Need information - iRacing

TonyTheNain

Hello everyone!

So I bought a G920 to play Forza on my Xbox. 

I'm considering getting iRacing but I need information since I don't have the gear stick.

I know there is not a lot of assistance in iRacing, but can you at least activate automatic or do I need to buy the gear stick?

Thank you!

You still got the paddle shifter right?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

23 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

You still got the paddle shifter right?

Yes. I guess I'll use that!

3 hours ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

Yes. I guess I'll use that!

Mind you if you decide to get Assetto Corsa, that game need H-Shifter for car that only have H-Shifter.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just get Assetto corsa and join leagues, Iracing just rapes your wallet.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

29 minutes ago, super_skank said:

Just get Assetto corsa and join leagues, Iracing just rapes your wallet.

That much? I know there is stuff you need to buy in game, but I didn't know it was this much

2 hours ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

That much? I know there is stuff you need to buy in game, but I didn't know it was this much

You literally have to buy everything cars and tracks in iRacing, the cars are not cheap either, you will literally need to spend hundreds to get any kind of good collection of cars to choose from this is on top of a subscription. And if there is a car you like and if no one else is racing it you are screwed, its money down the toilet.

Assetto corsa has a good base game with a few paid DLC's, but it killer advantage is all the free mods that are available for it, there are paid mods too, which are as good as anything from the official team.

I can't recommend Assetto Corsa Highly enough, i play offline as i am an hot lapper, but the online is quite mature now, although it lacks a few real life rules (blue flags). the online racing looks very good from what i have seen of it, although this is dependent on skill level of other players, but there are apps that give a skill level and safety rating out there, that separate the good from the less skilled and more idiotic drivers.

The AI is quite challenging, unless you are Fernando Alonso quick, anything above 90% is a struggle for me to beat, although I'm sure it is beatable, the good thing is you can custom set the difficulty so that the whole field is of mixed level, and the aggression can be customised too, They do shunt you off a fair bit though, you really have to to be cautious when you have one behind you.

iRacing is probably good, but the business model is cancerous too me, if you are a subscription service, you shouldn't be selling basic content that you need to play.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

15 hours ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

@super_skank Thank you for the explanation! I'll think about it, but I'll probably go with AC.

Yup, iRacing is too expensive if you want to enjoy variety of tracks and cars. Try Project Cars 2 or rFactor 2 too. rF2 got plenty of free mods to enjoy.

Mind that you gonna need H-Shifter to drive cars that only have H-Shifter in Assetto Corsa. Of course you can use auto-transmission but that ain't fun imo. :P

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Yup, iRacing is too expensive if you want to enjoy variety of tracks and cars. Try Project Cars 2 or rFactor 2 too. rF2 got plenty of free mods to enjoy.

Mind that you gonna need H-Shifter to drive cars that only have H-Shifter in Assetto Corsa. Of course you can use auto-transmission but that ain't fun imo. :P

You don't need the H-shifter at all on AC, you can use the flappy panel on all cars.

The big difference with Iracing, is it is based on being simulation, as far as driving experience compared to many other games i've tried, iracing has probably the best. It is expensive if you are just looking for a 'game' to play, if you are wanting to race and live the racing dream without leaving your living room, and have simulators, or 2k+usd in steering, pedals, shifters, handbrakes, etc etc then it is the experience for you, you start at the bottom need to work your way up, if you lose a race, you lose license points, if you win or place top3 you gain points, etc. Lack of car selection is a draw back and yes $12usd per CAR if you dont like the included cars, you have to purchase additional tracks as well, and $$$$$ also with the monthly subscription, you dont actually own the game, its online, no AI drivers, and can be challenging to find races some times. The tracks are insane and very accurate, The Dirt cars are rare in racing sims. It basically has nearly every type of driving experience 

18 hours ago, super_skank said:

You don't need the H-shifter at all on AC, you can use the flappy panel on all cars.

Really? I recall i couldn't drive the Miura without attaching my H-Shifter before but that was like 2 years ago btw. xD

8 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Really? I recall i couldn't drive the Miura without attaching my H-Shifter before but that was like 2 years ago btw. xD

yeah, the controls are very configurable, there is a tick box to turn the H-Shifter on and off, why you would want to if you have got one, who knows, can't beat a bit of heal toe.

Let's clear up some iRacing misconception here:

1) You don't need 2k+ worth of shit to have fun.. I have a G27 steering wheel with Fanatec peddles, hardly 2k.

2) All cars can be driven with auto-clutch so floppy peddles work just fine

3) Yes its a bit more expensive but you are paying for iRacing actually going to real tracks, scanning them with lasers and then building them to exact detail. Seriously.. I have friends who use iRacing and race in real life, the tracks are realistic enough to be used for race prep

4) There is a fair bit of variety of cars, true you can't own everyone but the base content will keep you busy. MX5 Cup will get you through rookie, SRF can be run after promotion out of rookie. 

5) Buy content in groups for maximum discounts, then as you get more content you get hefty discounts for how much you own and when buying it in groups

6) If you lose a race you don't lose license points. Here is some education:

a) Points for finishes. This is determined by iRating. iRating is based on how well you finish against the competitions iRating. Each race has what's called a Strength Of Field, SOF for short. This is based on everyones iRating. When you finish your iRating will be added to or subtracted from. In a race your number is where you are against the competition, I.E - if you are #8, you are the 8th out of how many are in that race. So if you are #8 out of 10, and finish top 4 typically you will gain iRating.. 5/6 will be about even, 7th or worst you will probably lose. The points for finishes are determined by SOF, higher competition, more points in a race.

b) Safety rating - This is determined by how many incidents you have and is key to getting you out of rookie. Race clean and keep in on track and it will go up.. have high incident counts every race and you'll be stuck in rookie. Also in a standard race 17 incidents and you are out. Incident can be contact, running wide on a corner, turning in too early and cutting a corner, etc.

Depending on what you want to do its all available now.. ovals, dirt ovals, road courses and rally cross. I highly recommend it for long term fun. If you are going the road route MX5 Cup in rookie then do the SRF series to learn how to race.. SRF series typically has 3 to 5 free tracks per season and tries to double up a paid track to maximize your purchase.