Laptop CPU clock Speed stays at minimum (0.78 GHz) while plugged in

CPU - Load 100% - Battery : Plugged in(High/Best Performance mode) - Clock speed : 0.78 GHz (stable

CPU - Load 100% - Battery : Unplugged(High/Best performance mode) - Clock speed : above 2 GHz(and varying)

CPU load stress test while plugged in at 100% and 100% Best Performance Mode.Capture-charging.PNG.7c11790cbd400e8290bf3ee9cb1f6e36.PNG

CPU load stress test while on battery and 100% Best Performance Mode.

Capture-battery.PNG.f8040dd912f44463519eae7b498402a8.PNG

This Laptop is HP P045tx, Purchased it in 2014, Came with Windows 8.1, after Windows 10 was released i made the switch and everything was cool, except this.

Yes,

I have my drivers up-to-date with BIOS and Chipset Drivers

This has been the Case since 2016, after i made the Switch to Windows 10.(Yes My Windows is also Up-to-date, Fall Creators Update)

When i contacted a HP Support rep late last year, she basically checked the drivers, cleaned some temp junk and called it a day. As i know how hard it is working in customer support, I didn't want to give that poor woman any more trouble, i figured she had no clue and this was not their most popular issue.

Then i tested my Charger and Adapter for checking the power output and they were as advertised. 

Here's hoping to find any saviors on this legendary forum.

9 minutes ago, SimpleMan1997 said:

CPU - Load 100% - Battery : Plugged in(High/Best Performance mode) - Clock speed : 0.78 GHz (stable

CPU - Load 100% - Battery : Unplugged(High/Best performance mode) - Clock speed : above 2 GHz(and varying)

CPU load stress test while plugged in at 100% and 100% Best Performance Mode.Capture-charging.PNG.7c11790cbd400e8290bf3ee9cb1f6e36.PNG

CPU load stress test while on battery and 100% Best Performance Mode.

Capture-battery.PNG.f8040dd912f44463519eae7b498402a8.PNG

This Laptop is HP P045tx, Purchased it in 2014, Came with Windows 8.1, after Windows 10 was released i made the switch and everything was cool, except this.

Yes,

I have my drivers up-to-date with BIOS and Chipset Drivers

This has been the Case since 2016, after i made the Switch to Windows 10.(Yes My Windows is also Up-to-date, Fall Creators Update)

When i contacted a HP Support rep late last year, she basically checked the drivers, cleaned some temp junk and called it a day. As i know how hard it is working in customer support, I didn't want to give that poor woman any more trouble, i figured she had no clue and this was not their most popular issue.

Then i tested my Charger and Adapter for checking the power output and they were as advertised. 

Here's hoping to find any saviors on this legendary forum.

Go into power plans in control panel, and find the when charging power plan, find the additional settings, then set minimum cpu speed to 100%

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

3 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Go into power plans in control panel, and find the when charging power plan, find the additional settings, then set minimum cpu speed to 100%

it already was.

Try clean install Windows

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 1/14/2018 at 7:40 AM, ZM Fong said:

Try clean install Windows

Tried this for Fall Creators Update. Even Used Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe clean the hard drive and partitions, Then Freshly installed Windows. Didn't resolve the issue.

Then it's probably BIOS settings. Can't do anything with it.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Run Throttlestop 8.50 or 8.60 (if 8.60 is out) and uncheck "BD Prochot".  Then your CPU won't be 800 mhz anymore.

But make sure that you set "Battery profile" to profile #4, in Throttlestop options area (easy to do). and do NOT uncheck BD Prochot on battery profile #4 !

BD prochot is required on battery to prevent system power from exceeding battery limit (GPU+CPU full load).  That way if you ever unplug AC, TS will automatically switch to battery profile #4.

i'm confused, But my problem arises when it's plugged in not when unplugged, are we on the same page?

How about just clear the BD PROCHOT box and see if it makes any difference.  If your CPU suddenly starts running at full speed, we will try to explain this common throttling problem.

On 1/27/2018 at 12:04 AM, SimpleMan1997 said:

i'm confused, But my problem arises when it's plugged in not when unplugged, are we on the same page?

Yes, we know that.  Just do what unclewebb says and check.  No harm in doing that.

I mentioned the battery profile because you do *NOT* want BD prochot unchecked on battery profile, because one reason BD prochot exists is to limit CPU speed if battery starts pulling too much current.  Again, that's ONE reason for it.  BD Prochot is basically "throttling for any reason that is NOT CPU Power Limit (PL1/PL2) or CPU thermal limit.  Intel's documentations on this are virtually nonexistant, but BD Prochot is often used by the embedded controller to cause throttling when it doesn't like something (this is NOT the same thing as PECI power limits, which are ALSO controlled by the EC).

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2018 at 7:17 AM, Falkentyne said:

Yes, we know that.  Just do what unclewebb says and check.  No harm in doing that.

I mentioned the battery profile because you do *NOT* want BD prochot unchecked on battery profile, because one reason BD prochot exists is to limit CPU speed if battery starts pulling too much current.  Again, that's ONE reason for it.  BD Prochot is basically "throttling for any reason that is NOT CPU Power Limit (PL1/PL2) or CPU thermal limit.  Intel's documentations on this are virtually nonexistant, but BD Prochot is often used by the embedded controller to cause throttling when it doesn't like something (this is NOT the same thing as PECI power limits, which are ALSO controlled by the EC).

Is it fine if i uncheck BD Prochot in the performance tab in TS? Also does doing this cause harm to my laptop? Unchecking BD did stop CPU from underclocking.