Ram Speed 2400Mhz Vs 3000Mhz

Johoni

Hello

Im upgrading my cpu to a 8700k in my system and with that comes the upgrade to DDR4 ram. 

I want to save some money and the diffrence between 2400mhz and 3000mhz is around £50 so i was wondering if the performance difference would really be worth it?

Whichy one would you choose?

Thanks in advance

PC Specs:
Cpu - i7 8700k (1.25V 4.9Ghz)
Ram - 2x8Gb Crucial Ballistics 2666mhz
Motherboard - Asus Prime Z370-A
Gpu - Gtx 1080Ti Palit Super Jetstream
Psu - Corsair 850i Platinum+
HDD - 2Tb Seagate Green 7200RPM
SSD - 120Gb Kingston 

Have you checked PC PartPicker for pricing? Usually the difference is around the $20-30 mark unless DDR took another price hike.

Anyways, faster RAM at the same latency will always be beneficial, but you can try overclocking manually to achieve those results. Also, CFL standard memory speed is 2666MHz, so try to aim for at least this. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, Johoni said:

Hello

Im upgrading my cpu to a 8700k in my system and with that comes the upgrade to DDR4 ram. 

I want to save some money and the diffrence between 2400mhz and 3000mhz is around £50 so i was wondering if the performance difference would really be worth it?

Whichy one would you choose?

Thanks in advance

3000.  The difference on intel systems isn't dramatic for normal use, but faster is better.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Have you checked PC PartPicker for pricing? Usually the difference is around the $20-30 mark unless DDR took another price hike.

Anyways, faster RAM at the same latency will always be beneficial, but you can try overclocking manually to achieve those results. Also, CFL standard memory speed is 2666MHz, so try to aim for at least this. 

The memory is team vulcan 2400mhz (£120) cas14 vs corsair lpx 300mhz cas16 (£170)

The latency is actually less so which i didn't realise.

I can enable xmp in the bios no matter which one i pick right? So that brings up the question: if i use xmp for the 300mhz will the performance increase by the same amount as the 2400mhz one will?

I worded that really badly so i hope you understand what i meant :D

PC Specs:
SSD - 120Gb Kingston 

8 minutes ago, 12345littlepeople said:

I find your typo in the title humorous, also unless you go Ryzen RAM speed really doesn't matter a lot, especially if the price difference is big.

You think its a typo? I mean't to say 300Mhz :) 

PC Specs:
SSD - 120Gb Kingston 

15 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

3000.  The difference on intel systems isn't dramatic for normal use, but faster is better.

What do you class as normal use?

PC Specs:
SSD - 120Gb Kingston 

3 minutes ago, Johoni said:

What do you class as normal use?

Gaming, browsing, etc.  Upping ram speed (xmp etc) in intel systems gets you a few FPS, a few points in firestrike, or cinebench.  It doesn't transform a system into a beast from a potato.

Hey, guys

I am thinking about making a pc for medium load gaming and light productivity, using the ryzen platform. I REALLY want the price to be lower but my main question was, can I go cheaper on the ram and get 2400mhz and overclock it manually and get the same or a bit under ram speeds or should I just get 3000mhz and just spend a little more money. Also, does anyone know where to get 1x8gb stick of trident Z memory, I can't seem to find one ANYWHERE, I want to get one stick of eight cause then I can upgrade to 32gb if I get a motherboard with 4 ram slots and then I don't have to get new ram and just throw out the other ones. (I know that I can get better performance out of 2x4gb)

Anyone Thanks Guys (In advanced)

If its a ryzen it Really does benifit from faster memory/ram. With the 2400mhz and overclocking it too 3000mhz it's not guaranteed to actually Oc that far not without loosening timings some but with ram so expensive i would go with ram that has samsung b chips they seem to have pretty good overhead so it should get pretty close to that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2018 at 4:15 PM, MRThumbs said:

Hey, guys

I am thinking about making a pc for medium load gaming and light productivity, using the ryzen platform. I REALLY want the price to be lower but my main question was, can I go cheaper on the ram and get 2400mhz and overclock it manually and get the same or a bit under ram speeds or should I just get 3000mhz and just spend a little more money. Also, does anyone know where to get 1x8gb stick of trident Z memory, I can't seem to find one ANYWHERE, I want to get one stick of eight cause then I can upgrade to 32gb if I get a motherboard with 4 ram slots and then I don't have to get new ram and just throw out the other ones. (I know that I can get better performance out of 2x4gb)

Anyone Thanks Guys (In advanced)

Nah get high speed ram for ryzen. Dont gimp on it. Also start ur own thread you are somewhat interferering with OP’s current discussion which can cause miscommunications later on

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

Ram price is so expensive, get the cheapest one and overclock it if you want to.

3000 mhz ram is basically a 2400 in an xmp mode anyway.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w