Somekid5 said:

and (if you can somehow do this) get up to i think 1.4 tb worth of ram which is awesome. 

Never going to need that much ram lol

So you are saying the difference between 2x 2667 v2 and the thread ripper is big ?

1 minute ago, Dark Star said:

So you are saying the difference between 2x 2667 v2 and the thread ripper is big ?

Overall Yes

5 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

So for virtual machine the extra 15 cache wold make a big difference

Probably from what i heard The CPU's cache has the job of helping the cpu to guess what the user is going to do, and i guess have to go to techquickie to find what it is but if you have more cache your cpu will have a better chance it will guess it right, and more quicker. 

2 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Thanks for the tip.

Pcie pass through not really a concern for me as I am using remotefx.

Does anyone know why the e5 2667 v2 what newer and has a higher frequency is showing as having a worse single core and multicore performance against the e5 2690 on site like cpuboss ?

The sites cpuboss and gpu boss are the most unreliable websites out there, i wouldnt trust them. If you can get the 2x xeon for very low price they still perform worse, but you just have to think which gets the best price to perf. DDR4 ram prices are through the roof, so maybe it would make more sense to get to used xoens, because then you could keep your old ram.

9 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Cheap 2x 2667v2 is your best option if you want to keep the price down, TR will be slightly faster for games but for everything else those Xeons should edge it out overall.

9 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Single thread performance of the 2667v2 is better than the 2690v1, slight architecture improvement and higher clocks so there is no way it's slower just not possible.