Does any one know if there are any good tutorials for visual C++ Programing

I know the basics of c++ from working with Arduinos, but I want to move in the direction of creating programs for a computer.  I looked into finding tutorials on c++, but all I found was tutorials of Writing programs that interacted with a command prompt... I know that is good to start off with, but I want to learn how to create a Program that runs in its own window and  create my own User Interface. 

1) Are there any good tutorials on creating visual programs with c++?

2) Is c++ even a good language for creating visual programs? should I try another language?

3) (kinda unrelated) I have heard of C#, what is the main use for C#? Would it be a better option than C++?

Not the best person too ask about programming, I can arduino but that's about it.

C# is easier but C++ can do more I think, they are quite similar.

C# was introduced by Microsoft as a competitor to java.

From what I've heard it Pro tv is goodfor learning many things, they sponsor many of the podcastsI listen to. They have a free trial too.

ITProTV

The fun and entertaining way to sharpen your IT skills. Get a free 7-day trial & 30% off a monthly membership for the lifetime of your active subscription. Visit itpro.tv/twitand use code TWIT30 at checkout.

1 hour ago, r4tch3t said:

Not the best person too ask about programming, I can arduino but that's about it.

C# is easier but C++ can do more I think, they are quite similar.

C# was introduced by Microsoft as a competitor to java.

From what I've heard it Pro tv is goodfor learning many things, they sponsor many of the podcastsI listen to. They have a free trial too.

ITProTV

The fun and entertaining way to sharpen your IT skills. Get a free 7-day trial & 30% off a monthly membership for the lifetime of your active subscription. Visit itpro.tv/twitand use code TWIT30 at checkout.

ok thanks, and ill check them out

7 hours ago, TheGodlyJorts said:

I know the basics of c++ from working with Arduinos, but I want to move in the direction of creating programs for a computer.  I looked into finding tutorials on c++, but all I found was tutorials of Writing programs that interacted with a command prompt... I know that is good to start off with, but I want to learn how to create a Program that runs in its own window and  create my own User Interface. 

1) Are there any good tutorials on creating visual programs with c++?

2) Is c++ even a good language for creating visual programs? should I try another language?

3) (kinda unrelated) I have heard of C#, what is the main use for C#? Would it be a better option than C++?

A popular framework is Qt. Install Qt creator and a supported compiler toolkit and you're set.

The Qt website itself has some tutorials: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtexamplesandtutorials.html

Although thorough C++ knowledge is required to get anywhere (that goes for any GUI framework), so perhaps it' better to study the language further first. 

20 hours ago, TheGodlyJorts said:

(kinda unrelated) I have heard of C#, what is the main use for C#

C# most common use is going to be web, especially web for business. But don't be fooled, that isn't anywhere near it's only use.

However: C# is so much more than that: It is the flagship language in the .NET world. 

Since you're asking about Visual C++ and Visual C#, I think it's important to make sure that you know a few things about what .NET is, and why working with these languages is different than other languages, or other versions of them (in the case of C++).

What .NET really is is two parts:

1. The FCL or Framework Class Library, which is a very big library of code that Microsoft writes. This is perhaps the most attractive part of the .NET family.
  2. The CLR or Common Language Runtime. The CLR is really just a very nice JITC, or Just In Time Compiler, that consumes something called Common Intermediate Language and outputs machine code at runtime.

The FCL is mostly available to all of the .NET languages. So you write a program in your chosen language (VB, C++, C#, F#) and then you compile it. At compile time, it is not compiled into machine code, it is instead compiled into something called CIL, or Common Intermediate Language. CIL is an object oriented language that the CLR can understand. At runtime (when you execute the program), the CLR is started up, and then it starts reading and compiling the CIL, turning it into machine code (Just In Time) and executing it. 

The CLR provides many services, but perhaps the most important is memory management (memory allocation and garbage collection). This means that you don't have to manually allocate and release memory (mostly).

This was a pretty simple overview, there is alot more to what's going on in .NET than this, but this is alot of what a beginner should know. 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

17 hours ago, Unimportant said:

A popular framework is Qt. Install Qt creator and a supported compiler toolkit and you're set.

The Qt website itself has some tutorials: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtexamplesandtutorials.html

Although thorough C++ knowledge is required to get anywhere (that goes for any GUI framework), so perhaps it' better to study the language further first. 

Ok thanks, I'll look into it!

11 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

C# most common use is going to be web, especially web for business. But don't be fooled, that isn't anywhere near it's only use.

However: C# is so much more than that: It is the flagship language in the .NET world. 

Since you're asking about Visual C++ and Visual C#, I think it's important to make sure that you know a few things about what .NET is, and why working with these languages is different than other languages, or other versions of them (in the case of C++).

What .NET really is is two parts:

1. The FCL or Framework Class Library, which is a very big library of code that Microsoft writes. This is perhaps the most attractive part of the .NET family.
  2. The CLR or Common Language Runtime. The CLR is really just a very nice JITC, or Just In Time Compiler, that consumes something called Common Intermediate Language and outputs machine code at runtime.

The FCL is mostly available to all of the .NET languages. So you write a program in your chosen language (VB, C++, C#, F#) and then you compile it. At compile time, it is not compiled into machine code, it is instead compiled into something called CIL, or Common Intermediate Language. CIL is an object oriented language that the CLR can understand. At runtime (when you execute the program), the CLR is started up, and then it starts reading and compiling the CIL, turning it into machine code (Just In Time) and executing it. 

The CLR provides many services, but perhaps the most important is memory management (memory allocation and garbage collection). This means that you don't have to manually allocate and release memory (mostly).

This was a pretty simple overview, there is alot more to what's going on in .NET than this, but this is alot of what a beginner should know. 

So are there any distinct advantages or disadvantages that c++ has over C#

11 hours ago, TheGodlyJorts said:

So are there any distinct advantages or disadvantages that c++ has over C#

I think that this stack exchange thread has a really good reply to that:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3147744/should-i-use-managed-c-or-c-sharp-for-my-application

I would use managed C++ if I:

• Needed to integrate with existing C/C++ code
  • Needed to port existing C/C++ code to .net
  • Needed to use .NET objects from C++
  • Needed to expose .NET object over COM in a more complex way than what .net makes easy
  • Needed to access hardware directly
  • Needed to call lots of unmanaged APIs

And already had some skills in C++, as the above tasks will need a experienced C++ programmer. Most of the time I would only consider managed C++ if the company already had a C++ code base, otherwise who is going to maintain the managed C++ code.

In other cases I would always choose C#. Even if I choose managed C++ for part of the system, I would try to write as much of the system as possible in C#.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME