Anyone with Dual System firsthand experience?

Hi folks,

I'm in the early stages of planning a dual system build for an upcoming wedding. My plan is to utilize an existing dual system chassis - like the Enthoo Mini XL DS, for example - and to modify it if required to accommodate an integrated dual system custom loop. Wouldn't it be easier to run two loops? Yes, but the whole challenge of this build is an integrated loop.

In case you're wondering about the single loop DS concept:

Spoiler

I've done the basic proof-of-concept to prove that two systems can run on the same loop with the pump and fans powering on if either system is powered on and with the fan tachometeric output split to both systems. I know I can even put in some simple logic circuitry to allow the first system that powers to take pwm control and although I haven't actually tested this, I've got a simple circuit diagrammed out already.

The difficult part now comes in finding an appropriate chassis for a dual system build. I'm not adverse to modifying the chassis if required. I know that I'll need a decent amount of space as running two systems at good temps requires a hefty pump - or 2 - and as many radiators as can fit. Although DS chassis are starting to be a thing and there is some selection now, I was wondering if anyone here has built in a dual system chassis - or custom-built their own - and what caveats, tips, tricks and other issues of note you might be able to provide to a total DS noob.

A lot of this depends on how much you want to spend, if you have a large budget that is nice because the DS cases are pretty expensive usually. If you have a medium budget it might be more cost effective to do a "two gamers one cpu" type build using VMs

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

4 minutes ago, jefftheworld said:

-SNIP-

It depends on the look you want but you can easily use a single loop for both systems utilizing a single PSU, that way it would always run the loop regardless of which system was on. There are power splitters and even dual system PSU's now from Phanteks and Seasonic. 

https://www.thinkcomputers.org/phanteks-teams-up-with-seasonic-for-new-power-supplies-at-ces-2018/

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling- 

Edited by W-L

4 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

A lot of this depends on how much you want to spend, if you have a large budget that is nice because the DS cases are pretty expensive usually. If you have a medium budget it might be more cost effective to do a "two gamers one cpu" type build using VMs

I still haven't figured how to make two VMs look cool or be interesting as a project, so I'm going to stick with the original concept. I sling VMs at work all the time, so I think I'd rather do something more novel.

Obviously this type of build is not inexpensive, I'm more interested in what people have experienced in building inside these types of chassis.

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

It depends on the look you want but you can easily use a single loop for both systems utilizing a single PSU, that way it would always run the loop regardless of which system was on. There are power splitters and even dual system PSU's now from Phanteks and Seasonic. 

https://www.thinkcomputers.org/phanteks-teams-up-with-seasonic-for-new-power-supplies-at-ces-2018/

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling- 

I already know how to do the dual system integrated loop. I'm wondering more about what people have experienced in building in these types of cases and any unique challenges they found in a dual system build.

Edited by jefftheworld
Add reply to W-L

2 minutes ago, jefftheworld said:

I still haven't figured how to make two VMs look cool or be interesting as a project, so I'm going to stick with the original concept. I sling VMs at work all the time, so I think I'd rather do something more novel.
Obviously this type of build is not inexpensive, I'm more interested in what people have experienced in building inside these types of chassis.
I already know how to do the dual system integrated loop. I'm wondering more about what people have experienced in building in these types of cases and any unique challenges they found in a dual system build.

It wouldn't be really different from building in a regular case, the main thing is cable management and the necessary IO or front panel ports for both systems. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It wouldn't be really different from building in a regular case, the main thing is cable management and the necessary IO or front panel ports for both systems. 

Every chassis is different, though. They all have their own quirks of placement, fit, suitability for modification, etc. I'm looking for first-hand reports from people who have used these chassis. Just so I have some more info to go on when selecting one.

Are you trying to use a single water cooling system for multiple computers, or are you trying to build a water cooling system for a single computer that has multiple sockets?

1 minute ago, heimdali said:

Are you trying to use a single water cooling system for multiple computers, or are you trying to build a water cooling system for a single computer that has multiple sockets?

It'll be a single loop that cools two systems inside one chassis.

IIUC, I would say that a 19", 5 or 6U full-length case could, with some manufacturing, be an interesting starting point to make something that holds 2 computers and a water cooling system within one case.  You may want to check the Chenbro SR10769, for example, like here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811123131

Don´t let the images deceive you; they make it look like a tower case (as which it can be used), but it´s actually a gorgeous 5U 19" case.  You might be able to get a used one off ebay.  From there, it all depends on what you want to put into it.  To give you some perspective, the fan-holders you see on the pictures take 120mm fans.  You could even put two of them on top of each other --- but if you do that, you can as well use 4U cases.

Having that said, if you use 19" cases, there´s no need to put two computers into one because you can just stack them and use whatever you see fit.  You can even get water cooling for 1U cases.

But then, why use water cooling when you use 4U+ cases?