PC upgrade

Walt

Hi everyone,

One of my best friends wants to upgrade his pre-built pc. He has a Dell Inspiron 3847. Which has an i5-4440, 8gb drr3 and gt 625 (oem). The upgrade is meant for more fps and a better game experience. I think we need to upgrade his gpu but first we need to know which psu it has. Is there a way we can find it out without opening it up? (He doesn't live nearby and don't want to open it up himself) 

He doesn't need a really good gpu (at maximum a 1050TI) but what do you advise? Also does it need to be a blower style card or is there enough airflow in the case? Also keep in mind that the is probably not that great.

Thanks!

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

4 minutes ago, Walt said:

Hi everyone,

One of my best friends wants to upgrade his pre-built pc. He has a Dell Inspiron 3847. Which has an i5-4440, 8gb drr3 and gt 625 (oem). The upgrade is meant for more fps and a better game experience. I think we need to upgrade his gpu but first we need to know which psu it has. Is there a way we can find it out without opening it up? (He doesn't live nearby and don't want to open it up himself) 

He doesn't need a really good gpu (at maximum a 1050TI) but what do you advise? Also does it need to be a blower style card or is there enough airflow in the case? Also keep in mind that the is probably not that great.

Thanks!

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-3847-desktop/manuals

This has all the info you'll need, but I would open it anyway to check it out.

PCs like that one often come in different varieties, they may have different PSUs and I wasn't able to find any info on it in my 2 min search. it is far easier to just unscrew the sidepanel and take a look, he doesn't need to take apart the actual PC components. I also recommend a blower style card since there only seems to be one tiny exhaust fan, and overclocking the card isn't great anyway due to the PSU.

9 minutes ago, Walt said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Just make sure the GPU you get does not need a 6pin PCIe power connector and you should be off to the races. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

22 hours ago, Brink2Three said:

Just make sure the GPU you get does not need a 6pin PCIe power connector and you should be off to the races. 

Is it true that the gtx 1050Ti has no PCIe power connector? And if so is it worth considering because the psu is not that great?

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Is it true that the gtx 1050Ti has no PCIe power connector? And if so is it worth considering because the psu is not that great?

It is true. All the power the 1050 Ti needs is provided by the PCI-e slot it's plugged into. Because it's not a power hungry card and only requires 75W, it should be good to remove the 625 and replace it with the 1050 Ti. However, the 625 OEM is only a 29W power draw so it depends on how tight Dell was with the PSU. Best thing your friend can do is open the side and see how many watts the PSU supplies.

On 17-1-2018 at 6:29 PM, ZenMonkey said:

It is true. All the power the 1050 Ti needs is provided by the PCI-e slot it's plugged into. Because it's not a power hungry card and only requires 75W, it should be good to remove the 625 and replace it with the 1050 Ti. However, the 625 OEM is only a 29W power draw so it depends on how tight Dell was with the PSU. Best thing your friend can do is open the side and see how many watts the PSU supplies.

It's a 300Watt do you think we need to buy a new psu?

31 minutes ago, Walt said:

It's a 300Watt do you think we need to buy a new psu?

Without knowing every piece of hardware he has in his system, I'm assuming a stock intel cpu fan, 2-3 system fans, and one hard drive in addition to what you've mentioned, so I'll say it should be enough, but I can't guarantee it if he has other devices using power and/or his power supply isn't 80+ rated. Best case is it works fine, but he shouldn't expect high boost clocks, and definitely no overclocking.

56 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

Without knowing every piece of hardware he has in his system, I'm assuming a stock intel cpu fan, 2-3 system fans, and one hard drive in addition to what you've mentioned, so I'll say it should be enough, but I can't guarantee it if he has other devices using power and/or his power supply isn't 80+ rated. Best case is it works fine, but he shouldn't expect high boost clocks, and definitely no overclocking.

Is there any software tool to see how much he’s using?

13 hours ago, ZenMonkey said:

There's no software tool that I know of. As far as I know, you need a meter like https://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU to get an accurate real-time measurement.

There are no blower style 1050Ti's. Is this because the don't get that hot? The case has not much airflow so I thought a blower style was better.