670-770

HTiLewis

I am contemplating getting a new graphics card. In my budget is the green team 770 (I haven't had any experience with the red team). For about $400, I can get an EVGA ACX 770 with 4gb of vram. I'm starting to get into modding skyrim and would love a little more vram to push through the texture packs and such...and future proof for a different monitor. 

I'm pretty happy with the performance of my 670 and if I could find another 670 that wasn't being sold at some dude's house on craigslist, I'd pick one up and try SLI.

I know my improvements in FPS aren't going to be majestic, but does this upgrade make sense? I know I would essentially be buying a beefed up 680.

Wannabe enthusiast...proud owner of a 2005 STi though. BRAAAP!

It would be (not that much) since you are looking for more VRAM and if your current 670 has only 2GB of VRAM.

If you regard my facts as wrong, feel free to rectify it.

——————————————————————————

If you regard my opinions as wrong, feel free to ignore it.

Does it make sense, I'd say no to be honest,

Save your money and stick with the GeForce GTX 670 and upgrade when the 800 series are released next year

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't had any real luck finding my particular 670 anywhere. It's the EVGA superclocked 2gb version. My PSU is 860w, so I'm not worried about running it, just can't find them.

Does it matter that I wouldn't be going with the same manufacturer? If I went with MSI, for instance, would it jack the whole thing up? Or do I just need to keep the clock speeds and vram relatively similar?

Thanks for finding those Coom, I was searching for 670, not gtx 670 (which seemed to make a difference!).

I would get a second 670, and what resolution are you playing at?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Does it matter that I wouldn't be going with the same manufacturer? If I went with MSI, for instance, would it jack the whole thing up? Or do I just need to keep the clock speeds and vram relatively similar?

Thanks for finding those Coom, I was searching for 670, not gtx 670 (which seemed to make a difference!).

Nothing wrong will happen. As long as you get the same GPU and same amount of VRAM, nothing should go wrong.

If you regard my facts as wrong, feel free to rectify it.

——————————————————————————

If you regard my opinions as wrong, feel free to ignore it.

My monitor is 1680x1050, but planning on at least going to 1080p or higher when the budget allows and 4k is widely adopted so the prices fall on the lower resolution monitors lol.