Desktop isn't getting gigabit speeds?

HunterAP
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

Gigabit in the name just means it's capable of that, not that it will operate at that speed all the time

Go to Network and Sharing center > Change Adapter Settings > Right click the adapter > Status

At this point it should say "Speed: 100Mbps"

Click Properties > Configure > Advanced > Find "Speed & Duplex" and set it to 1Gbps.

At this point if you lose connectivity then set it back to Auto

If you lose connectivity it means some cable along the path can only do 100Mbps.

If not then you're good :)

I got Verizon FIOS in my new home, but we only have one Ethernet wall port in my room which I share with my brother. I bought this TP-Link gigabit switch, which when tested only gives my brother's PC near-gigabit speeds, but my desktop only gets 100mbps up/down. I tried connecting my desktop directly into the wall port, and I still only get 100mbps up/down, so it leads me to believe that my motherboard's LAN connection is the issue.

I have the MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151, which according to Newegg and HWInfo, has the RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC. The word gigabit is IN THE NAME, yet HWInfo reports the maximum link speed as 100mbps.

Basically, am I limited to 100mbps up/down or am I missing something?

Gigabit in the name just means it's capable of that, not that it will operate at that speed all the time

Go to Network and Sharing center > Change Adapter Settings > Right click the adapter > Status

Click Properties > Configure > Advanced > Find "Speed & Duplex" and set it to 1Gbps.

If you lose connectivity it means some cable along the path can only do 100Mbps.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Wow, I can't believe it was that simple. I'm curious why it was set to "auto" but only got 100mbps, but forcing it to 1gbps works as expected. Thanks mate!

2 minutes ago, HunterAP said:

Wow, I can't believe it was that simple. I'm curious why it was set to "auto" but only got 100mbps, but forcing it to 1gbps works as expected. Thanks mate!

That is odd since usually if it only detects 100Mbps on Auto and it's manually set to gigabit then usually you'll lose connectivity. Keep an eye on it and feel free to quote or tag me if you lose connectivity. If so, double check the cable, something might be loose and it will kind of go in and out but if you use the same cable and your brother gets the same speed but no issues then maybe the motherboard port is going bad.

Glad it seems to be working now though, hopefully it was just a minor issue and it doesn't come back :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 3 years later...
On 2/4/2018 at 2:32 PM, Lurick said:

Years later, and I still cant believe the solution was that easy... I LOVE YOU!