Asus P5Q not booting

Hey LTT tech community !

So, my problem is as follows everything was running just dandy when all of the sudden yesterday I tried starting my pc but it would not even POST. The fans move an inch but dont run. I tried unplugging everything and re-seating it. CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD and all I could think of. Tried removing motherboard onto a static free workspace and shorting the start pins but still the same. I think that it might be a short circuit somewhere but not sure since it cant be shorting out on the case when its out of it hahaha. So any help and wisdom is welcome.

Thanks everyone.

Core2Quad Q9400 2.66GHz (Currently 3.8GHz OC) Asus GTX 650TI 1gb 8GB DDR2 800MHz 

What was the last thing you where doing before trying to start it back up? and do you by any chance have a secondary PSU on standby if so. Swap out what ever PSU which is currently in it and plug the other one in. (Probably without your GPU depending on WATTS) if it starts with the secondary PSU, plug back in your primary one and check if it boots as well.

You said that the fans moved an inch which would happen when you do a power cycle. Assuming you didn't the PSU wasn't providing Power to the Mobo so the fans moving an inch was if using what energy was left in the system at that time.

Try the thing with the PSU and get back with the outcome. Worked for me when mine PC wouldn't start up one time. 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

3 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

What was the last thing you where doing before trying to start it back up? and do you by any chance have a secondary PSU on standby if so. Swap out what ever PSU which is currently in it and plug the other one in. (Probably without your GPU depending on WATTS) if it starts with the secondary PSU, plug back in your primary one and check if it boots as well.

You said that the fans moved an inch which would happen when you do a power cycle. Assuming you didn't the PSU wasn't providing Power to the Mobo so the fans moving an inch was if using what energy was left in the system at that time.

Try the thing with the PSU and get back with the outcome. Worked for me when mine PC wouldn't start up one time. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I did try that with my friends brand new EVGA psu it was 800watts or something like that. I also tried povercycling it, clearing RTC and CMOS. So i'm pretty sure if it was becouse of the OC it would be treated with cmos clear. And as for what I was doing I was playing Shadow of War for a couple of hours and some VRAY rendering and shut the system down. And yesterday morning this happens...

Oh and also I tried jerry rig starting the PSU it worked just fine (by shorting the green wire to a ground black wire fan started just fine) and also plugged it in to another system worked just fine.

Edited by muderris
Additional info

Core2Quad Q9400 2.66GHz (Currently 3.8GHz OC) Asus GTX 650TI 1gb 8GB DDR2 800MHz 

@muderris if your Saying the PSU worked fine something may have gone wrong with the Mobo then. I would suggest removing the Mobo and examining it for any irregularities among it, Could be possible a header got damaged. 

I'll look into some detail about the Asus P5Q board if you wanna try the suggestion below if not done already.

Try seeing if it could be a problem with the components connected so simply have the PSU,Mobo and CPU installed and see if the board posts then just add back components until it either stops working again or doesn't. 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

I suspect the mobo aswell. I tried memtesting each ram stick in another motherboard for 20 min each no errors. GPU started in the other older system, and CPU too. But I will try your suggestion swapping out part by part. And please do give me insight into anything that you might think of.