(Note) Please update the latest BIOS for ME Firmware before installing this driver ?

I'm doing a clean windows 10 install and I'm downloading my motherboard drivers

gigabyte z170x gaming 5

but I can see that there is 2 version of the intel management intel inetrface

the newer one has this note

-t(Note) Please update the latest BIOS for ME Firmware before installing this driver

does that mean that I need first t update my motherboatd bios to the latest version ?

-https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-5-EU-rev-10#support-dl

Christmas Is My Favorite Holiday

Went to the website and looked over it.  The way I see it, you must update the BIOS first before installing that update.  Just make sure that you get the correct update because they are listed differently for Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.  Of course, also watch out for either 32 bit or 64 bit.

Before you do anything though, get a second opinion.

The management engine was updated, thus requiring a different driver. If you have the latest BIOS, download the newest management engine driver. If you don't, download the other one.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Went to the website and looked over it.  The way I see it, you must update the BIOS first before installing that update.  Just make sure that you get the correct update because they are listed differently for Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.  Of course, also watch out for either 32 bit or 64 bit.

Before you do anything though, get a second opinion.

they say latest BIOS for ME Firmware ?

its my first time hearing about ME Firmware bios

Just now, NelizMastr said:

The management engine was updated, thus requiring a different driver. If you have the latest BIOS, download the newest management engine driver. If you don't, download the other one.

no I'm still using the f4 bios for my motherboard 

Just now, Nataly_Gaming_Girl said:

no I'm still using the f4 bios for my motherboard 

Then download the older ME driver :) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Then download the older ME driver :) 

thanks but just 1 more question

they said to update BIOS for ME Firmware not for the motherboard

or I'm wrong ?

Sorry, can't help you much there as I don't have a lot of experience with Intel, mostly AMD.  But I did a google on "ME Firmware" and came across this.  I read over it but didn't really understand what they were trying to say.  You might want to give it a look.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025619/software.html

1 minute ago, Nataly_Gaming_Girl said:

thanks but just 1 more question

they said to update BIOS for ME Firmware not for the motherboard

or I'm wrong ?

Well, yeah. In this case, the ME firmware update patches some security vulnerabilities, so it is recommended to update. Version F22d also patches some vulnerabilities (Meltdown).

So, flash the F22d BIOS, then install the latest ME driver.

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Well, yeah. In this case, the ME firmware update patches some security vulnerabilities, so it is recommended to update. Version F22d also patches some vulnerabilities (Meltdown).

So, flash the F22d BIOS, then install the latest ME driver.

This sounds like good advice so yea, I would go ahead with the F22d BIOS update as suggested here, then go with the ME driver.  The "Meltdown" vulnerability has been around a LONG while (years is my understanding), so you definitely want to take care of that.  NelizMastr: great advice and thanks for helping me understand.