I7 4790k "FUTURE"

Does i7-4790k still enough for next few years(~2y) in gaming? If I run it with gtx 1070.

Also have posibility to OC cpu

Or i should be up my cpu to Ryzen 2?(i'm also using multitasking mostly time) 

If it's overclocked, yes. It'll be fine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, JBondik said:

Does i7-4790k still enough for next few years(~2y) in gaming? If I run it with gtx 1070.

Even without an overclock to 4.6-4.8GHz, yes it will easily last for another 2 years of gaming if not longer. Remember Ryzen is actually worse off in nearly all games when compared to a 4790K.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

yeah, itll be fine. Most gaming applications are limited by the gpu and not the cpu. This is especially true for intel as their signle thread performance has always exceeded amd and thus will generally stay relevant longer. I have made super budget gaming rigs for people in the last few years by sourcing 2700's and 3770's paired with a modern gpu with no issue.

Yes its more than enough stick with the i7 4790k

Photography / Finance / Gaming

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Ryzen is actually worse off in nearly all games when compared to a 4790K.

I've got HUGE doubts here, especially when you are going to game on 1440p/4k.

3 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

I'm not going to play more than 1080p quality, then i7 will be enough for next few years?

2 minutes ago, JBondik said:

I'm not going to play more than 1080p quality, then i7 will be enough for next few years?

Yes, ignore him as he doesn't understand how cpu demand scales in games based on his comment.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4790k is basically a 6700k which is basically a 7700k so yea it'll be fine

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Yes, ignore him as he doesn't understand how cpu demand scales in games based on his comment.

well he isnt right about the 1440p comment but he also isnt wrong, ryzen is about on par with haswell in terms of performance

5a5697c34ce70_CBScores.png.b9c423bdc16aa339ac2d3a6c238e9314.png

OP
your 4790k will be perfectly fine for the next fea years, maybe longer, if a 2700k is still viable for gaming in 2018, the 4790k is also still viable

35 minutes ago, JBondik said:

The 4790K is cheaper used, and it also will kick ass compared to ryzen in gaming. It should last 2 years if you overclock.

56 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Here's the evidence:

Edit: There are timestamps in the description.

PMSL

38 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

well he isnt right about the 1440p comment but he also isnt wrong, ryzen is about on par with haswell in terms of performance

5a5697c34ce70_CBScores.png.b9c423bdc16aa339ac2d3a6c238e9314.png

OP
your 4790k will be perfectly fine for the next fea years, maybe longer, if a 2700k is still viable for gaming in 2018, the 4790k is also still viable

You know single thread is a thing...

6 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

You know single thread is a thing...

you know single threaded its like a stock haswell processor

5 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

you know single threaded its like a stock haswell processor

Cinebench R15 - Single Threaded

Cinebench R15 - Multi-Threaded

8 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Cinebench R15 - Single Threaded

Cinebench R15 - Multi-Threaded

152(my CB score) to 156(4770k) is not a huge difference considering the clock disparity of 500mhz between my 3.9ghz r5 1400 and a stock 4770k(4.4ghz)

like i said its like a haswell processor, all you did was prove my point that my low end ryzen processor matches performance with your haswell i7 and if someone gets a higher end ryzen processor they will get a single threaded score of around 160 which about the same as a 4790

idk what you were trying to accomplish here but all you did was prove my point that ryzen is on par with haswell which answers OP question that haswell will last him for the next few years

3 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

152 to 156(4770k) is not a huge difference considering the clock disparity of 500mhz between my 3.9ghz r5 1400 and a stock 4770k(4.4ghz)

like i said its like a haswell processor, all you did was prove my point that my low end ryzen processor matches performance with your haswell i7 and if someone gets a higher end ryzen processor they will get a single threaded score of around 160 which about the same as a 4790

idk what you were trying to accomplish here but all you did was prove my point that ryzen is on par with haswell which answers OP question that haswell will last him for the next few years

We are talking about the 4790K, not the 4770K which has a lower base+boost clock speed and an inferior TIM. The 4790K is far superior to anything Ryzen 5.

3.5GHz base vs 4GHz base, 3.9GHz boost vs 4.4GHz (4.2GHz all cores):
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare_CPUs/Intel_CM8064601464206,Intel_CM8064601710501/

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

We are talking about the 4790K, not the 4770K which has a lower base+boost clock speed and an inferior TIM. The 4790K is far superior to anything Ryzen 5.

it doesnt matter, a 4790k and 4770k perform about the same since its the same architecture

ryzen is like a haswell processor and that is very widely agreed on by the industry, also a 4790k will perform like crap when streaming and gaming compared to a r5 1600 so no it isnt anything you are claiming it to be

quit being an elitist cause you make the PC community look bad

4 hours ago, luigi90210 said:

it doesnt matter, a 4790k and 4770k perform about the same since its the same architecture

ryzen is like a haswell processor and that is very widely agreed on by the industry, also a 4790k will perform like crap when streaming and gaming compared to a r5 1600 so no it isnt anything you are claiming it to be

quit being an elitist cause you make the PC community look bad

No they don't. Are you blind? The clock speeds are completely different-the 4790K's base clock is higher than the 4770K's single core turbo. Thus making it faster-fast enough that very few games run better on the 1800X than they do on the 4790K. And only because they are the few games that scale well beyond 4 threads.

I'm not being an elitist BTW. The 4790K is more than good enough to last 2 or so years in gaming when paired with a GTX 1070 and I've provided evidence on that point. Hell, even an i5 4440 would be enough better performance than a Pentium G5460, and almost identical to a Ryzen 3 1600.

Also, have you ever used a 4790K, with Youtube open on 1 screen, 3DSMax on the center and blender on the other (powered by my GTX970+Intel HD4600+GTX 650ti 2GB)? My computer handled it just fine-and its only got the DDR3 1333 that was bought in tandem with my old i5.

PMSL

28 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

No they don't. Are you blind? The clock speeds are completely different-the 4790K's base clock is higher than the 4770K's single core turbo. Thus making it faster-fast enough that very few games run better on the 1800X than they do on the 4790K. And only because they are the few games that scale well beyond 4 threads.

holy intel shill batman he's claiming a less than 1% difference is worlds better omg he must be the smartest man alive

Spoiler

r7-1700-aots_copy.png

r7-1700-watch-dogs-2.pngr7-1700-battlefield_1.pngr7-1700-mll.png

r7-1700-gta-v_copy.png

I'm not being an elitist BTW. The 4790K is more than good enough to last 2 or so years in gaming when paired with a GTX 1070 and I've provided evidence on that point.

1513302013379.jpg.891088ace104927efdbed55bc8d56438.jpg

i never said that OP should upgrade, i never said that ryzen was better i just said it was about the same performance and if ryzen is still viable for gaming, that obviously mean your old haswell processor is as well, idk why you are arguing with me when i agree with you

Hell, even an i5 4440 would be enough better performance than a Pentium G5460, and almost identical to a Ryzen 3 1600.

no such processor as a R3 1600 try again please

Also, have you ever used a 4790K, with Youtube open on 1 screen, 3DSMax on the center and blender on the other (powered by my GTX970+Intel HD4600+GTX 650ti 2GB)? My computer handled it just fine-and its only got the DDR3 1333 that was bought in tandem with my old i5.

i own a 4790k system clocked at 4.7ghz, i also own a i5 6600k system clocked at 4.5ghz as well as a i5 2400 system i use as my LAN machine, i use my r5 1400 over those machines cause i draw a little less power and i get about the same performance as they do outside of obvious CPU bound titles like CSGO(which i dont play so it doesnt matter to me), you're making it seem like your 4790k is worlds better than a ryzen processor and it isnt, my 1070ti is able to stretch its legs on my ryzen system just like its able to stretch its legs on both my semi modern intel machines and i wouldnt pair that with my i5 2400 for obvious bottlenecking reasons

10 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

I don't know how CPU's work. You put in magic and pixies, and things come out. But what I do know... AMD compared their top-end R7 CPU's with Intel higher end CPU's. They did demonstrations, and they would look and feel the same, where Ryzen would sometimes feel better. This was all done on 4k, making the GPU the bottleneck. Making the GPU sweat alot, so the FPS are kinda the same. But when reviewers lowered the graphics output to 1080, the GPU no longer was the bottleneck, making Ryzen perform a bit worse then the high end Intel CPU's. (bit worse, but still awesome and worth every currency unit)

Because of these facts, I claimed that 1440p and up makes the difference in FPS less since you remove the bottleneck/shift priorities. But due to not understanding magic and pixies, I had to say I highly doubt a statement, because other then the text above, I can't explain it any better. I remain doubtfull, personal opinion and something to think about by others.

yes it will be fine, the I7 4790K is still one of the best CPUs out there for gameing

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You will be fine. I have an i7 3770 overclocked to 4.4GHz which makes it roughly equal to a stock 4790K @ 4GHz and it handles every AAA game well, well over 60fps @ 1080P. In fact my GPU, an R9 Fury (a bit slower than your GTX 1070) is the main bottleneck in most games.

If you ever upgrade to say, a 1080 Ti (or a future card that is a lot faster than a GTX 1070) then it may be worth overclocking the 4790K in order to avoid bottlenecking the GPU, but for a GTX 1070 a stock 4790K will handle it just fine.