DisplayPort annoyance

VSTOLL

Hello guys,

I just got a new monitor, Dell U2718Q, great monitor, really impressed with the colors and sharpness, but there's an issue that I'm not sure if it is specific to this monitor or it's a setting that must be changed.

I'm running 3 displays on my PC: One older Dell, 21" FHD on DVI; One Wacom 13HD on HDMI and the new U2718Q on DisplayPort.

I'm really enjoying 3 displays, I can work on the tablet and have all my references on the other screens and be sure that the colors I'm working are correct. But, everytime I have to get up and I turn off the displays, the U2718Q disappears from the Nvidia Control Panel, the taskbar and all the windows that were opened go to the second monitor and when I turn it on again, I have to rearrange all the windows, and that is pretty annoying, specially if I want to get back on what I was working before as fast as possible.

Is there a way to fix this or it is a problem related to the monitor/displayport?

A video to show the problem: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bBIyhfCklhKIcZInbq_jfSHyUCQtIDQzlg

Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

Have you checked to see if the displayport is securely put into the port? Does anything move when you get up?

1 minute ago, Matthew Waring said:

Have you checked to see if the displayport is securely put into the port? Does anything move when you get up?

Yep, the cables are secured. Nothing moves when I get up.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

Have you tried using another display cable such as the HDMI port or mini display port on the monitor?

2 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

Have you tried using another display cable such as the HDMI port or mini display port on the monitor?

I'm using the mDP, my graphics card can't push 4K through the HDMI.

This is really weird considering that it seems that the computer is acting that the monitor is being disconnected, hence the programs being moved over to the other monitors. Does this only happen when you get up? And what do you mean by get up, are you sat on a chair at your desk or have setup on a low table?

Just now, Matthew Waring said:

This is really weird considering that it seems that the computer is acting that the monitor is being disconnected, hence the programs being moved over to the other monitors. Does this only happen when you get up? And what do you mean by get up, are you sat on a chair at your desk or have setup on a low table?

It happens whenever I turn the display off. I usually turn it all off when I go for lunch or a short break. It's a normal setup, normal desk and normal chair.

What happens when you just lock the computer and unlock it?

Just a random question but do you have multiple computers connected to the monitor that is having its programs moved?

2 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

What happens when you just lock the computer and unlock it?

Just a random question but do you have multiple computers connected to the monitor that is having its programs moved?

Nope, just one PC. Nothing happens when I lock and unlock the pc

Could you trying pressing Win + D to minimize all of your programs then recreate the situation and see if the issue still occurs? 

3 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

Could you trying pressing Win + D to minimize all of your programs then recreate the situation and see if the issue still occurs? 

Oh, that works, the windows are restored to the correct position if I minimize all of them before turning off the display, but, the taskbar and the desktop icons still goes to the second monitor.

8 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

Is the taskbar locked? To check right click the task bar and see if it is or isn't.

Yeah it is. The problem is that when I turn off the display, Windows stops detecting it and moves everything to the next display. I'll upload a video so I can show you

Here's the video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bBIyhfCklhKIcZInbq_jfSHyUCQtIDQzlg

6 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

My replies will be a bit slower as I'm currently out and the service is awful.

No worries man :) I appreciate your help!

So from reading I gather it happened after version 3xx of the Nvidia drivers were installed, you may have some issues but you could try downgrading before the version that it started occurring on and then use that until we can find a proper fix.

EDIT: but then some are saying it's to do with a certain pin in the display port connector.

45 minutes ago, VSTOLL said:

No worries man :) I appreciate your help!

From looking around, I may be able to find a fix but I wont be able to test it since I don't have a DisplayPort Cable. The problem for you is that you require a piece of software called DisplayFusion.

1 minute ago, Matthew Waring said:

From looking around, I may be able to find a fix but I wont be able to test it since I don't have a DisplayPort Cable.

No problem man!

I'll be using your tip to minimize all the windows before turning the displays off. I'll also try to downgrade the nvidia driver to the 362.00, I hope it helps, the problem is that it is a pretty old driver, and probably some other issues will happen.

Anyway, thank you for your help!

1 minute ago, VSTOLL said:

No problem man!

I'll be using your tip to minimize all the windows before turning the displays off. I'll also try to downgrade the nvidia driver to the 362.00, I hope it helps, the problem is that it is a pretty old driver, and probably some other issues will happen.

Anyway, thank you for your help!

No problem, if you do ever want to fully get a work around, THIS may do the trick. The software used to be cheap but there is a free version that may also be able to do it.

21 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

No problem, if you do ever want to fully get a work around, THIS may do the trick. The software used to be cheap but there is a free version that may also be able to do it.

Just tried displayFusion. It doesn't work, Windows still detects that the monitor is beign plugged off when I press the power button.

I connected the monitor over HDMI and I could get the 4K 60Hz to work but with only 8bit of color depth and chroma subsampling, which is unacceptabble for me. The colors look very washed out in HDMI compared to DisplayPort. :[

I guess it just seems to be one of those things that you will have to deal with until an actual fix comes out.

My last recommendation would be to just lay out your desktop so that there is minimal shortcuts and folders on there.

I saw on the video you have some artwork, do you have an account with your work as if its alright with you, I would like to see it.

29 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

I guess it just seems to be one of those things that you will have to deal with until an actual fix comes out.

My last recommendation would be to just lay out your desktop so that there is minimal shortcuts and folders on there.

I saw on the video you have some artwork, do you have an account with your work as if its alright with you, I would like to see it.

Yeah, that's really frustrating :/

I just tested with a PC that has a AMD card, the problem still occurs, but after I turn the display back on, the windows go back to the DP monitor, not on the correct size, but still something.

Sure man, I'm studying to become a concept artist, I don't have a website yet but I'm posting my work on instagram :)

https://www.instagram.com/vicstoll/

26 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Unfortunately this is normal behavior with DisplayPort.

Yeah, I found some extensive reddit threads discussing this issue. Looks like some newer models have an option on the OSD menu that can disable this behavior, but the majority doesn't have it.