Installing Steam OS in Virtualbox

nathanhd123

First of all this isn't my guide but one I found over on the steam community, here's the original thread: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/0/648814395797000712/

Obviously running the OS in side of Virtual box means it won't run as well as a proper install however it is a good way to get a taste of the OS without dedicating an entire machine to it.

Here are the instructions:

1.) Unzip contents of folder, SteamOSInstaller.zip
2.) ISO contents of folder, with same directory hierarchy.
3.) Create debian64-bit virtual machine.
4.) Enable EFI in the settings for said virtual machine.
5.) Boot up the machine, and mount the install disk you created.
6.) Once booted type FS0:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX640 into the "2.0 Shell>" prompt, and press enter.

you're going to have to sit at the "error: prefix is not set" thing for a minute before GRUB actually comes up.

7.) Follow the instructions here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/648814395741989999/ under "How do I install SteamOS" after "Pick "Automated Install" from the next menu."

... after this there were more steps:
1.) Install VBoxAdditions
2.) To do so: Log in using the recovery mode from the GRUB bootloader.
3.) Under devices in virtualbox click install guest additions.
4.) Type in these commands
"mkdir ~/vboxadds/"
"mount /dev/disk/by-id/ata-[the vbox cdrom drive] ~/vboxadds/"
"cd ~/vboxadds/"
"./[the vbox additions binary].run"
"reboot"

After you boot in, and login with "steam" "steam", it may take some time for you to get to a desktop, be patient. Also I got in by logging in to "Default Xsession", and then loading up Big Picture mode.

If installing VBox Additions isn't working for you try this instead:

1. Click on Insert Guest Additions CD Image under Devices

2. Type: mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom     Press Enter

3. Type: sh /media/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run   Press Enter

4. Type: reboot   Press Enter

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

:D Installing it right now!

let us know how it goes, good luck!

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

Good luck to those brave souls <3

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

I would, but it's Green Team only.

If you can install it on Virtual Box i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

Signatures are stupid.

how do i find the the vbox additions binary? I was using the tutorial that was posted in the steam community and when ever i get to the stem "mount /dev/disk/by-id/ata-[the vbox cdrom drive] ~/vboxadds/" it says " mount: /dev/sr0 already mounted or /root/vbooxadds? busy" is there something i did wrong? then i move onto "./[the vbox additions binary].run" and the one on steam said tha i should tyoe in "./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" but when i put that in I get the error "bash: ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run: No shuch file or directory" so what have i don wrong and how can i fix it?

how do i find the the vbox additions binary? I was using the tutorial that was posted in the steam community and when ever i get to the stem "mount /dev/disk/by-id/ata-[the vbox cdrom drive] ~/vboxadds/" it says " mount: /dev/sr0 already mounted or /root/vbooxadds? busy" is there something i did wrong? then i move onto "./[the vbox additions binary].run" and the one on steam said tha i should tyoe in "./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" but when i put that in I get the error "bash: ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run: No shuch file or directory" so what have i don wrong and how can i fix it?

Devices -> Install guest additions.

Signatures are stupid.

So I get to step 6 'Once booted type FS0:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX640 into the "2.0 Shell>" prompt, and press enter.'  However I can't use the \ key when typing this, I've even tried another keyboard, any ideas?

So I get to step 6 'Once booted type FS0:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX640 into the "2.0 Shell>" prompt, and press enter.'  However I can't use the \ key when typing this, I've even tried another keyboard, any ideas?

Try the # button, that's what it was on my keyboard.

It recognizes American Keyboards so use this image for reference:

540px-Computer-keyboard-United-States-No

I can't see any of your settings but here is a more in depth guide that you can use to make sure you have it set up correctly. 

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204085700

i did that and it still did not work i even tried mounting the steam iso to ~/vboxadds and then putting in the guest additions and that did not work either i will try again but nothing seems to work

i did that and it still did not work i even tried mounting the steam iso to ~/vboxadds and then putting in the guest additions and that did not work either i will try again but nothing seems to work

If you are talking about the VBox additions try this instead:

1. Click on Insert Guest Additions CD Image under Devices

2. Type: mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom     Press Enter

3. Type: sh /media/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run   Press Enter

4. Type: reboot   Press Enter

I have officially got it installed with VirtualBox so I can confirm it works. If you are having problems adding the VBox Additions then please try my comment above, it worked for me.

it says the prefix dev/cdrom/media/cdrom does not exist

Devices -> Install guest additions.

there is no install guest additions the is only insert guest additions cd immage

so when ever i try to mount my cd drive it says that the file is already mounted or busy and i dont have install guest additions buttons so what am i doing wrong

and if i put the steam iso back in it miunts a read only thing onto the vbox adds and it i do the way that nathanhd123 told me it dose not work either, and no one els seems to have this problem  should i just give up?

so when ever i try to mount my cd drive it says that the file is already mounted or busy and i dont have install guest additions buttons so what am i doing wrong

and if i put the steam iso back in it miunts a read only thing onto the vbox adds and it i do the way that nathanhd123 told me it dose not work either, and no one els seems to have this problem  should i just give up?

To be honest, you aren't missing out on much at this stage. The OS doesn't have the main feature (for me anyway) of home streaming implemented yet anyway. Only when that is added will I start using it properly because at the moment it just seems like Steam big picture mode.

Try the # button, that's what it was on my keyboard.

It recognizes American Keyboards so use this image for reference:

540px-Computer-keyboard-United-States-No

You are a God, thanks!

ok so now i got every thing done and it is installed and up i guess but the only problem is areter i reboot and try to start it up all i get is a black screen, i have turned on 3d acceleration so whats up?

ok so now i got every thing done and it is installed and up i guess but the only problem is areter i reboot and try to start it up all i get is a black screen, i have turned on 3d acceleration so whats up?

How long are you waiting for it to start up?

like forty minutes, another thing the screen where i choose to go into recovery mode or regular start up is just blue and black there is no little Debian swirl in the corner with a grey background, i tried maxing out the video memory and turning on 3d acceleration should i have had those on from the beginning and now it all effed up? i could post a screen shot if that will help

so yay the place where i choose between regular mode and recovery mode looks like this http://i.imgur.com/ixonJMQ.png?1 any help? i think the same thing makeing it look like this is what makes my screen go black when i start it up