Can I install any other OS on ps4 ?

Go to solution Solved by Kenan1099,

I know this is old but yes you can ! And unofficial drivers do exist, tho they're FAR from perfect(but yes, usable) .

But only if you're willing to exploit your console, some might say that this is illegal, but YOU OWN the goddamn hardware so YOU decide what to do with it, not some money thirsty mega company. Tho keep in mind that this procedure is NOT 100% safe and may result in a ban in sony's online services and if you don't pay enough attention you may brick (brick means that it WON'T turn on ever again, broken, byebye, game over, just as useful as a brick) your console. No one is responsible but yourself, and sony won't repair such damage, only way to fix it is mobo replacement, which is just 50 dollars short from buying a new ps4.

I'm just gonna lay on the basics and you'll have to complete the rest.

1st, you must have an exploitable ps4 [any ps4 running firmware 5.05 or earlier as of the 30th of july] AND a ps4 compatible with the linux video driver, I heard some models are compatible and some models (especially the pro and slim ones , tho not all pros and slims) aren't compatible, it's a total raffle here ! Mine sadly wasn't compatible, if yours isn't compatible it will just display a black screen and shutdown (you have to press power button 2 times for it to return to orbis/ps4 os).

Edit# Actually, an updated bzimage was released which supports like 99% of PS4s , and mine worked ! (https://github.com/eeply/ps4-linux/releases)

Oh and you should have an external storage device to install linux to (you can't install it on the internal hdd, insta brick !). Tho I should expect you to have all that tech stuff if you're on this site asking this question of all questions !

2nd,you must webkit exploit the ps4: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/hacking-the-ps4.10717/ <- these are the basics only, feel free to search up a trusted guide on youtube, and by trusted I mean channels that DON'T ask for [ likes, shares, surveys, anything that may earn them unfair cash], and NEVER trust sites like ps4portal, they're a bunch of sc*mbags who take advantage of naive people and strip them all outta cash .

3rd you now can install linux : http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps4-linux-loader-by-valentinbreiz-supporting-4-55-5-01-5-05-firmware.18232/ <- once again, basic and incomplete info, feel free to search for videos, tho i did follow this one 

Now would I recommend this ? No and yes.

No, just because of the trial and error nature of the webkit exploit, and the fact that you will lose PSN access (with a risk of a ban, please learn to differentiate between a console and an account ban ).

Yes, because you can finally use your ps4 for a lot more stuff (emulators, a better web browser that doesn't lag each millisecond, mine BITCONEEEEE sorry, run your steam library, browse linustechtips.com while feeling cool, whatever you'd do on a pc,etc) ! You can even run windows apps using wine ! (see LTT's video on the topic ! It's very insightful !)

Please only post one thread at a time about a particular topic. I've merged your other thread with this one. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Please only post one thread at a time about a particular topic. I've merged your other thread with this one. 

Sorry 

Just now, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Sorry 

No problem. It's not a huge deal. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Linux is something that has been modded onto it. Not going to post a link as a) pretty sure modding the PS4 is prohibited by Sony, and b) if a) is true, then going into further detail may violate the CS.

No you can’t. Of course hackers still find a way to do it but only to demonstrate prove of concept and told you it is possible. There is absolutely no driver and software support beyond that so if you think you can take advantage of the powerful APU in ps4 to play steam games, too bad. You can’t because there is no graphics driver other than the basic ones come up by hackers to just output basic desktop. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 6 months later...

I know this is old but yes you can ! And unofficial drivers do exist, tho they're FAR from perfect(but yes, usable) .

But only if you're willing to exploit your console, some might say that this is illegal, but YOU OWN the goddamn hardware so YOU decide what to do with it, not some money thirsty mega company. Tho keep in mind that this procedure is NOT 100% safe and may result in a ban in sony's online services and if you don't pay enough attention you may brick (brick means that it WON'T turn on ever again, broken, byebye, game over, just as useful as a brick) your console. No one is responsible but yourself, and sony won't repair such damage, only way to fix it is mobo replacement, which is just 50 dollars short from buying a new ps4.

1st, you must have an exploitable ps4 [any ps4 running firmware 5.05 or earlier as of the 30th of july] AND a ps4 compatible with the linux video driver, I heard some models are compatible and some models (especially the pro and slim ones , tho not all pros and slims) aren't compatible, it's a total raffle here ! Mine sadly wasn't compatible, if yours isn't compatible it will just display a black screen and shutdown (you have to press power button 2 times for it to return to orbis/ps4 os).

Edit# Actually, an updated bzimage was released which supports like 99% of PS4s , and mine worked ! (https://github.com/eeply/ps4-linux/releases)

Oh and you should have an external storage device to install linux to (you can't install it on the internal hdd, insta brick !). Tho I should expect you to have all that tech stuff if you're on this site asking this question of all questions !

2nd,you must webkit exploit the ps4: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/hacking-the-ps4.10717/ <- these are the basics only, feel free to search up a trusted guide on youtube, and by trusted I mean channels that DON'T ask for [ likes, shares, surveys, anything that may earn them unfair cash], and NEVER trust sites like ps4portal, they're a bunch of sc*mbags who take advantage of naive people and strip them all outta cash .

3rd you now can install linux : http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps4-linux-loader-by-valentinbreiz-supporting-4-55-5-01-5-05-firmware.18232/ <- once again, basic and incomplete info, feel free to search for videos, tho i did follow this one 

No, just because of the trial and error nature of the webkit exploit, and the fact that you will lose PSN access (with a risk of a ban, please learn to differentiate between a console and an account ban ).

Yes, because you can finally use your ps4 for a lot more stuff (emulators, a better web browser that doesn't lag each millisecond, mine BITCONEEEEE sorry, run your steam library, browse linustechtips.com while feeling cool, whatever you'd do on a pc,etc) ! You can even run windows apps using wine ! (see LTT's video on the topic ! It's very insightful !)

Edited by Kenan1099
Outdated info

4 hours ago, Kenan1099 said:

1st, you must have an exploitable ps4 [any ps4 running firmware 5.05 or earlier as of the 30th of july] AND a ps4 compatible with the linux video driver, I heard some models are compatible and some models (especially the pro and slim ones , tho not all pros and slims) aren't compatible, it's a total raffle here ! Mine sadly wasn't compatible, if yours isn't compatible it will just display a black screen and shutdown (you have to press power button 2 times for it to return to orbis/ps4 os). Oh and you should have an external storage device to install linux to (you can't install it on the internal hdd, insta brick !). Tho I should expect you to have all that tech stuff if you're on this site asking this question of all questions !

Nice! if i had a few 100 usd to burn (twice) id get a ps4 for this express purpose and one to use as you know a normal ps4 :P 

Watching topics on xda dev... i heard them say numerous time that it would be easier to emulate a ps4 on android than a ps2 and obviously if you can run a pc os on a ps4 there is a reason they say this. The ps4 is more or less a pc in a different package where as the ps2 is way different than a pc though some of the hardware (gpu) may be all but the same as a pc the rest is not how it uses what hardware that is pc like is also very different. 

Imagine this use case. A ps4 running ubuntu running a s4 emu lol I mean hey why not do it when ps4s become less than illegal to emulate. I would seriously do it just for the laughs. Could make for a out right viral youtube video watch me play a ps4 game on a ps4 running ubuntu running a ps4 emulator .... 

Ohhh fun one to try. Ps4 running ubuntu with a ps1 emulator and psp emulator? Some one with ubuntu on the ps4 must do this and must do it now!!! :P

There’s definitely some way of doing it if you pass the right zeroes and ones through it. However I can’t think of an upside as there’s  very high chance you’ll just brick your hardware and, say you do it successfully, you likely won’t be able to run the PS4 games its original OS could anyway. There’s also an imense chance there won’t be fully working drivers to adapt the hardware to whatever you install on it. I suggest you consider installing Ubuntu on your toaster and running whatever you want on it instead of killing your PS4 lol

23 hours ago, Moresco said:

There’s definitely some way of doing it if you pass the right zeroes and ones through it.

This just in: man solves every computer problem at once.

On 31/07/2018 at 6:49 PM, Moresco said:

There’s definitely some way of doing it if you pass the right zeroes and ones through it. However I can’t think of an upside as there’s  very high chance you’ll just brick your hardware and, say you do it successfully, you likely won’t be able to run the PS4 games its original OS could anyway. There’s also an imense chance there won’t be fully working drivers to adapt the hardware to whatever you install on it. I suggest you consider installing Ubuntu on your toaster and running whatever you want on it instead of killing your PS4 lol

Dude, No.

Even the first linux on ps4 exploit was capable of running frickin' portal !

mark 38:20 on the video

Tho I can agree (little bit) on the brick part, the user would have to intentionally go out of their way or be as dumb as possible to cause severe damage, and the chances of a brick for no reason are low.

And the driver part is partially false, good enough graphics drivers have been made for the fat and slim models (tho none for the pro), the rest works except for wifi (which can work, sometimes not). 

I wouldn't say "immense" but rather just chance by itself.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:49 AM, Moresco said:

The ps4 hardware esp graphics are pretty much just normal pc hardware. The graphics drivers would be the highest likely hood of being hard to find or make as they are the hardest to find for old pc hardware with more modern operating systems. Next would be sound next wifi and finally chip set as hardest to find to easiest. Chipsets often don't even need much in the way of drivers even the most modern os for example tends to have chipset drivers for the oldest chipsets. I have seen drivers in windows 10 for Pentium 133 mmx machines i mean up yeh really what is the point? I suspect they are in there to provide built in support for vms that are running on virt 133mhz mmx machines. 

So long as the hardware is well understood (the s4s is) drivers can be made for it this means the hardest part the only hard part is a exploit to get the os to install. While sony does like to lock things down pretty tight they also want things to be easy to update with out having tons of failures. So as has been said the exploit exists the install works etc. So as long as that exploit is not patched (probably can not even be patched) . Custom oses on ps4 will be possible. 

In the emulation world it is said that "no ps2 emulator will ever likely be seen on android. It will be easier to make a ps4 emulator because the ps4 is at its core nothing more than a pc in a custom case with a custom operating system" That is a qoute (99% accurate i do believe) from those who made the ps1 ps2 and worked on the psp emulators for pc and android for psp and ps1. 

Mentioned this only do to the fact that if they say this about those systems and how easy it would be for a ps4 emulator do to it being a pc then a custom os on it is simple.