used 16GB vs bnew 8GB

Noyu
Go to solution Solved by TheGlenlivet,
2 minutes ago, Noyu said:

so just for future reference, non-identical kits would generally work in dual channel? it's just that the system will automatically clock down to be stable right?

Correct.  And you would probably NOT be able to overclock them.

just so you know, i already have a 1x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400 MHz that I bought Jan 2017 at 47$, when prices weren't stupid YET.

now the same stick costs 86$ (almost double)

sooo I was looking at ads for DDR4 RAM and while cringing at the pricing, I found a pretty sweet deal for a 1-month used 1x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz for 90$.

should I take it and maybe upgrade to 32GB dual channel LAAAAAAATER on?

(obviously it looks like I'll be selling the Crucial Ballistix since I doubt it'll work together with the 16GB Vengeance)

P.S. rig in sig

UPDATE: I MISREAD THE AD, IT SAYS POSTED ON JANUARY 7, 2017. SELLER WAS LAST ONLINE FEB 2017

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

just so you know, i already have a 1x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400 MHz that I bought Jan 2017 at 47$, when prices weren't stupid YET.

now the same stick costs 86$ (almost double)

sooo I was looking at ads for DDR4 RAM and while cringing at the pricing, I found a pretty sweet deal for a 1-month used 1x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz for 90$.

should I take it and maybe upgrade to 32GB dual channel LAAAAAAATER on?

(obviously it looks like I'll be selling the Crucial Ballistix since I doubt it'll work together with the 16GB Vengeance)

P.S. rig in sig

Check the timings.  They will default to the slowest ram settings.  If you can live with that, then get the used.  Save $$$.

I would like to see you use 32GB of memory with an i5 7500 [:

Any ways for real just get the used 16gb stick it clearly is the best offering, and you obviously can run it in dual channel with what you already have, you'll just get down to 2133mhz to keep good timings by default that's all.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Any ways for real just get the used 16gb stick it clearly is the best offering, and you obviously can run it in dual channel with what you already have, you'll just get down to 2133mhz to keep good timings by default that's all.

To be fair, my Filipino friend here would have 24 GB of RAM or as I like to call it - "I got a sweet deal since no one buys 24 GB kits" of RAM.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I MISREAD THE POST

IT SAYS POSTED ON JANUARY 7, 2017 NOT 2018

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SH*T MY BAD FOLKS 

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

1 minute ago, Noyu said:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I MISREAD THE POST

IT SAYS POSTED ON JANUARY 7, 2017 NOT 2018

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SH*T MY BAD FOLKS 

Image result for d'oh meme

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

3 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

To be fair, my Filipino friend here would have 24 GB of RAM or as I like to call it - "I got a sweet deal since no one buys 24 GB kits" of RAM.

so just for future reference, non-identical kits would generally work in dual channel? it's just that the system will automatically clock down to be stable right?

Karamo

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

nah it's fine. I don't usually overclock CPU and RAM.

thanks!

Karamo

Spoiler