New PC for dev and gaming down the road?

mrbannon

My laptop is at death's door and I need a machine to work on. Here's what I'm thinking:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Xdpnm8

So, it's missing:

- monitor (I'll use my TV for now)

- graphics card (will invest later)

- storage (I've got drives laying around, but will buy an M.2 and/or SSD in a couple months)

- more RAM (yup, need more RAM)

All the missing stuff I plan to buy later. Like I said, right now I just need something that can be built upon, will get my development job done, and is a starting point for a future gaming rig (as in the next 6 months or so). I'm not a hard-core gamer, but I would like to start casually getting back into stuff I like (e.g. Falcon BMS, which would require extra peripherals as well as a graphics card).

Opinions?

Tx,

Ryan

Ryzen doesn't have an iGPU, you'll have to get one. Another option would be something like the 8400, depending on how multithreaded the programs are.

Don't get the 1600X. Just get the 1600 and overclock it. 

The Ryzen 95W stock cooler is decent, so use that one, or get a better cooler if you get a third party one.

Get faster RAM, it will make a few % difference. The frequency and latency matters, the brand does not.

Get a better, lower wattage PSU. The Arc is crap. Something like the CX450M is fine for an overclocked 1080 system. Or pick any tier 1-2 PSU from the tier list. 550W is plenty for an overclocked 1080 Ti system.

:)

Thanks all for the input. Given your suggestions, I've updated:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HPvGBP

I moved to the Intel i5-8400. I don't need massive processing power since I work mostly on cloud stuff. Plus it has iGPU and comes with a heat sink (which maybe I'll replace later). I increased the RAM with something that (I think) is better. Also added an M.2 and a 550W PSU.

Not sure about the M.2 or motherboard. Any advice greatly appreciated.

64GB is simply not enough for a boot/system drive. 120GB ssd are available for just a touch more. 240GB would be much better. I would go with a 2.5" drive and leave the M.2 connectors for NVMe upgrades.

A 450W psu should be more than enough. Corsair CX450 (2017) or Corsair CX450M (2015).

I would try to save a bit more on the motherboard. Perhaps Gigabyte Z370P D3.

Not a fan of the memory speed for a Coffee Lake cpu, but given how awful memory pricing is I guess you have to take what can be afforded.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($244.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($163.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Storage: Transcend - 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($93.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Gray) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Total: $764.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-30 20:34 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

5 minutes ago, brob said:

64GB is simply not enough for a boot/system drive. 120GB ssd are available for just a touch more. 240GB would be much better. I would go with a 2.5" drive and leave the M.2 connectors for NVMe upgrades.

A 450W psu should be more than enough. Corsair CX450 (2017) or Corsair CX450M (2015).

I would try to save a bit more on the motherboard. Perhaps Gigabyte Z370P D3.

Not a fan of the memory speed for a Coffee Lake cpu, but given how awful memory pricing is I guess you have to take what can be afforded.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($244.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Transcend - 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($93.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Gray) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Total: $764.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-30 20:34 EST-0500

Thanks! 

The reason I went for that MB was because I'm not sure about future graphics card, so just in case, I wanted Crossfire and SLI support. 

1 hour ago, mrbannon said:

Thanks! 

The reason I went for that MB was because I'm not sure about future graphics card, so just in case, I wanted Crossfire and SLI support. 

You are giving up a reasonable size ssd "just in case" you decide at some future point that you can afford and want a second gpu. In my mind that is not a good tradeoff.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

6 hours ago, brob said:

You are giving up a reasonable size ssd "just in case" you decide at some future point that you can afford and want a second gpu. In my mind that is not a good tradeoff.

You would better get a cheaper mobo and get a bigger SSD, this one works pretty good.

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/j7psHN
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/j7psHN/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($233.95 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($120.00 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Silicon Power - Slim S55 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($90.48 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Gray) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($56.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($72.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Total: $738.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-31 04:23 EST-0500

13 hours ago, seon123 said:

Don't get the CX500, it's quite different from the CX450M and CX550M/CX550. 

Thanks again to all for the info.

@seon123, different in what way (aside from the obvious) that would have me not consider it?

5 minutes ago, mrbannon said:

Thanks again to all for the info.

@seon123, different in what way (aside from the obvious) that would have me not consider it?

Lower temperature rating, worse components and a much worse design (internally). It's group regulated, rather than DC-DC. 

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Lower temperature rating, worse components and a much worse design (internally). It's group regulated, rather than DC-DC. 

@seon12 Thanks!