Home Network Solution

Howdy everyone,

I'm looking for a solution to me poor quality internet connection at home.

I have Telus Fiber at home and I'm getting 175/175 next to the modem which is on the top floor of my house. (2nd floor - middle of house).

3535544426.png

The house a custom built mid 2000's home, without Ethernet in the walls. Just the coaxial cable connections in all the rooms (except the area where I have the systems all setup).

My desktop work station is currently running using a power line. 

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d-link-d-link-powerline-av500-mini-adapter-starter-kit-dhp-309av-dhp-309av/10227514.aspx

10227514.jpg

Unfortunately this is all I'm getting because the total distance from the telus router to the electrical panel, down to to sub panel, to this room is a solid 100 meters. (Yes, it's a big house!).

6960136025.png

I have spoken to Telus and they flat out refuse to come and rewire the hookup to start in this room. That's understandable.

I got a quote from an electrician to come out and JUST to wire this room, it's 750$... that won't be happening. 

Would a wifi booster and a wifi adapter on the desktops work better?

I'd just try running an ethernet cable yourself. 100ft cables are really cheap, as are 150ft cables. You can run them along the side of the wall, or run them yourself. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Power line adapters rarely work well, Im surprised you're getting the speeds you are getting. With repeaters you will have more latency but better throughput. If you were to wire the distance yourself you'd probably need a Ethernet repeater as 100 meters is far. I would say if all you cared about was throughput and ease of setup then go with a good/powerful repeater system. I mitigated a similar problem myself by just setting up my modem/router in my room rather than the living room.

2 minutes ago, zinton said:

Power line adapters rarely work well, Im surprised you're getting the speeds you are getting. With repeaters you will have more latency but better throughput. If you were to wire the distance yourself you'd probably need a Ethernet repeater as 100 meters is far. I would say if all you cared about was throughput and ease of setup then go with a good/powerful repeater system. I mitigated a similar problem myself by just setting up my modem/router in my room rather than the living room.

I wish I could just put the system in the room, however since it comes in a fiber, telus only wired the current room for fiber.

So running the cable myself seems like the only option ehh. Darn. Okay.

Just now, SmartenUp said:

I wish I could just put the system in the room, however since it comes in a fiber, telus only wired the current room for fiber.

Yeah it would be the all around more robust solution, just make sure you do your homework on whats needed, and make sure you see if you need any permits or redtape to cross for low voltage wiring where you live. 

13 minutes ago, SmartenUp said:

There is another option...You can investigate Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) type connections. This will use your existing COAX wiring for IP Data. Note the price of these can vary, and your home gateway may already support MoCA.

@IrwinAllen13 has a great idea. An unbonded Moca adapter should do 400Mbps and a bonded one should do around 800Mbps, though they are half duplex. But it should be a better option. What you could do, is see how hard it is to run a Ethernet cable from where you have coax to where your systems are. If its easy, then just use moca to a near by room and run Ethernet from there. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.