What are the basics of server hardware?

Hey, I'm looking into building a server for the website I'm currently coding. What are the basic hardware needs for a small website- with basic needs of storage, memory, and graphics, if any? Thank you for taking your time to help me with this.

Hi,

You should really look into hosting it online using a VPS or a mutual hosting service instead than on premise. In the end it's going to be way cheaper and better network performance than if you try to host it yourself.

What kind of traffic are you expecting? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

What kind of traffic are you expecting? 

I'm expecting low traffic for about half a year or so. Max maybe 100 visitors at a time.

2 minutes ago, AJJaxNet said:

Hi,

You should really look into hosting it online using a VPS or a mutual hosting service instead than on premise. In the end it's going to be way cheaper and better network performance than if you try to host it yourself.

I will, thank you for the advice.

the same as a desktop computer.

but really.. if its anything thats gonna be out on the interwebz, you want to put that thing in a datacenter. if it's on the cheap there's these guys in france that re-invented the concept of cheap, if you're expected to pull a lot of traffic, there's companies whose main bread and butter is providing people like you with the solution they need.

Go with someone like linode or Digital Ocean, I host my site(s) on there for all three of my businesses and have yet to have an issue with them. They are super solid and fairly cheap too. Their API is nice too since you can automate it so that when your site gets hit hard that it can auto scale up but sadly they don't have anything built for that yet. I am sure it is coming likely this year. Their survey and online indicated maybe later this year. I am sure it will be great like the rest too. 

Oh and for spaces as they call it, you can use the same packages as you would for AWS S3 since they designed it to be a simple switch over. 

azure or aws both do some very attractive options for hosting a simple website. you do it as "Platform as a Servrice" so you just deploy the app, you dont even manage the underlying VM/OS.

for small site hosting there really is no good reason to go on-prem anymore (for a new deployment), and thats coming from me a big anti-cloud hardware geek :) 

7 hours ago, Jay Deah said:

azure or aws both do some very attractive options for hosting a simple website. you do it as "Platform as a Servrice" so you just deploy the app, you dont even manage the underlying VM/OS.

for small site hosting there really is no good reason to go on-prem anymore (for a new deployment), and thats coming from me a big anti-cloud hardware geek :) 

Cloud based is great for HA, anything that doesn't have to be HA or have backups is fine On-Prem

Website? Honestly you could install virtual box (https://www.virtualbox.org/) and then whatever OS you want (Linux/Windows/Whatever) and away you go. Since you're designing it, you'd know how much resources it need but a basic website needs very little RAM or CPU resources. I would not buy dedicated hardware for a single website.

Even if you go with shared hosting (you don't need a VPS) I'd still install vbox as your dev server. 

Maybe start off with vbox, get it up and going - then if you feel like you need more throughput or availability move to a hosted solution.

Also, buy a domain name. It's $10-$13/yr and worth every penny. Majority of registrars and their DNS support dynamic IP updates.

**If you're already running your desktop 24/7 then there would be no increase in electricity cost, but if you turn it off for 10hr/s a day then the monthly cost of electricity generally would cost as much as shared hosting. Namecheap's smallest package is $40/yr....

Entirely depends on what type of website it is, what availability it needs and number of visitors.

If it's just a hobby thing with a low number of visitors then I would recommend a Raspberry Pi.