Upgrade to Pentium G4560+B250M-DS3H+8GB DDR4 worth it?

4 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah sorry let me clarify. the clock speeds of your i3 are severely limiting, the G4560 is much better in that aspect (if you could overclock it would be an easy fix). but it's absolutely not worth the 300$? or so you'll have to pay for upgrading the platform (what is it? 80$ CPU 80$ mobo 100$RAM right?) when finding a used CPU (trust me it's not that hard) will be much cheaper and give you the same or likely much more performance gains. even if you have to change your motherboard for that too (as long as you keep RAM)

Yeah it's pretty much that price. The thing is, used motherboards sell at pretty much the same as brand new, current gen ones, and used cpus are also way overpriced. i7 2600 is at around $200, i5 4460 is around $250, i7 3570 isn't even for sale and i5 4440 is at $200 for example, while all of them sell at around $100 on ebay.

CPU: Core i3 8100 @ 3,6GHz 

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B360M-DS3H

RAM: 8GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 2400mHz

Storage: 2TB WD 7200RPM HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

Case: Deepcool Dukase V3

PSU: Corsair CX450

Keyboard: Cougar Core

Mouse: Logitech G502

Headset: HyperX Cloud Stinger

2 hours ago, Askingcarpet said:

Yeah it's pretty much that price. The thing is, used motherboards sell at pretty much the same as brand new, current gen ones, and used cpus are also way overpriced. i7 2600 is at around $200, i5 4460 is around $250, i7 3570 isn't even for sale and i5 4440 is at $200 for example, while all of them sell at around $100 on ebay.

well honestly it makes sense kinda... before coffee lake they retained almost all their original value because intel changed so little.

you don't want to buy on ebay? you don't trust it? I've rarely had problems personnaly but i've only bought LGA775 chips there or a couple laptop CPUs all sub 50$ parts

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

2 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

well honestly it makes sense kinda... before coffee lake they retained almost all their original value because intel changed so little.

you don't want to buy on ebay? you don't trust it? I've rarely had problems personnaly but i've only bought LGA775 chips there or a couple laptop CPUs all sub 50$ parts

We don't even have ebay here. It's literally non-existent. I wish we did, because i would've bought some other used 1155 mobo and an i7 2600

2 hours ago, Biggerboot said:

What makes you say your motherboard is on the way out?

Last week it wouldn't boot up unless it had a single stick of ram, regardless of which stick or what slot it was in, which was fixed by startup recovery, then a couple of days later it refused to boot even with a single stick, which was fixed by booting into safe mode, which strangely boot up windows normally. It's running to this date but i don't think that'll last long

4 minutes ago, Askingcarpet said:

We don't even have ebay here. It's literally non-existent. I wish we did, because i would've bought some other used 1155 mobo and an i7 2600

Last week it wouldn't boot up unless it had a single stick of ram, regardless of which stick or what slot it was in, which was fixed by startup recovery, then a couple of days later it refused to boot even with a single stick, which was fixed by booting into safe mode, which strangely boot up windows normally. It's running to this date but i don't think that'll last long

Have you reformatted since then?  Checked the health of the HDD/RAM? 

In that situation I'd make absolutely sure it's the motherboard on the way out.  Not just to consider the idea of upgrading your rig/cpu, but just in case you decide to salvage other things from your build to the new one.

51 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Have you reformatted since then?  Checked the health of the HDD/RAM? 

In that situation I'd make absolutely sure it's the motherboard on the way out.  Not just to consider the idea of upgrading your rig/cpu, but just in case you decide to salvage other things from your build to the new one.

I'm gonna test out the ram just in case, but my hd is fine according to SMART and the system did boot up before with a single stick, regardless of which. Also, reformatting isn't really something i'll ever consider. I have over a terabyte of games and data which i definitely don't want to redownload with my 3mb/s internet connection.

1 hour ago, Askingcarpet said:

I'm gonna test out the ram just in case, but my hd is fine according to SMART and the system did boot up before with a single stick, regardless of which. Also, reformatting isn't really something i'll ever consider. I have over a terabyte of games and data which i definitely don't want to redownload with my 3mb/s internet connection.

That's why everybody tells you to partition and separate OS from your data. You could fresh install and lose nothing. Since this is windows failing to boot and not the bios it's more likely to be a windows issue not your mobo, unless i misunderstood you. Sticks of ram or not if it posts its unlikely to be the mobo

(edit) 

Also about eBay. Aliexpress is available everywhere. It's chinese ebay basically and they'll ship you internationally for next to nothing. You also won't get customs on it because it's always marked as "gift" or 5$ item. They have what you need /want 

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

24 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

That's why everybody tells you to partition and separate OS from your data. You could fresh install and lose nothing. Since this is windows failing to boot and not the bios it's more likely to be a windows issue not your mobo, unless i misunderstood you. Sticks of ram or not if it posts its unlikely to be the mobo

(edit) 

Also about eBay. Aliexpress is available everywhere. It's chinese ebay basically and they'll ship you internationally for next to nothing. You also won't get customs on it because it's always marked as "gift" or 5$ item. They have what you need /want 

Well, i'm not sure it's the OS since i get black screen after splash screen, but sometimes the splash screen is cropped literally and won't go past that, or sometimes my peripherals won't light or power up (the usb ports don't work) and other stuff. On top of that, it doesn't always POST. Sometimes it just goes black screen instantly with no post or splash screen, sometimes it shows splash screen but doesnt post and freezes, and other weird stuff.

I kinda disregarded bad ram as individually, either stick worked fine.

About aliexpress, i know and have used them, but as i said a couple of times my packages haven't arrived.

Also, regardless of what the package is marked as, the 4 package limit still applies, and their shipping still takes around 30-40 days.

2 hours ago, Askingcarpet said:

Well, i'm not sure it's the OS since i get black screen after splash screen, but sometimes the splash screen is cropped literally and won't go past that, or sometimes my peripherals won't light or power up (the usb ports don't work) and other stuff. On top of that, it doesn't always POST. Sometimes it just goes black screen instantly with no post or splash screen, sometimes it shows splash screen but doesnt post and freezes, and other weird stuff.

I kinda disregarded bad ram as individually, either stick worked fine.

About aliexpress, i know and have used them, but as i said a couple of times my packages haven't arrived.

Also, regardless of what the package is marked as, the 4 package limit still applies, and their shipping still takes around 30-40 days.

yeah there shipping is long but i've had my stuff eventually. those problems could also come from failing CPU_uncore but i'm not sure how likely that is compared to the motherboard

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 hour ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah there shipping is long but i've had my stuff eventually. those problems could also come from failing CPU_uncore but i'm not sure how likely that is compared to the motherboard

As well as it dying i also kinda want to do this. I know it's expensive but i feel it's time to modernize a bit. I'll gain an m.2 slot, usb 3.1, gigabit ethernet, better on board audio, better, more intuitive bios design (for some reason, i literally can't access my current board's bios, and i never could, despite trying everything), newer, faster ram, more sata 6gb/s ports, monitoring software, etc. 

Also, my country's stupid overpricing means i can easily sell my old wiiu for around $300 (i've seen used ones sell for way more) so i can probably get a gpu once cryptocurrencies finally die out for good