Windows 10 issues as of late December

cool username
Go to solution Solved by cool username,

I got a Windows update late last night and everything seems to be running better so far. Thanks for all your help and input.

I don’t know where to start but basically Windows 10 is a total nightmare now. The whole OS freezes up and I have to hard reboot. The start menu bugs out and everything that should be there disappears. Performance has slowed to a crawl. I’m wondering if this has anything to do with Spectre/Meltdown. My PC is basically pointless to use as I can’t get much done before windows freezes up. It is old but it still runs games great. I cant afford to upgrade yet. It cant be a dying HDD or SSD because my Samsung 850 Pro 256gb is not even a year old and I secure erased it before I reinstalled two days ago. Does anyone else have similar issues?

i did.. broken login screens, random explorer crashes, dissapearing taskbars, lagging, stutters, etc.. no matter how many times i reinstalled it, it always came back.

this is since the 1709 update.

it made me switch to linux... only use Windows for gaming now, and for ms office in a virtual machine...

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i did.. broken login screens, random explorer crashes, dissapearing taskbars, lagging, stutters, etc.. no matter how many times i reinstalled it, it always came back.

this is since the 1709 update.

it made me switch to linux... only use Windows for gaming now, and for ms office in a virtual machine...

I have a clean install as of yesterday and still the same issues. Windows update 1709 was my latest one but it gave me an error code upon downloading. Im not sure if it installed but win update says my PC is up to date.

Just now, cool username said:

I have a clean install as of yesterday and still the same issues. Windows update 1709 was my latest one but it gave me an error code upon downloading. Im not sure if it installed but win update says my PC is up to date.

go to settings, system, and then at the bottem there should be "about" or something.. you can see the version number there.

She/Her

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

go to settings, system, and then at the bottem there should be "about" or something.. you can see the version number there.

but, some of the issues i was having were also happening on earlier versions of windows 10.. but never as bad as this..

She/Her

I really don't see any issues with Windows. I would suggest a fresh install. Everything works fine for me. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

I've seen the start menu bug.  Where you click and the animation doesn't play so the top half loads in and there is a delay before the rest appears.  It's subtle, but it's there.

I also had to restart a computer that wouldn't load the task manager or start menu at all.  After reboot it was fine though.  

Both of these issues are on lower end machines on 1709.  I wonder if it is a performance issue or a bug or both?

16 minutes ago, VinsinityKT said:

I really don't see any issues with Windows. I would suggest a fresh install. Everything works fine for me. 

I just did a clean install two days ago.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Prime.HD said:

how much ram u have??

32GB, its been in for over a year and it passed all tests. Ram is not the issue as these just started late December.

I got a Windows update late last night and everything seems to be running better so far. Thanks for all your help and input.