R9 290X Overheating & Artifacting

AVLNCH
Go to solution Solved by EnergyEclipse,
4 hours ago, UponAvalanche said:

N.B. This post is on behalf of my friend, not my own issue.

Hi All,

Got a friend who has an R9 290X which lately has enjoyed overheating and artifacting to the point of BSOD / System shutdown. Certain games are okay, majority aren't. For example, just sat at the menu screen his GPU went from 50c to just over 70c and then artifacted and proceeded to shut down (he never played the game).

The following have already been done:

• Reinstalling drivers

• Using Driversweeper and nuking drivers + reinstalling again

• Changing PCI-E slot on motherboard

• Updating BIOS

No avail. My friend is ready to play football with his GPU however as he won't make an account to ask for help (too stubborn) i'm asking on his behalf before he forks out for a new GPU.

Any advice or support would be appreciated folks

Is it possible that he is willing to apply fresh thermal compound? Maybe you could remove just the cooler's shroud if its a blower style and figure out a way of mounting some more fans to it?

**EDIT - I'm pretty certainly that the issue may lay elsewhere as I missed the edit you did to add tempatures. I know that card can operate way above that tempature, as I'm pretty sure it became a meme for how hot they could run. Refer to @miagisan questions :D

Best of luck to you and your friend in resolving the issue!'

Hi All,

Got a friend who has an R9 290X which lately has enjoyed overheating and artifacting to the point of BSOD / System shutdown. Certain games are okay, majority aren't. For example, just sat at the menu screen his GPU went from 50c to just over 70c and then artifacted and proceeded to shut down (he never played the game).

• Reinstalling drivers

• Updating BIOS

No avail. My friend is ready to play football with his GPU however as he won't make an account to ask for help (too stubborn) i'm asking on his behalf before he forks out for a new GPU.

01000001 01110110 01100001 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01101000 01100101

4 hours ago, UponAvalanche said:

Hi All,

• Reinstalling drivers

• Updating BIOS

Is it possible that he is willing to apply fresh thermal compound? Maybe you could remove just the cooler's shroud if its a blower style and figure out a way of mounting some more fans to it?

**EDIT - I'm pretty certainly that the issue may lay elsewhere as I missed the edit you did to add tempatures. I know that card can operate way above that tempature, as I'm pretty sure it became a meme for how hot they could run. Refer to @miagisan questions :D

Best of luck to you and your friend in resolving the issue!'

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Just now, EnergyEclipse said:

That's the next step we've reached. I think at the moment if we can't solve it any other way he'll buy some thermal compound and do exactly that.

01000001 01110110 01100001 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01101000 01100101

There is no way a 290x would be overheating and artifacting at 70c.the card is designed to run up to 95c.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

What are the temperatures on the vram and vrm? 

What are his voltage settings? Did he undervolt or OC? 

Did he try rolling back the drivers and using DDU (I am not familiar with drivesweeper but I know DDU works great) ? 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man