gpu downclocks on modded minecraft

as the title says my graphics card(gtx 1080) is down-clocking to 180-600mhz while playing modded minecraft causing the frame rate to plummet and the moment i go to my desktop it goes to 1750mhz i have tried going to stock clocks and it is still happening i dont know why its doing this as yesterday it was working fine the only thing i changed is that i was trying to live stream(my 1700x can do it fine) but even after i stopped streaming the problem persisted

20180201_203348.jpg

20180201_203400[1].jpg

it won't go up if it doesn't need to. power saving.

up the chunks and maybe get shaders mod

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

just tried that set render distance to 24 up from 12 and the game crashed :/ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You are hitting a CPU bottleneck from what it looks like.

Try setting the power profile setting in the NV control panel to prefer maximum performance.

4 minutes ago, wishingpenguin8 said:

a cpu bottleneck on my Ryzen 7 1700x?

If Minecraft is single threaded, yes...absolutely possible.  The Ryzen CPUs are great for things with multiple threads, but not so much for lightly threaded games and applications.

Need to see single core usage on the CPU to tell if it's happening, though.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Minecraft is single threaded and adding tons of mods on top of it will make it run poorly on any system unless you pick and choose your mods carefully.

either way it fixed i had to restart my pc and change the power settings on msi afterburner i now have a solid 60 fps

Ya, the CPU portion of the game was pulling it down below the "idle" usage threshold of the GPU.

and minecraft from what I've noticed is single threaded during game play but when loading assets like the nether it will take all it can get using up to 90% of my cpu