Acess to hdd

motapinto

Hello guys!

I am starting in this.. I just bought a m.2 ssd and the windows is running from there and then i have all the other content in the HDD

But when i am in the home screen I cant see any apps or programmes that are on the hdd... How can i change this=?

8 minutes ago, motapinto said:

Hello guys!

I am starting in this.. I just bought a m.2 ssd and the windows is running from there and then i have all the other content in the HDD

But when i am in the home screen I cant see any apps or programmes that are on the hdd... How can i change this=?

Are you running Window 10? should be in your storage settings.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Were the applications installed from the new m.2 drive or are they from the old drive?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

I have every single program and files in the HDD that appears as E:

But to access them and put them for example in the desktop do i need to do anything?

Yes i am running windows 10.. For example when i try to go to the E: folder (HDD) when i try to open some files it says it cant access, etc

2 minutes ago, motapinto said:

I have every single program and files in the HDD that appears as E:

But to access them and put them for example in the desktop do i need to do anything?

That can lead to large amount of issues.. for them to appear on the desktop they would have had to been installed on that machine and program files directory changed in registry

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

So what should I do??

I thought it was supose to work like that... You would have a SDD to fast "login" in your OS and the Games, pictures, music,.. would be in the hdd to be access directly

You can create shortcuts that reference the program files located on E: on your desktop...

I know that.. The problem is that is saying the programmes dont exist

26 minutes ago, motapinto said:

So what should I do??

I thought it was supose to work like that... You would have a SDD to fast "login" in your OS and the Games, pictures, music,.. would be in the hdd to be access directly

It does work like that but only if the applications were installed on that system...

Open regedit (Start > Run > "regedit"). Then find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion". Now look in the right pane. Change "ProgramFilesDir", "ProgramFilesPath", "ProgramW6432Dir" and "ProgramFilesDir (x86)". If your secondary drive letter is E:\, then change them to "E:\Program Files", "E:\Program Files", "E:\Program Files" and "E:\Program Files (x86)", in that order that I just mentioned.

Please do not make these changes and try to keep the old install files...you will only make things worse

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/change-install-location-windows-10-apps/

12 minutes ago, NinJake said:

You can create shortcuts that reference the program files located on E: on your desktop...

Really??

Just now, Icuw1pc said:

Really??

Oh, maybe I misread somewhere or another. I was unaware that they didn't actually "install" these files on this build. I thought they simply redirected all install paths to the other E: rather than C:.

5 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Oh, maybe I misread somewhere or another. I was unaware that they didn't actually "install" these files on this build. I thought they simply redirected all install paths to the other E: rather than C:.

Even then you could still potentially run into issues, my best recommendations is to have all applications run from the same system directory not spanned across different drives.

Each application when installed will need access to not only the system registry but other key system components. I'm sorry but without being installed with that system the key values will not match and nor will any of the other system data. If you want that software to interact with that system and the Internet you may also run into issues with activation as the system's install ID's will not match either.

So the best solution is to wipe the HDD with CCLeaner and download apps, .. all over again ?

I don't know why you would need to wipe the drive with ccleaner but you definitely can (I just use Disk Management, or File Manager) but yes that would be my recommendation. Some applications like steam you can "copy" game data but you might have to check the installs through steam as it may have to repair game data.

All other applications I would just extract keys if need be, and re-download them all.

Just now, motapinto said:

extract keys?

For say MS Office you can use tools like produkey to extract the product keys.

Yes of course... Sorry about all those questions... Thanks a lot!

8 minutes ago, motapinto said:

Yes of course... Sorry about all those questions... Thanks a lot!

It's all good, glad to help :)

2 hours ago, Icuw1pc said:

Even then you could still potentially run into issues, my best recommendations is to have all applications run from the same system directory not spanned across different drives.

I'm not sure what you're talking about as I have an SSD I installed windows on, but another SSD where I install all other software/games. No issues over the past 2+ years thus far.

13 hours ago, NinJake said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about as I have an SSD I installed windows on, but another SSD where I install all other software/games. No issues over the past 2+ years thus far.

From another windows installation?

2 hours ago, Icuw1pc said:

From another windows installation?

No. I guess even after re-reading this post it was difficult to determine that they have 2 windows installs on 2 different drives... as they never stated this explicitly. I think it's also safe to assume they don't natively speak English so all is well.