Laptop vs Desktop

i want your help for selecting my laptop 

From this

Which is a customized laptop with i7 8700k and gtx 1080 for about 3000$ and i am customizing it with

New thermal paste 
1x16gb 2400Mhz ram
7200 rpm 1tb hdd and an
250 gb M. 2

So i have 2 questions 
1. Is this money worthy
2. I heard nvidia is bringing it volta card out in early this year and they say that it is gddr6. Now i have a dought that wether i can upgrade my laptop with that new volta card after buying this gddr5 laptop (will it work) , or should i wait.Screenshot_20180129_233246.thumb.jpg.c22cb61d18470278e603307ef8cd839b.jpgScreenshot_20180129_233254.thumb.jpg.10d759cc3b207d384847b96ac98da508.jpg

5 minutes ago, BittuChowdary said:

So i have 2 questions 

1. Is this money worthy
2. I heard nvidia is bringing it volta card out in early this year and they say that it is gddr6. Now i have a dought that wether i can upgrade my laptop with that new volta card after buying this gddr5 laptop (will it work) , or should i wait.

1. Assuming MSRP prices, you can build a desktop with peripherals for much less.

2. Nothing's been announced, so as far as we know, it can be at GDC or whatever, or it can be next year. And while you can probably upgrade the GPU in the laptop, it's more than likely using MXM modules, which are a crap-ton more expensive. Imagine having to pay the inflated prices of video cards on the market now all the time. And you usually have to rely on eBay, because very few (if any) officially source them. So it's usually almost never worth it to upgrade a laptop GPU if it can be upgraded unless the laptop is really old and the MXM modules have fallen out of demand.

Going by your title, (Laptop VS Desktop) The desktop will be cheaper using the same parts. So is it worth it? Depends on if you think it's worth it. Do you want a laptop because you will be gaming on the go? Because if you only plan on gaming at home there's no real reason to buy a laptop. In terms of upgradability, as far as I'm aware you wont be able to switch out the CPU/GPU except maybe if the GPU is on an MXM module, and even then, I don't know if that will make it possible to upgrade.

And as for Volta, I wouldn't hold my breath. There's no information about when the consumer Volta GPU's will come out.

If you need a monitor, the laptop can be worth it (g-sync 3k displays can be pricey).  I would see if it could be had for a few hundred less though, 2200-2400 range.

I personally made the jump to a laptop recently.  At the lower end of PC gaming you can buy a laptop for cheaper than a building a full system while still getting reasonable battery life and virtually the same performance.

I picked up my Lenovo Y520 (i5-7300HQ, 8gb RAM, GTX 1050 Ti 4gb, 256gb PCIe SSD, open 2,5" bay) for $699.

If you want a laptop, get a laptop.

If you want a desktop, get a desktop.

If you want something that is more expensive than a desktop, has pathetic-to-the-point-of-useless battery life, is ridiculously large and heavy, then buy that thing.

I have a desktop replacement workstation laptop (15" class). I despise carrying it anywhere because it is heavy, cannot go anywhere without its power cord, is loud, is huge, and again is heavy. I can't imagine lugging around a bigger and heavier version. It also can't game that great, and is not upgradeable aside from RAM and storage.

I would not throw $3k+ money into a 'gaming' laptop. Spend less and buy a desktop gaming rig and a REAL laptop, if you actually need the portability of a laptop.

On 29/1/2018 at 7:03 PM, BittuChowdary said:

i want your help for selecting my laptop 

From this

Which is a customized laptop with i7 8700k and gtx 1080 for about 3000$ and i am customizing it with

New thermal paste 
1x16gb 2400Mhz ram
7200 rpm 1tb hdd and an
250 gb M. 2

So i have 2 questions 
1. Is this money worthy
2. I heard nvidia is bringing it volta card out in early this year and they say that it is gddr6. Now i have a dought that wether i can upgrade my laptop with that new volta card after buying this gddr5 laptop (will it work) , or should i wait.Screenshot_20180129_233246.thumb.jpg.c22cb61d18470278e603307ef8cd839b.jpgScreenshot_20180129_233254.thumb.jpg.10d759cc3b207d384847b96ac98da508.jpg

not buying from sager because that i7-8700K needs to be delidded. check hidevolution because they offer delidded cpu/liquid metal and a custom bios

Spoiler