Buzzing noise from the speakers

lewdicrous

I just bought a speaker set (F&D F550X) and it sounds nice but I'm facing issues with an annoying buzzing sound coming from its speakers.

I tried moving the AUX wire to different jacks but the sound doesn't go away.

I tried moving the speakers and subwoofer to different locations but unfortunately it still buzzes

The noise is is quiet when is switch the subwoofer is turned off but gets loud and obnoxious when I switch it on.

The noise is also there when I switch to Bluetooth, USB and FM. When I mute it, the buzzing starts pulsing.

Does anyone know of any way I can remove that? I searched online but didn't find anything useful.

Thanks in advanced.

Background white noise, i get it too on my Audio A2+.

Can't do much about it aside from getting a different speaker because it comes with the package. 

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Background white noise, i get it too on my Audio A2+.

Can't do much about it aside from getting a different speaker because it comes with the package. 

So I should return this one and buy another one?

Mine is about $70 and the Audio A2+ is about $250... I guess I'm fighting a losing battle :(

1 minute ago, KenjiUmino said:

can you post a recording of the buzzing sound ?

I'll see if my phone can pick it up

23 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

wow ... that's annoying. does this happen when your computer is not connected ? 

It happens when:

• When the computer is switched off.
  • When the AUX wire isn't connected.
  • When I connect the AUX wire to other ports, including my keyboards audio jack.
  • The AUX wire is disconnected from the subwoofer.

It doesn't happen when:

• The subwoofer is completely off.
  • The left and right speakers are not connected to the subwoofer.

It used to happen to my previous speaker too (F&D E200)

I also tried to change the source of power (it used to be connected to an extension cord with the power for my monitors and PC) I kept it on it's own plug but the buzzing still persists.

The noise also gets slightly louder when I increase the volume.

When I switch the subwoofer off using the remote, a high pitched sound comes on instead (kind of like the 'humming' sound you can sometimes hear on your ears)

@KenjiUmino Just found out that it's not grounded, basically like the picture below but without the yellow/green wire (ground/earth wire)

Judging by the look of the cable used, I don't think I can just simply cut it back and connect the missing wire (I might need to open the subwoofer and make a new connection)

Is that the cause of the noise? 

plug-original-large.thumb.jpg.eff3eb974e0e126f333ad13a95b07e89.jpg

37 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

@KenjiUmino Just found out that it's not grounded, basically like the picture below but without the yellow/green wire (ground/earth wire)

Judging by the look of the cable used, I don't think I can just simply cut it back and connect the missing wire (I might need to open the subwoofer and make a new connection)

Is that the cause of the noise? 

plug-original-large.thumb.jpg.eff3eb974e0e126f333ad13a95b07e89.jpg

I dont think it will be as the ground is more of a safety thing however it could be the cable you are using. how long is the cable u have also what amp are you using 

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

2 minutes ago, Matty2048 said:

how long is the cable u have also what amp are you using

What I know is that it's a 56W speaker and the power plug has a 3A fuse.

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

What I know is that it's a 56W speaker and the power plug has a 3A fuse.

what inputs does it have on the back (of the speaker) 

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

6 minutes ago, Matty2048 said:

what inputs does it have on the back (of the speaker) 

5487315660.jpg.2000289241cd642206507140356e0fc1.jpg

@lewdicrous

This is the spectrum of the little noise clip you uploaded, after normalizing:

Spectrum.jpg.06369bc5f297ba5db8b2a4a032172810.jpg

We see the biggest peak at 100 hz, that's almost certainly the bridge-rectified mains (living in a 50hz mains area?).

The second peak next to that is @ almost exactly 350 Hz. All the other peaks after that are on multiples of 350 Hz, so it looks like 350 Hz is the fundamental and the others are it's harmonics. Listening to a 350 Hz test-tone on youtube seems to agree with this, the tones match.

That probably explains the involvement of the subwoofer. Such low tones are produced by the woofer, so if you turn it off it's only natural the noise is mostly gone. It's probably still there but without the woofer you can't hear it, it's beyond the range of the tweeters.

So you're looking for something that's generating 350 Hz noise, can't readily think of something. It's certainly not digital noise or switch mode power supply stuff, the frequency is too low for that.

Have you tried disconnecting everything from the speaker set and only attach a battery powered audio source like your phone. That should help determining if the noise is coming from the speaker set or some weird mains loop.

EDIT: Don't happen to have any LED dimmers/controllers hanging around? Seems a lot of those things do their PWM @ 350 Hz

Example:

http://www.tridonic.cn/cn/download/data_sheets/DS_TALEXX_C001_en.pdf

6 hours ago, Unimportant said:

living in a 50hz mains area?

Yup.

Don't happen to have any LED dimmers/controllers hanging around?

No, but I have LED lights on my ceiling and I think those need transformers or something to make them work. However, the noise is still there when the lights are off.

This is what the LED lights need for them to work, it doesn't say the output/operational frequency.

20180205_092008.thumb.jpg.b38cb3e21ca78ad35fe25231611e8ea4.jpg

Have you tried disconnecting everything from the speaker set and only attach a battery powered audio source like your phone.

I tried that but the noise didn't go away.

I also tried taking the input wire out and just have the speakers connected to the subwoofer but that didn't make any difference.

Buzzing on different modes and volumes, the last part is the noise it makes when it's on mute. Quiet when you power it on but it gets louder when you switch it on with the remote, after I switched it on, it was on Bluetooth mode. (Bluetooth and mute sound like an "alarm")

Buzzing_through_different_modes_and_volumes[1].m4a

On 03/02/2018 at 7:29 AM, lewdicrous said:

...[snip]....  facing issues with an annoying buzzing sound coming from its speakers....[snip]....

Frustrating & annoying issue! Strictly, fyi (and for future readers who get this problem), @SSL did this checklist. Again, FYI.

• 11 months later...

Hello guys,

I own the exact same speaker set, which I bought a few months back, mostly for my ps4. 

I did not have this issue initially (or I didn't notice that it was there as the buzzing sound was probably too low for me to notice). But a few months back, I started noticing it in my late night gaming sessions! Ever since then, it has been increasing and right now it's become unbearable even during the day. The buzzing is now so loud that I even have trouble listening to music with the speakers!

I tried some borrowed side speakers with the woofer (which were taken from a different perfectly working speaker set of my friend), and the noise is still there. So the trouble is definately with the woofer unit! I tried moving the speakers all around the house, thinking maybe it was an interference issue, but the buzzing sound is still there. 

Did the OP find a solution to this problem? I'm inclined to scrap these and get new speakers all together! Gaming with these on is giving me headaches! 

Edited by druhl

2 hours ago, druhl said:

- Snip -

Hello,

The problem is definitely with the subwoofer, the quality is just nonexistent.

I stopped using mine shortly after I made this thread cause of the noise it makes, so no, I didn't find a solution. 

If you're going to buy a new set, then I highly recommend you save up and get a good quality one.

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue. I think the problem lies in the Capacitors of the bridge-rectifier circuitry. Has anyone tried replacing them with fresh ones?

29 minutes ago, bUtsav said:

I have the same issue. I think the problem lies in the Capacitors of the bridge-rectifier circuitry. Has anyone tried replacing them with fresh ones?

I haven't used it much since creating this thread.

I have no solution for that but I just want to say that it's quite sad that it happens but it's really really an interesting problem.  I'm really learning a lot in that thread and I'm curious to see if modding/changing the power supply within the sub (supposing it's internal) would get rid of the sound.  It looks like some interference or parasite noise coming from the power delivery system. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

4 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I have no solution for that but I just want to say that it's quite sad that it happens but it's really really an interesting problem.  I'm really learning a lot in that thread and I'm curious to see if modding/changing the power supply within the sub (supposing it's internal) would get rid of the sound.  It looks like some interference or parasite noise coming from the power delivery system. 

I removed the back panel yesterday to see if a component is damaged, but nothing, at least to my untrained eye.

I don't have the equipment or the expertise to mod it, so I haven't toyed with it at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Greetings

I have the same set of speakers and didn't use them for a while because of the static. Now I realized it was coming ONLY when the screen was showing something and decided to pick it apart. After unscrewing i took out a white ribbon cable from a separate module which was connected to the display in the front. After keeping it unplugged and turning it on the static was mostly and it was all good. As I just discovered this I'm not sure what the extra module did, but I suspect there is some magnetic affection from electricity