Anyone else having extreme reliability issues with Kabylake after all these "fixes"?

atxcyclist

A few weeks ago I had a perfectly fine system that was fast and never had problems, but now with the BIOS updates and Windows 10 patches, my start menu no longer works, once reliable software acts completely odd with crashes and other problems, and I'm just wondering if other people are having these same sorts of problems? I'm very much debating trashing this processor/motherboard and either putting together a Ryzen system, or just simply putting my newer video card into my old Athlon 870k system.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Why would building a ryzen build negate issues with windows 10?

Windows 10 updates are always hit or miss and in this particular case it was a miss and when it misses it requires reinstall often enough, as for bios updates I don't know why people would bother with those as it seems like a waste of time until all the kinks are worked out but unless you are having system crashes from hardware glitches (power loss for example) then they likely are a non issue.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Why would building a ryzen build negate issues with windows 10?

Windows 10 updates are always hit or miss and in this particular case it was a miss and when it misses it requires reinstall often enough, as for bios updates I don't know why people would bother with those as it seems like a waste of time until all the kinks are worked out but unless you are having system crashes from hardware glitches (power loss for example) then they likely are a non issue.

Because I'm certain these issues have been caused by the "fixes" stemming directly from the Intel Meltdown vulnerability. Before the BIOS updates and the specific Windows patch for Intel systems, I wasn't having these issues. I'm running the exact same version of Windows 10 on my 870k system with the exact same creators update, minus the specific Intel Meltdown patch, and it's working 100%. I'm also running the same version and updated version of Windows 10 on my Ryzen workstation at work, with no problems either. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

32 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

A few weeks ago I had a perfectly fine system that was fast and never had problems, but now with the BIOS updates and Windows 10 patches, my start menu no longer works, once reliable software acts completely odd with crashes and other problems, and I'm just wondering if other people are having these same sorts of problems? I'm very much debating trashing this processor/motherboard and either putting together a Ryzen system, or just simply putting my newer video card into my old Athlon 870k system.

Rollback the BIOS. It's probably buggy.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Sounds like you've run into fairly typical Windows 10 problems. The start menu breaks for seemingly unknown reasons (sometimes even without any updates being applied) for lots of users. It's actually such a common issue that Microsoft has released a program for diagnosing and repairing it. You can find an article with a download link to the tool here.

The Spectre BIOS update supposedly has stability issues, but it should crash your entire system, not just individual programs.

Sounds like something just went wrong with the update, but I would recommend you try and rollback your BIOS just in case.

1 hour ago, atxcyclist said:

"fixes" stemming directly from the Intel Meltdown vulnerability.

And changing to ryzen wouldn't fix that as 1) The spectre patch is needed by ryzen and bundled and 2) windows does this regardless of the patch randomly (you just rolled snake eyes essentially)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

16 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

And changing to ryzen wouldn't fix that as 1) The spectre patch is needed by ryzen and bundled and 2) windows does this regardless of the patch randomly (you just rolled snake eyes essentially)

Well, since it takes about 20 seconds to open the start menu, file explorer, or anything else on that computer now, there must be something wrong with it from an update that happened recently. That's the only one I can think of, but neither my Athlon nor Ryzen systems are having this problem, so it has to be something implemented for Intel processors. It's either that or an amazing coincidence that a computer working fine suffered some other problem not related to the update, just after it was installed.

I rolled my BIOS back and there's no change. The computer is essentially unusable, and reinstalling the OS only to get back here again in a few days when all the updates are installed doesn't seem like a good payoff for the time spent. This leads back to my original question of whether or not anyone else has been having this problem with other Kabylake systems. Whether I deal with this horrendous performance, or throw this mobo and processor in the trash and buy a Ryzen setup is a separate thing all together from that, but I know Ryzen is working fine with the current updated version of the OS.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R