Liquid cooling components?

So I'm finally building a new desktop and opted for a threadripper build that I'd like to liquid cool. The issue is that even though I've built several computers, I've never tried liquid cooling them so I'm basically a total noob... So I basically need help finding the best/most affordable components that I could then use in a custom loop.

I'm aware that there's an ultimate water cooling guide in this section of the forum but I don't have a ton of free time to read through all of it so a TLDR here's how you get started and here's what you'll need would be awesome! For prices I'm in Canada so try to find stuff with Canadian prices and I'd like to keep it as affordable as possible. Basically I'd rather not spend over 150 bucks on cooling. Also it'd be neat if the tubing was quick release like in Linus's whole room liquid cooling series.

Due to the nature of Threadripper only the Enermax Liqtech TR4 that has proper coldplate coverage for the die and none of it is compatible with a custom loop. Technically you could buy a Swiftech H220-X2 and their Threadripper kit (AM4-TR4-HPD) which would let you use CPU block again at least but even then you want a block with proper coverage in the end like the Apogee SKF-TR4 if staying Swiftech for example. Air cooling may be your best option here until you save to properly invest the $600+ required for a proper custom loop.

for 150 bucks its gonna be tight to also get quick releases in there.

you will need a EK CPU block ~ 50 bucks

a pump/res combo ideally ~120 bucks

a radiator ~ 40 bucks

fittings: 2 on block, 2 on rad and 2 on pump for about 30 bucks.

i think it would be best to get one of EK's fluid gaming kits, and then swap in your own threadripper compatible block. a nickel block would be ideal in that scenario.

10 hours ago, PPCs-Kat said:

$600+

Surely liquid cooling's not that expensive...

10 hours ago, RollinLower said:

you will need a EK CPU block ~ 50 bucks

a pump/res combo ideally ~120 bucks

a radiator ~ 40 bucks

fittings: 2 on block, 2 on rad and 2 on pump for about 30 bucks.

That's exactly the kind of part breakdown I was hoping I'd be provided with, thanks! Only thing that'd be better is if there were links but oh well I can just google things. Anyway, why would a pump/res combo be ideal?

3 minutes ago, ElfFriend said:

That's exactly the kind of part breakdown I was hoping I'd be provided with, thanks! Only thing that'd be better is if there were links but oh well I can just google things. Anyway, why would a pump/res combo be ideal?

because they are easier to mount, require 3 less fittings to complete the loop and are generally cheaper then a separate pump and reservoir. :)

1 hour ago, ElfFriend said:

For a dual radiator system oh yes it is~ especially if you add your GPU but I did this cheapest on the site build out for you of exactly what you would need last night for a single rad rig which pins it around $360~ depending on who you buy it from because from us it would be another like $50 in shipping and if you want non basic fittings to look nice its going to be about $7~10 a barb unless you buy EKs compression fitting kits :)

build.PNG

1 hour ago, ElfFriend said:

QDC are going to add up very quickly. They also a bad idea the more you add the more it's going to affect the flow.

Fittings tend to reach around 100 dollars(US)+. Specially when you start adding 90 or 60 degree fittings.

You are basically paying 80 to 100 dollars per part(Res.Pump. Rad. CPU & GPU).

WaterCooling is not for people looking for cheap cooling.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon