ABSpCgP.jpg

Then go to "Advanced"

Gt3dxyR.jpg

"Custom Pstates/Throttling" and Accept the Disclaimer

OEUskKD.jpg

And check the settings here

zLOHeLx.jpg

It should be all on "Auto".

I also don't think it's a heat issue, because the lowest Ryzen can clock to, is 1.3 GHz and CPU-Z tends to be more "correct" than Task Manager.

So my friend built his PC a while back, but for some reason his CPU, the r3 1200, has been running at 1.5GHz...

But the problem is, it shows 3.1 in BIOS, 1.5 in CPUZ, and 1.3 in task  manager. He got a 199 in cinebench, and the average should be around ~500 I think

His current build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pMBgRG

I know the RAM is too much for the motherboard, but it was the same price. Could that be affecting it?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Of course it shows 3.1GHz in BIOS because it's not the current clock speed, it's just displaying the info of the CPU

IMO the mobo might be the problem since it only supports up to 65W TDP (due to weak VRM) and you probably can't OC it despite B350 chipset

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Had the same problem. I'm on an Asrock AB350 Pro and every time i tried to go over 4 GHz and 1.4V with the "simple" Overclock, it didn't accept the values, because it doesn't turn off the C-State Management. So the CPU just refused to accept the values and fell back to the "last" valid C-State - which is 1.55 GHz on a Ryzen.

Reset everything to standard, install the newest Bios and try again. If that doesn't work, look in to "AMD PBS Settings". Asrock made it overly complicated with the newer Bios Versions...i'll see if i can make some quick screenshots.

Good news everyone...!

9 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Of course it shows 3.1GHz in BIOS because it's not the current clock speed, it's just displaying the info of the CPU

IMO the mobo might be the problem since it only supports up to 65W TDP (due to weak VRM) and you probably can't OC it despite B350 chipset

Havent OC'd though.

Any recommended one? Its a budget build so nothing above 60-70

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Is the heatsink mounted correctly? It could be throttling.

Right. First of all, Check if "OC Mode Change Switch" is on "ASROCK Settings"

ABSpCgP.jpg

Then go to "Advanced"

Gt3dxyR.jpg

OEUskKD.jpg

zLOHeLx.jpg

I also don't think it's a heat issue, because the lowest Ryzen can clock to, is 1.3 GHz and CPU-Z tends to be more "correct" than Task Manager.

Good news everyone...!

1 hour ago, David89 said:

Right. First of all, Check if "OC Mode Chance" this is on "ASROCK Settings"

ABSpCgP.jpg

Then go to "Advanced"

Gt3dxyR.jpg

OEUskKD.jpg

zLOHeLx.jpg

Alright thanks, I will keep updated once he comes back :)

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

1 hour ago, QuantumBit said:

So my friend built his PC a while back, but for some reason his CPU, the r3 1200, has been running at 1.5GHz...

But the problem is, it shows 3.1 in BIOS, 1.5 in CPUZ, and 1.3 in task  manager. He got a 199 in cinebench, and the average should be around ~500 I think

His current build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pMBgRG

I know the RAM is too much for the motherboard, but it was the same price. Could that be affecting it?

This is a very common problem, which has been well discussed throughout the community.  

Your friend needs to update to the latest BIOS and the problem will be solved. 

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Yep, BIOS update is what you need.

4 hours ago, done12many2 said:

This is a very common problem, which has been well discussed throughout the community.  

Your friend needs to update to the latest BIOS and the problem will be solved. 

He updated the BIOS and nothing happened.

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

6 hours ago, David89 said:

Right. First of all, Check if "OC Mode Chance" this is on "ASROCK Settings"

ABSpCgP.jpg

Then go to "Advanced"

Gt3dxyR.jpg

OEUskKD.jpg

zLOHeLx.jpg

Thanks! It runs at 3.1 GHz and never goes above 50-60C

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Part of the 1.5ghz bug was also having a custom base vcore setting on boards with p-state overclocking.  Set vcore to auto and it should work fine.

5 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Thanks! It runs at 3.1 GHz and never goes above 50-60C

Good - but it can do so much more :P Even on that board you should get it to run at 3.6 GHz without any problem. Maybe even 3.7.

Good news everyone...!

1 minute ago, David89 said:

Good - but it can do so much more :P Even on that board you should get it to run at 3.6 GHz without any problem. Maybe even 3.7.

Idk if we wanna risk it.. Last time this happened since he tried to OC.. Maybe I'll try to help him next time

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

53 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Idk if we wanna risk it.. Last time this happened since he tried to OC.. Maybe I'll try to help him next time

Then he OCed wrong :P The only thing you have to do on those Asrock Boards is put the Clock Speed in and the Voltage. Try "3600" in the Frequency and "1.3" Volts on the VCore, save, reboot and run OCCT with the small preset. I like to Test day to day overclocking with the worst possible case, so i run the small preset for 60 Minutes and then AVX for another 60 Minutes. However, to dial in the OC, i just run it till the Temps are equalized (which takes generally 2-3 Minutes on Air), see if i'm okay with the Temps and either Dial back the VCore more OR ramp up the frequency. In Theory the 1200 should do 1.3V just fine on 3.6 GHz. However, i've seen 1200s even do 1.25V on 3.6 Ghz which is actually pretty damn impressive.

Anyway, you can't really destroy something as long as you don't go over 1.4VCore - so just try it^^ If it isn't happy, it just won't clock above a certain point (and obviously crash ;) ). You can "lock" it on that Frequency, but the nice thing about Ryzen is - if you dial in the Frequency like that at least in my opinion it's a lot more forgiving about not enough Voltage. At this point, i'm pretty sure this has to do with XFR still "working" in terms of power regulation. (Came to that conclusion while logging the frequency changes with linux...)

Good news everyone...!