need help with front panel cables.

Sophice

So, i might be being stupid here, but.. for some reason my cases front panel has two reset switches but motherboard only has room for the one.

But, the case manual clearly shows a pic with only 1 reset sw and it having a hdd led cable which my case doesnt have.. anyone got any ideas?

IMG_2027.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2029.JPG

1 minute ago, Sophice said:

So, i might be being stupid here, but.. for some reason my cases front panel has two reset switches but motherboard only has room for the one.

But, the case manual clearly shows a pic with only 1 reset sw and it having a hdd led cable which my case doesnt have.. anyone got any ideas?

snip

Well just don't plug one of the reset in your mobo. You technically only really need the power switch and the LED are for cosmetic purpose only. You could just try. Won't harm your mobo in any way. 

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Just now, Arcanekitten said:

Well just don't plug one of the reset in your mobo. You technically only really need the power switch and the LED are for cosmetic purpose only. You could just try. Won't harm your mobo in any way. 

this was my first thought, but it just confused me as to why, i thought maybe the case makers had somehow managed to accidentally print reset sw on the hdd led one by mistake, ill give it a shot and see what happens. thanks

Haha, okay. So one of the Reset SW connectors is actually a HDD LED (most likely. It could be the power switch). Just the wrong connector got put on it. 

Easiest way to test this is to connect the reset switch cable (one of them) to the power switch pins and press the reset switch on the case. If the system powers on, it's the reset switch. If it doesn't, it's the HDD LED connector. 

Once you've determined which one is the HDD LED connector, connect everything else and connect the HDD LED to the appropriate pins. If the LED doesn't work, turn the connector around and it should work. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Haha, okay. So one of the Reset SW connectors is actually a HDD LED (most likely. It could be the power switch). Just the wrong connector got put on it. 

Easiest way to test this is to connect the reset switch cable (one of them) to the power switch pins and press the reset switch on the case. If the system powers on, it's the reset switch. If it doesn't, it's the HDD LED connector. 

Once you've determined which one is the HDD LED connector, connect everything else and connect the HDD LED to the appropriate pins. If the LED doesn't work, turn the connector around and it should work. 

ok, ill give that a shot, suppose its my own fault for buying a cheap-ish case lol..

Just now, Sophice said:

ok, ill give that a shot, suppose its my own fault for buying a cheap-ish case lol..

Got to be honest, I've never seen duplicate front panels connectors before. 

I have seen power and reset switches being swapped before though. Seeing as the connectors do the same thing, it's not really an issue though. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Got to be honest, I've never seen duplicate front panels connectors before. 

I have seen power and reset switches being swapped before though. Seeing as the connectors do the same thing, it's not really an issue though. 

did you mean plug the reset sw into the power pins or the reset pins?

12 minutes ago, Sophice said:

did you mean plug the reset sw into the power pins or the reset pins?

Power pins. The reset switch and power switch both just bridge pins, so they work in either. It's just to establish if one of them is the HDD LED. 

If you plug the Reset Switch to the Power SW pins and press the reset switch, the system should power up. If you connect the HDD LED (which may be also marked Reset SW) to the Power SW pins and press the reset switch, nothing will happen and you'll know that one is the HDD LED. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Power pins. The reset switch and power switch both just bridge pins, so they work in either. It's just to establish if one of them is the HDD LED. 

If you plug the Reset Switch to the Power SW pins and press the reset switch, the system should power up. If you connect the HDD LED (which may be also marked Reset SW) to the Power SW pins and press the reset switch, nothing will happen and you'll know that one is the HDD LED. 

its ok i tried it out the way you originally posted and got it all powered now, thanks so much :) just gotta wait for the ram to show up next week and i can finally have my new rig up and running.

Just now, Sophice said:

its ok i tried it out the way you originally posted and got it all powered now, thanks so much :) just gotta wait for the ram to show up next week and i can finally have my new rig up and running.

Must have just had a Reset SW connector lurking in the HDD LED connector bin :D

You can buy the connectors fairly cheap if you wanted to swap it out, but it doesn't make a difference to how it works. 

Must have just had a Reset SW connector lurking in the HDD LED connector bin :D

You can buy the connectors fairly cheap if you wanted to swap it out, but it doesn't make a difference to how it works. 

nah ill just leave it haha, cant even see it, specially once its all lit up in a seizure inducing rgb glow :P

one quick question (my first time building so i really dont know alot about all this) i got a 1080ti, its got a 8pin and 6pin power connector, should i fill both? or just the 8.

6 minutes ago, Sophice said:

nah ill just leave it haha, cant even see it, specially once its all lit up in a seizure inducing rgb glow :P

one quick question (my first time building so i really dont know alot about all this) i got a 1080ti, its got a 8pin and 6pin power connector, should i fill both? or just the 8.

Both, it won't work if you only connect one as they're required power connections, unlike the 8+4 type on the CPU, where only one is actually needed. 

Both, it won't work if you only connect one as they're required power connections, unlike the 8+4 type on the CPU, where only one is actually needed. 

yeah i figured, id plugged both in anyways just wanted to make sure, really nervous bout breaking something, since im spending alot of money and its my first time building, tho everything seemed fine when i powered it on, mobo lit up, as did the graphics card and all 5 fans span, so it looks fine, just cant actually boot it as theres no ram yet lol

1 minute ago, Sophice said:

yeah i figured, id plugged both in anyways just wanted to make sure, really nervous bout breaking something, since im spending alot of money and its my first time building, tho everything seemed fine when i powered it on, mobo lit up, as did the graphics card and all 5 fans span, so it looks fine, just cant actually boot it as theres no ram yet lol

It's actually fairly difficult to break anything unless you're just throwing stuff around or try to really force something in to somewhere it doesn't go. In generally, everything is keyed in a way to prevent you from breaking anything electrically. In general if you don't plug something in or plug something in that isn't keyed, all that will happen is it won't work until you connect it properly, rather than anything breaking.

It's actually fairly difficult to break anything unless you're just throwing stuff around or try to really force something in to somewhere it doesn't go. In generally, everything is keyed in a way to prevent you from breaking anything electrically. In general if you don't plug something in or plug something in that isn't keyed, all that will happen is it won't work until you connect it properly, rather than anything breaking.

well, i had a anti-static wrist band connected to a separate psu that was plugged in and turned on, just to be sure hah. since i got a 450w psu first when i planned on getting a 1070 but since i got the 1080ti i had to get a 550w instead..